HI! I'M HERE TO LOSE WEIGHT! READ MY PLAN PLEASE!

Options
My current stats are 5'9" (69 inches/ 175 centimeters), 214 pounds (97 kilograms) and I'm a 19 year old female. My goal is to lose 60 pounds (27 kilograms) in 18-23 weeks. I start today (February 19, 2017)!

My diet plan is to eat 1200 calories a day (I'll eat anything I want, as long as it's not over 1200), TRY to drink 12 cups (96 ounces/ 2.8 Liters) or at least 8 cups (64 ounces/1.89 Liters) a day.

I will work out 5 days a week, mainly 45 minutes of moderate cardio and 15 minutes of strength training.

I will also walk 2 miles per hour (3.218688 kilometers per hour) everyday for 30 minutes.

WISH ME LUCK!

Replies

• GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • artluv22
    artluv22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Please introduce yourself, if you don't mind. I'd love to hear your story
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Too much activity with too little calories IMO.

BMR is nearly 1600 BTW

Hypothetical woman 19 5'9" maintaining 150lbs

Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1852
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2122
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2392
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2662
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2932
  • artluv22
    Options
    The thing is, I'd like to lose 3 lbs a week. I'm willing to do the daily walking and 5x a week workout for an hour. But in order to lose 3 lbs a week with this exercise plan, how many calories should i intake?
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Losing 3 lbs a week is kinda setting yourself up for failure.

Generally it is healthy to lose no more then 2 lbs a week usually less. Working out doesn't help you lose weight either. It will tone up your muscles, but if you are to aggressive you won't maintain the weight loss plan.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Options
    artluv22 wrote: »
    The thing is, I'd like to lose 3 lbs a week. I'm willing to do the daily walking and 5x a week workout for an hour. But in order to lose 3 lbs a week with this exercise plan, how many calories should i intake?

@artluv22 see my first post
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I like that you have a clear plan! The calories seem low and the goal of 3 lbs a week seems high. You will probably be able to start at that rate but it will drop off. The key is to not get discouraged and keep your motivation high. I would recommend taking some "before" pictures...those are always good motivation when the scale slows down.

In contrast, I am a 52 year old woman who has struggled with my weight always...I'm 5'4" and lightly active as well. at 1200 calories a day (I work out several days a week and don't eat back any of those calories) I lose 1 lb a week on average. It is a bummer and feels slow but from all I've read on the boards, it's the best way for long term success.

Keep reading other people's stories, explore the sight and you will find tons of info. Good luck, it will be fun to follow your journey!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    The problem with your plan is that even at 23 weeks, you're talking about an average loss of 2.6 lbs. With a bit of help from some initial water loss, you might be able to manage that for the first 10 weeks or 12 weeks at that rate, but it's unlikely you'll be able to maintain a large enough deficit to continue that rate of loss as you get nearer to a "healthy" BMI.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, sounds unrealistic. You will need more calories with that much exercise. Set SMART goals not unrealistic goals.
  • dfaichmarie2
    dfaichmarie2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I'm sure it's disappointing to see everyone's opinions. But remember, you'll look and feel incrementally better with every pound lost. So it's not like you'll have to wait for that last pound before you feel good. I've got 20 lbs left (40 lbs gone) and I feel and look great. So take the good advice you're getting, and look forward to getting more awesome every day! :)

I like your way of thinking Tmac. I too have lost 45 lbs and it took 18 months. Still want to lose 14 more. Great advice!
  • artluv22
    Options
    Alright guys. I have read everybody's post and I think you are all correct. Since I'm doing 225 minutes of moderate/vigorous cardio and 210 minutes of walking (basically 435 minutes of cardio!) a week, along with 75 minutes of strength training, I should definitely eat more. I will keep the workout the same, but eat 1450 calories a day now.

These first two weeks, however, i will eat 1200 calories and do the same exercise plan. Just to see how it works. Thank you!
  • Ziggy1031
    Ziggy1031 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I've lost 50lbs so far and it has taken about 8 months. Also remember as a female losing weight too fast can cause havic with your hormones and cause you to spot or have irregular cycles. Slow and steady is "weigh" healthier than fast. With the slow and steady approach you retrain yourself for lifestyle. the fast is more like a diet and once you reach your goal you get in the mindset that you can eat what you want and be fine. Lifestyle change is better. Best wishes!!
  • artluv22
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rF1rFLie6Y

This is the video I'm going by (except for the waist training. I most likely won't do that). I will add exercise from the start but will eat 1200 calories the first 1-2 weeks with the exercises, then 1450 calories the rest of the weight loss journey with the exercises.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Options
    Alright guys. I have read everybody's post and I think you are all correct. Since I'm doing 225 minutes of moderate/vigorous cardio and 210 minutes of walking (basically 435 minutes of cardio!) a week, along with 75 minutes of strength training, I should definitely eat more. I will keep the workout the same, but eat 1450 calories a day now.

These first two weeks, however, i will eat 1200 calories and do the same exercise plan. Just to see how it works. Thank you!

So you're eating back your calories burned?
    Right?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm confused. If your original goal was to lose 3 lbs/week by eating 1200 calories, bumping that up to 1450 calories/day means you're now expecting to lose 2.5 lbs/week, which is still too aggressive, unrealistic, and unsustainable.

How are you coming up with these daily calorie goal numbers? Are you letting MFP's guided set up determine the calories for you, are you just picking a number that sounds right to you?
  • artluv22
    Options

So you're eating back your calories burned?
    Right?

No, I will not eat back my calories. So i burn 100 calories at the gym, I won't eat an additional 100 calories
  • artluv22
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rF1rFLie6Y

This is the video I'm going by (except for the waist training. I most likely won't do that). I will add exercise from the start but will eat 1200 calories the first 1-2 weeks with the exercises, then 1450 calories the rest of the weight loss journey with the exercises.

Okay, I took one for the team and watched that video.

She has absolutely NO IDEA what she's talking about.

Green tea does not "boost your metabolism."

You don't have to stop eating at 8 pm. It doesn't matter *when* you eat as long as you stay under your calorie allotment for the day. Food eaten after 8pm does not magically turn to fat.

Waist training is a complete hoax.

Just because someone posts a "Vanity Vlog" doesn't mean they have a clue what they're doing, nor does it make them in anyway qualified to advise others in matters of health and nutrition.

Please reconsider.

Trust me, I know waist training does not make you lose weight. It just thins the waist (I won't do it). The sleeping 9 hours, drinking green tea, and cold showers are really for me to have energy in the morning. I don't want to drink coffee.

But how is losing 3 lbs a week so bad? What's another pound, especially at my weight and height?