I need HEALTHY recipes/ Meal Ideas that are not to difficult.

Options
I am a full time single mom and I work full time. I am in need of loosing 50 pounds or so and need simple recipes to start introducing into my life. My sister lives with me and she is not the healthiest and needs to loose also so I feel that introducing yummy healthy easy recopies or meal ideas will help us both.

Replies

• dawncannon464
    dawncannon464 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need that also!
  • kassierodriguez1
    kassierodriguez1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This one I just learned an it's super easy. Use one cup of dry quinoa. Cook it 2 cups of water. Add a sazon Goya packet and salt and pepper to taste. I put a 1/4 tsp pepper and a little less then a half tsp of salt.

Then measure 1/2 cup of quinoa for a serving. 1/4 cup of cooked black beans on top. Two spoon of your favorite salsa. Half of an avacado diced. And an over medium egg.

Mix and eat delicious healthy food. Packed with protein
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Pintrest is a good source for me. Keep it mind you can take a recipe and substitute items to make it healthier.

Some things I've made that were a hit -
    Turkey burger casserole
    Healthy pasta bake
    Turkey chili
    Egg in a turkey burger
    Chicken stir fry
    Chicken tenders baked
    Protein pancakes
    Roasted seasoned veggies
    Mexican bowls (chicken, lean steak or lean ground beef)
    and more

There are so many delicious recipes out there, look online. -Goodluck, you can do it
  • leahnoob
    leahnoob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just suggested this to another member the other day...Shredded chicken breast with taco seasoning. put it in a lettuce wrap with pico de gallo (chopped onions, tomatoes, serrano peppers, and cilantro) and avocado
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lentils and rice is simple and delicious. Use brown rice for added fiber. Just put 1 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup lentils into 3 cups water with salt and bring to boil. Stir, turn down heat to low and cover until all water is absorbed. Saute a medium onion in two tablespoons olive oil until soft (I like mine to get browned) and mix into lentils and rice. Its very satisfying and you can pair it with a salad for a balanced meal. You can up the lentils for more protein, but I like it with the proportions above. Hummus is another easy protein item; you can find a lot of recipes on line. Serve with whole wheat pita and/or raw veggie sticks to scoop it!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hmm... can you be more specific? What sorts of foods do you enjoy eating now? Do you cook at all? What's your definition of "healthy"? Does that mean just low calorie or are you looking for particular types of foods to fit into a certain plan? How many kids and are you trying to find recipes the whole family will enjoy?

In the meantime...
    Check out skinnytaste.com for good recipe suggestions. Also Pinterest will have lots of ideas. I cook a lot in my crock pot and as a working mom I find that invaluable, as well as my new Instant Pot.

There are recipes posted here in the recipe section as well, many with nutrition info posted.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,271 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Cooking Light cookbooks. Some of them are designed to be "Quick and Easy" or "Superfast." They don't have a lot of ingredients, but they're pretty tasty. By "healthy" I'm guessing you want things that have less salt and fat, more fiber filling veggies? Give it a look. Even one cookbook can be worth it's weight :)