Getting Healthy Again

Options
Hey everyone! My name's Mike and I'm new to the community. I think we can all relate when I say that our busy lives makes it difficult to stay on track and incorporate new habits to our lifestyle. That being said I'm committed to getting my health back and losing some weight in the process.

How am I going to do that? I'm going to start by making small attainable goals that will work up the habits I need to achieve the big ones. There won't be failures, just learning experiences about what I like and don't like.

If you need inspiration, motivation and encouragement let's sync up. After all, it's easier to stay on track when you're doing it with friends :)

Replies

• Giuliaborg
    Giuliaborg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike!! Welcome here :-)
    Yep with "busy lives" is not always easy... but also perhaps being distracted by work and other activities helps in not thinking about food too much! :smile:
  • WolfML
    WolfML Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Giuliaborg wrote: »
    Hi Mike!! Welcome here :-)
    Yep with "busy lives" is not always easy... but also perhaps being distracted by work and other activities helps in not thinking about food too much! :smile:
    Thanks!! :smile: yeah being distracted and having other (and seemingly) more important priorities, food gets left to the quickest and easiest solution. I'm thinking about using a slow cooker so that while I'm at work I'll have my food being prepared. Going to make large portions so I can also have lunch the next day. What do you think?

• Giuliaborg
    Giuliaborg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I never had a slow cooker, but I remember being invited for lunch once and by a friend who had it and lunch was delicious!!
    I also try to cook something the day before for lunch, or on the weekend, I think is the best way for taking care of yourself!
    I keep a kind of diary here in case you feel bored and want to have a look :smile:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10514252/4-weeks#latest
  • WolfML
    Options
    Giuliaborg wrote: »
    I never had a slow cooker, but I remember being invited for lunch once and by a friend who had it and lunch was delicious!!
    I also try to cook something the day before for lunch, or on the weekend, I think is the best way for taking care of yourself!
    I keep a kind of diary here in case you feel bored and want to have a look :smile:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10514252/4-weeks#latest

Sounds great! I'll definitely check it out :) thanks!
  • SueHolt3
    SueHolt3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually make enough dinner so that I have lunch the next day. It works great and really makes tracking easy too. Soup is a great option as well, because you can make a big pot and freeze portions for lunches later in the week.
  • ChelseaSmile22
    ChelseaSmile22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat have been able to take weight off in the past but life and other things that I thought were more important began to push out my gym time, meal prep time and ultimatly comepltely sabatoged my weight loss journey. Here is to getting back at it and trying to learn how to naturally incorporate healthy living, active lifestyle, healthy foods and good time efficient work outs.

Would love to both encourage and support others and have people supporting me along the way. Add me if you want some friends to tag along and encourage the victories big and small in your weightloss and active living journey.
  • WolfML
    Options
    SueHolt3 wrote: »
    I usually make enough dinner so that I have lunch the next day. It works great and really makes tracking easy too. Soup is a great option as well, because you can make a big pot and freeze portions for lunches later in the week.
    Soup is a great idea! Thanks for that one :)
    I am in the same boat have been able to take weight off in the past but life and other things that I thought were more important began to push out my gym time, meal prep time and ultimatly comepltely sabatoged my weight loss journey. Here is to getting back at it and trying to learn how to naturally incorporate healthy living, active lifestyle, healthy foods and good time efficient work outs.

Would love to both encourage and support others and have people supporting me along the way. Add me if you want some friends to tag along and encourage the victories big and small in your weightloss and active living journey.

I'd be happy to support and encourage each other! We got this :)
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mike. Slow cookers are great for all kinds of foods. Recently, I made a red lentil chili in my slow cooker and it turned out great.
  • WolfML
    Options
    EdinTx wrote: »
    Welcome Mike. Slow cookers are great for all kinds of foods. Recently, I made a red lentil chili in my slow cooker and it turned out great.

That sounds great and yummy! Would you happen to have a recipe for it? :)
  • Slinks33
    Slinks33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, always looking for inspiration and happy to share what I can for insight/inspiration as well
  • WolfML
    Options
    Slinks33 wrote: »
    Feel free to add me, always looking for inspiration and happy to share what I can for insight/inspiration as well

Done! :)
  • priestp1
    priestp1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a plan :)

I think meal planning is my strength. I use my slow cooker a lot for chicken (gives it a rotisserie texture). I will then mix it up (once cooked) - add salsa for a Mexican chicken or Chili / Sweet Chili Thai Sauce for an Asian flare. It helps provide variety.

Feel free to add me if you want - I am pretty active.
  • WolfML
    Options
    priestp1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a plan :)

I think meal planning is my strength. I use my slow cooker a lot for chicken (gives it a rotisserie texture). I will then mix it up (once cooked) - add salsa for a Mexican chicken or Chili / Sweet Chili Thai Sauce for an Asian flare. It helps provide variety.

Feel free to add me if you want - I am pretty active.

Sounds great to me! Meal planning in a slow cooker... not all heroes wear capes!
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    WolfML wrote: »
    EdinTx wrote: »

That sounds great and yummy! Would you happen to have a recipe for it? :)

Here It is. It came out a bit on the watery side, easy fix was to ladle out about 2 cups worth of liquid. If I make it again, I'll just use less water. I also added some kidney beans.