KETO & OMAD the best weight loss marriage!!

Options

Replies

• deborahbarnes904
    deborahbarnes904 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you're doing OMAD you're already stuffing your face once a day. This is not a healthy mindset and it does not strengthen long-term positive habits.

My max weight loss was roughly 200lbs. My experience with OMAD is I eventually got sick. I eventually gained back about 100lbs. I did keto on and off through the years. I started to do it again and I Lost about 50lbs putting me at a 150lbs weight loss. I stalled out a bit, took a diet break. Stress hit gained those 50lbs right back.

I'm sorry you didn't have success with OMAD. Not everyone does OMAD the same as you. I do not ever "stuff" my face. Today I'm consuming 800 calories, keto, OMAD. Each person has to find what works for them and their personality. OMAD wasn't for you. I know many who refuse to acknowledge Keto works for weight loss.

Each person should be encouraged to keep trying to find what works for them. YouTube is full of persons successful on OMAD alone without keto. One in particular losing over 100 lbs and are going strong.

Thanks for your input.

You are losing that weight from very low calorie intake. Not healthy and certainly not something to promote.

Eat low calories habitually is unhealthy. Doing 5:2 fasting is beneficial though I have not done low calories since I started in January. My weight loss stems from keto and OMAD.

Thanks for your input.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your sucecess so far! I agree that you may want to join the Low Carber Daily group. Many keto'ers there.

I've been keto fo quite a qhile and find that reduced meal number is quite complimentary to the diet too. Before keto I had reactive hypoglycemia so I ate every couple of hours or I had the cold sweats and shakes. Now, I generally eat breafast somewhere between 12 and 2pm and dinner around 6 or 7pm. I occassionally eat OMAD too. The only reason I don't do it more often is that I have IR so eating 1500+ calories in one sitting tends to raise my BG. There's a lot of freedon in not worrying about getting hungry. :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    16+ pounds in a month is entirely unrealistic and generally unhealthy by ALL standards. That's double the recommended healthy weight loss that's accepted by this community and most doctors.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you're doing OMAD you're already stuffing your face once a day. This is not a healthy mindset and it does not strengthen long-term positive habits.

My max weight loss was roughly 200lbs. My experience with OMAD is I eventually got sick. I eventually gained back about 100lbs. I did keto on and off through the years. I started to do it again and I Lost about 50lbs putting me at a 150lbs weight loss. I stalled out a bit, took a diet break. Stress hit gained those 50lbs right back.

I'm sorry you didn't have success with OMAD. Not everyone does OMAD the same as you. I do not ever "stuff" my face. Today I'm consuming 800 calories, keto, OMAD. Each person has to find what works for them and their personality. OMAD wasn't for you. I know many who refuse to acknowledge Keto works for weight loss.

Each person should be encouraged to keep trying to find what works for them. YouTube is full of persons successful on OMAD alone without keto. One in particular losing over 100 lbs and are going strong.

Thanks for your input.

You are losing that weight from very low calorie intake. Not healthy and certainly not something to promote.

She did say she consumed 1,500 calories on average. For a woman, Consuming 800 calories in 1 meal is still stuffing your face. Obviously, consuming 1,500 calories is worse.

Say what?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for your input.

She did say she consumed 1,500 calories on average. For a woman, Consuming 800 calories in 1 meal is still stuffing your face. Obviously, consuming 1,500 calories is worse.

Say what?

Take a loose average of a woman's maintenance calories. Let us say 2,000 calories a day. 800 calories are 40% of that. That is almost half of your daily food requirement in 1 sitting.

And? If it's also your biggest meal of the day, that's perfectly reasonable. Not to mention, 800 calories of calorie dense food could make a reasonably small meal - say a decent sized burger. Hardly "stuffing your face".

And on your 2000 a day, that still leaves 1200 a day for breakfast, lunch and snacks. That's a pretty generous allowance.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

Take a loose average of a woman's maintenance calories. Let us say 2,000 calories a day. 800 calories are 40% of that. That is almost half of your daily food requirement in 1 sitting.

And?

My hunger patterns work that way.

I am not hungry early in the day and eat around 1000 calories, every day, within 2 hours at night. That's of a daily intake of anywhere from 1400-1800 calories.

I weigh 115 pounds on my way to 110, maintaining a loss down from 210 from over 2 years ago. Not a quick loss at all.

800 calories doesn't even begin to touch some restaurant meals and is hardly stuffing one's face.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

And? If it's also your biggest meal of the day, that's perfectly reasonable. Not to mention, 800 calories of calorie dense food could make a reasonably small meal - say a decent sized burger. Hardly "stuffing your face".

And on your 2000 a day, that still leaves 1200 a day for breakfast, lunch and snacks. That's a pretty generous allowance.

Everything you said just reinforces bad habits. Meals with a high-calorie density really do not help anyone. The only way to achieve meals with high calories density is junk food or high fat. Both will not offer much to satiety.

People should eat more often than 1 to 2 times a day. With larger meals, you're just training your body to consume more food per sitting. It's like weight training lifting little girl weights(eating more frequently with smaller meals) will not do much. If you start to add intensity(large meals) you adapt. What was previously difficult is now easy. Do you want to be able to consume a lot more food more easily? Obviously not.

I had 1000 calories tonight with 2 hours. Here's the menu:

Bean pasta with olive oil and broccoli
    Peanut butter protein fluff topped with walnuts and some light Hershey's syrup

Not high fat, not junk food. Try again.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

Everything you said just reinforces bad habits. Meals with a high-calorie density really do not help anyone. The only way to achieve meals with high calories density is junk food or high fat. Both will not offer much to satiety.

People should eat more often than 1 to 2 times a day. With larger meals, you're just training your body to consume more food per sitting. It's like weight training lifting little girl weights(eating more frequently with smaller meals) will not do much. If you start to add intensity(large meals) you adapt. What was previously difficult is now easy. Do you want to be able to consume a lot more food more easily? Obviously not.

There's nothing wrong with eating one or two larger meals, if that is what helps someone feel satisfied and they are still able to meet their nutritional needs. Eating several small meals each day leaves me stabby and endangers those around me. I feel better eating three reasonable sized meals and usually a snack before bed. Losing just fine, and can pick up more than the pink weights. Some people find fat more filling than others, which is one of the reasons why keto works well for some people. Personally, the restrictions don't work for me. My concerns with the OPs choices have nothing to do with the 5:2, or the OMAD, or the Keto. I think that these things are fine, if they work for her. One of the struggles with diet is that people feel like they have to make drastic changes to how they eat or what they eat. The more dramatic the changes, the more likely they will fail, because it isn't something that they personally prefer. Dietary adherence is a much stronger predictor of success than the things you are suggesting.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

There's nothing wrong with eating one or two larger meals, if that is what helps someone feel satisfied and they are still able to meet their nutritional needs. Eating several small meals each day leaves me stabby and endangers those around me. I feel better eating three reasonable sized meals and usually a snack before bed. Losing just fine, and can pick up more than the pink weights. Some people find fat more filling than others, which is one of the reasons why keto works well for some people. Personally, the restrictions don't work for me. My concerns with the OPs choices have nothing to do with the 5:2, or the OMAD, or the Keto. I think that these things are fine, if they work for her. One of the struggles with diet is that people feel like they have to make drastic changes to how they eat or what they eat. The more dramatic the changes, the more likely they will fail, because it isn't something that they personally prefer. Dietary adherence is a much stronger predictor of success than the things you are suggesting.

All of this.

If it feels natural to eat once a day or to eat keto, this thread is cool.

If it's a struggle, then... eh.

Annnnnnd to the detractor who is saying that you HAVE to eat more often... no, if it doesn't feel natural to have little meals spread out, if adhering to that makes dieting more difficult, then no, that is not a good thing.

There's only one "should" with dieting, and that's creating a calorie deficit. That's it.

After that? It's all personal preference.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

I am sorry, I do understand what you're saying. I do not think you understand what I am saying. Sure all those things work. The question is "For how long???" That's my point. Look at the thinner countries. Their portion sizes, their meal frequency.

I was a strong advocate for IF, I done it for over 4 years. I was one of the first to preach it on the forums. I got a ton of hate for it. Intermittent fasting is just over eating. You are just reinforcing it.

You are completely missing what I'm saying. IF works for some. I'm not reinforcing anything other that following what works for you as an individual. Personally, I don't follow IF, OMAD, 5:2, LCHF, or any other specific restrictions. The only foods I won't eat are the ones I don't like. I think that having stringent rules on what you can and can't eat sets people up for failure (generally speaking, for some it works).

For me, dietary restrictions have only lead to a darker place. I ate something bad, therefore I am bad, and a failure, so I may as well give up today and start again tomorrow. The next time, might as well start again next week. Removing all of those rules, allowed me a freedom to enjoy my food and still strive toward my goals. I eat when I want and usually what I want.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

And?

I am not hungry early in the day and eat around 1000 calories, every day, within 2 hours at night. That's of a daily intake of anywhere from 1400-1800 calories.

I weigh 115 pounds on my way to 110, maintaining a loss down from 210 from over 2 years ago. Not a quick loss at all.

800 calories doesn't even begin to touch some restaurant meals and is hardly stuffing one's face.

If this was 2 years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you, unfortunately, it is not. Let me state for the record, of course, there are some who can be successful with this approach. I have kept a 100lbs loss for 6 years.

I have done all that stuff you have mentioned and I also learned from it as well.Part of our disagreement is how we view successful weight loss. I see successful weight loss is eating food, knowing you had enough and stopping, without any effort. Some can call this "naturally thin."

Now you set a time limit for your eating. You're also counting calories. That is not effortless weight loss. I have been on and off the forums for about 7 years now. Some years more active than others. I have only come across 3 people I recognized from the last time I was here. I was here about 2 years ago. It is recommended to lose 1-2lbs a week.
    In 2 years that would be 104-208lbs.

I'm sorry but you don't get to define the parameters of successful maintenance habits for everyone no matter what you think. That's really hubris there on your part.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

Depends on how you define "junk food." Junk food is high-calorie foods. With a few exceptions, like olive oil(used sparingly). Foods that are 180 calories or more per 100 grams are considered high-calorie foods.

Peanut butter shake = 367 calories per 100 grams.
    Olive oil = extremely high
    walnuts = 654 calories per gram

More hubris. You automatically presumed I overate the fat and don't know what I'm doing.

Junk food = high calorie foods? I'm seeing some disordered thinking coming from you. Fats are essential nutrients, dude. Walnuts are healthy foods full of good essential fats and I ate all of 10 grams of them. Oh, the horror. As for the olive oil on the pasta? I had a teaspoon.

Peanut butter protein powder... you're going to have issue with that? Try again on the calorie count. It's 110 calories. And I had 5 grams of actual peanut butter, again for the fat. I have very little actual fat in my diet, I have to work to get to 50 grams a day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

And?

If this was 2 years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you, unfortunately, it is not. Let me state for the record, of course, there are some who can be successful with this approach. I have kept a 100lbs loss for 6 years.

I have done all that stuff you have mentioned and I also learned from it as well.Part of our disagreement is how we view successful weight loss. I see successful weight loss is eating food, knowing you had enough and stopping, without any effort. Some can call this "naturally thin."

Now you set a time limit for your eating. You're also counting calories. That is not effortless weight loss. I have been on and off the forums for about 7 years now. Some years more active than others. I have only come across 3 people I recognized from the last time I was here. I was here about 2 years ago. It is recommended to lose 1-2lbs a week.

hunger and appetite suppressant is controlled by hormones which can be permanently altered based on previous lifestyle choices. Basing the "success" of someone's efforts on their ability to tell when is appropriate to stop eating (or start) is faulty methodology.

This falls in line with individuals who believe "intuitive eating" will get them thin and healthy from morbid obesity. Sorry guys, it just doesn't work that way.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been LCHF (keto) for nearly 3 years and have lost 84lbs - started at 210lbs. I'm now 6lb from my goal weight.
    Keto comes in many forms and I follow eating that is higher in protein than fat.
    I don't fast - sounds like hard work to me!
    I don't spend hours in the gym - I get in my 10k steps a day and do 2-3 swims a week.
    I don't have a meltdown and throw it all out the window if I suddenly decide to have an ice cream with my grandsons or a few wines (or more).
    You see... it took me 35+ years to put all that weight on.
    I can afford to take my time to lose it and on that journey work out what does and doesn't work for me and why I got to the size I did.
    It's about making a life choice.
    It's about believing you can do it.
    It's not a diet, it's a change of eating for life.
    There are no cheat days or treat days.. there a just days that are sometimes better than others.
    On ketosis... that is a state indicating that the body is using ketones for fuel, not glycogen. The benefits are many in terms of health but it is not essential for weight loss. Weight loss is calorific deficit - pure and simple.
  • deborahbarnes904
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! I seriously had a down day all because I allowed this individual on my thread to take what was supposed to be positive and encouragement into a defense, and try to untwist what he habitually twists, assumes and presumes.

It would make sense if a weight loss protocol doesn't work for you, you wouldn't go harassing persons who are having success with it!

Thank you for giving me a voice because I didn't have it in me to speak today.
  • deborahbarnes904
    Options
    In the stage of true infancy I've created a OMAD & Keto place to share with those using fasting protocols, IF, OMAD along with a ketogenic lifestyle. https://www.facebook.com/groups/418596058477154. A place where opposers have no admittance.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

And?

hunger and appetite suppressant is controlled by hormones which can be permanently altered based on previous lifestyle choices. Basing the "success" of someone's efforts on their ability to tell when is appropriate to stop eating (or start) is faulty methodology.

This falls in line with individuals who believe "intuitive eating" will get them thin and healthy from morbid obesity. Sorry guys, it just doesn't work that way.

What other ways would you define success? Counting calories for the rest of your life? It is unrealistic. I have never come across and old person who has counted calories for many years of their life.

The hormones are controlled by food. Your food choices play the biggest factor in hormonal regulation.

Did i say calorie counting forever? No. Calorie counting is a tool to develop the habits and knowledge you need to guestimate or have a general idea of how much you're eating each day. As someone who has maintained over 6 years now that's what i've used.

If i hadn't calorie counted and had an idea about what a normal serving size is, how many calories something has, etc. I would never have lost weight and i certainly wouldn't have maintained it. Once you have lost the weight you need to lose switching to weighing yourself every month or so to track trends (and adjust as necessary) and using the skills you've learned to know when enough is enough is how you succeed long-term.

If i were to eat intuitively now I would blow up to as big as I was before if not larger. Intuitive eating is what got me fat in the first place.

And the two hunger hormones don't work that way.

First of all ghrelin which stimulate appetite can be altered by the size of your stomach, how full your stomach is (and how far it's stretched). Individuals who have had WLS for example have much lower levels of ghrelin, whereas individuals who have never had WLS but lost a large amount of weight never stop producing so much ghrelin.

Leptin which suppresses appetite when you are at a healthy body weight (and above into obesity) depends on how many adipose cells you have. I'm sure you know this, but adipocytes don't just vanish once the triglycerides they carry are used. Individuals who have been overweight for a long period of time will continue to produce higher levels of leptin and many develop leptin resistance.

There are hundreds of factors that go into whether or not we feel hungry or full. Relying on these queues is how so many people are fat today. Relying on objective data like "how many calories am i eating today" is far more useful in maintenance of healthy body weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! I seriously had a down day all because I allowed this individual on my thread to take what was supposed to be positive and encouragement into a defense, and try to untwist what he habitually twists, assumes and presumes.

It would make sense if a weight loss protocol doesn't work for you, you wouldn't go harassing persons who are having success with it!

My concern with what you are doing (on the first page of this gong show) was regarding the rapid loss, not anything to do with your choices on OMAD, 5:2, or keto. Those are all personal preferences. I'm glad you are happy with your chosen plan.

If you continue to lose more than 2lbs/week, you might consider increasing your calorie intake to help meet nutritional needs as well as protect your muscle mass while in the weight loss phase.

It helps to slow your losses as you get closer to goal to help you transition into maintenance. Another factor which influences your ability to maintain is having an exit plan. If you go back to old habits, it will very likely come back on. Best wishes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Say what?

Depends on how you define "junk food." Junk food is high-calorie foods. With a few exceptions, like olive oil(used sparingly). Foods that are 180 calories or more per 100 grams are considered high-calorie foods.

Peanut butter shake = 367 calories per 100 grams.
    Olive oil = extremely high
    walnuts = 654 calories per gram

More hubris. You automatically presumed I overate the fat and don't know what I'm doing.

Junk food = high calorie foods? I'm seeing some disordered thinking coming from you. Fats are essential nutrients, dude. Walnuts are healthy foods full of good essential fats and I ate all of 10 grams of them. Oh, the horror. As for the olive oil on the pasta? I had a teaspoon.

Peanut butter protein powder... you're going to have issue with that? Try again on the calorie count. It's 110 calories. And I had 5 grams of actual peanut butter, again for the fat. I have very little actual fat in my diet, I have to work to get to 50 grams a day.

I said, "The only way to achieve meals with high calories density is junk food or high fat." How will you define junk food? Based on carb content, fat content, or protein content? Carbs are not bad, neither is fat, or protein. You used high-calorie foods, and high-fat foods, just like I said.

Most protein powders are 28-32g of protein(talking about mass). I just randomly picked a peanut butter protein. The one I picked contained 110 calories (just like you said) for 30grams.

"Foods that are 180 calories or more per 100 grams are considered high-calorie foods. "
    100g * (110 calories / 30g) = 367 calories for 100 grams.

Is 367 greater than 180???

I didn't eat 100 grams. I ate 30. You are twisting to suit your narrative which proves I have nothing further to say to you since you have no interest in a rational discussion.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Any concern I expressed for you was over your low intake day. Please don't do that. Always aim to at least get 1200 calories, but you should be getting more. Your rate of loss has been of particular concern.

While keto will show an initial large loss due to water weight, it's really not good to be losing at greater than 1% of bodyweight per week. If your loss is greater than that you're at risk of losing muscle mass, and you know what's a muscle? Your heart. Don't be foolish and do something dangerous in the pursuit of weight loss, okay?