Tattoos and weight loss

I'm curious what happened to anybody's tattoos after significant weight loss.

Replies

• schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    I could be crazy, but I have two rather large ones on my forearm and they look slightly bigger to me. I was at my highest weight when I got them (284 lbs) and I am currently at 217, with about another 60 to go.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    schac061 wrote: »
    I could be crazy, but I have two rather large ones on my forearm and they look slightly bigger to me. I was at my highest weight when I got them (284 lbs) and I am currently at 217, with about another 60 to go.

Probably because there's less of you now so proportionally its bigger.

I think it depends on where the tattoo was and when it was done. My sister was slim when she had a tattoo on her hip @18, she gained a fair bit of weight during both her pregnancies (from about 60kg to 80kg) first child was @30 and being on her hip its an area that expanded during pregnancy. Now she is back to pre-pregnancy weight her tattoo is not as crisp.

If I had a tattoo on my foot it would be unlikely to have changed as I dont gain/lose weight in my feet as my weight changes.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I've been thinking of getting my first tattoo as a reward. Originally I thought when I have lost 100 lbs, but now that I'm getting close, I'm pushing it back to closer to my final goal.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    No change in mine after losing 90lbs and gaining back 12. Although I don't have any on my stomach.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Some factors are whether the tattoo is small or covers a large area, how much that area stretches/reduces, whether any stretch marks occur under the tattoo area, the elasticity of the skin, the design of the tattoo (if it can expand/retract without altering the design), the technique of the tattooist and with that the quality of the tattoo ...

Lots of variables.

Many tattoos look a bit deflated after rapid weight loss until the skin regains a bit of elasticity. Some are ruined forever.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!