Weight Loss and our Partners

Options
leonardk09
leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
I’m trying to kill time at work, and I just thought of the perfect topic since it’s been on my mind for quite some time. How does your significant other feel about your weight loss? I’ve been with my boyfriend for two years, and DEFINITELY experienced that weight gain honeymoon period. About 40 pounds in a year. Even when I was at my highest, he would tell me I’m the most beautiful girl in the world, and he still tells me that. I feel like he supports me, but he won’t ever tell me if my weight loss has made a big impact for him like it has me (if you catch my drift).

I don’t know what exactly I’m asking, but basically, how has the response been from your partners? Maybe my boyfriend just loves me no matter what, and I should be lucky? Haha.

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You are very lucky.

My man friend tells me I'm the sexiest woman:) Even when I'm at my heaviest. We all need someone like that to help us maintain our own positive self esteem:)
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My husband loves it. He told me I was beautiful before I started losing, and he still tells me now.

What he adds is how proud he is of me.

What he shows is his commitment, by making healthier foods at dinner, buying healthier foods at the grocery store when he shops, without me having to ask, accepting that I have to eat smaller portions of the indulgent foods he does make, and encouraging me to spend whatever time I need to exercise.

Given that we have a wonderful 7-year-old daughter, that's an awful lot for a dad to do to prove his support. And every time I thank him profusely for it, he just grins and says, "Hey, I'm getting the benefits, too."
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Marry him! LOL!! You want someone who'll love you no matter how you look. I gained about that much weight at my highest... after we were married. He never mentioned the weight gain to me. He just supports me. However, overall, our relationship is better now that I've lost 20 pounds, but that's do to my increasing confidence and not anything he did.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Mine supports me,,he says he will love me if I weigh 140 or 400,,but he is so supportive inme losing weight for health reasons...he even goes to the gym with me and does'nt say anything about me not frying him chicken anymore he just eats the baked or grilled and says whatever makes me feel better and happy .....
    Were lucky to have supportive mates..
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I really picked up weight after I said "I Do" three years ago...but even with the added weight he'd tell me I look good...now that the pounds are shedding he still tells me how beautiful I am, and tells me everyday that he see's ALL my hard work.

He is very supportive, and I'm sure he wishes there was more "action" associated with the weight loss, but I still see myself at 193.8 even though the scale says 157.2...man I'll be glad when my brain catches up with the scale!

:love:
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend still tells me I am beautiful but will make comments about how hot I was when I was lighter. I was never skinny, but I felt good about myself. He is supportive about me losing weight because over the past couple years I have lost a lot of confidence and we are both hoping that will come back. He has listened to my requests to not bring me home Chinese food and to buy less processed food, so in that way I am thankful for his support. When ever i tell him I lost weight or worked out he tells me he is proud. he has listened to me for 3 years complain about my weight so he has endured alot!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    you are incredibly lucky.

My current boyfriend is very supportive, yet at the same time some of his comments and questions hurt my feelings, but he body builds, and was the all-start jock in HS where I was the chunky band geek, so there are some personal emotional issues he will never understand, but he tries to and has backed off. I just opt not to respond when I feel a comment was unintentionally hurtful or play it off, and that has helped ME be less moody too! We are going to the beach for labor day weekend, and he asked yesterday if I had started a beach diet (we decided sunday on teh trip) he was cutting carbs and stopping soda. My initial thought "WHO THE HELL SAID I NEED TO DIET MORE FOR THIS TRIP???" what I typed back "yeah I was considering cutting out processed foods, or greatly reducing them, till the trip. but you know if you take away my periodic coke completly this will be one unhappy mom" (Im a single mom he is not the father) and you know what, it just made me take my own advice because my eating had slipped a bit after my car accident even though I was still losing.

I have seen where some men become moody as you get thinner because they are afraid youll leave them, but as long as you have a healthy loving supportive relationship youll do fine

(He does say regularly Im his hot Babe. And when I have a low confidence day,. he tells me I am rediculously hot, and if I lose more its a bonus not a requirement)
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do feel lucky, and I am lucky! But sometimes I sense a sort of fear or jealousy from him since there are dudes checking me out for once in my life.

I guess the most important thing here is that he tells me how proud he is of me all the time. I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm still deathly afriad of wearing lingerie though, I'll tell ya that haha.
  • fatgirlwalking
    Options
    My BF could stand to gain about 20 pounds, but he has a hard time doing that. I am sure he loves the way I am, but he is supportive of my weight loss, not because he wants a "skinny" GF, just a "healthy" one.

We are both lucky!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I do feel lucky, and I am lucky! But sometimes I sense a sort of fear or jealousy from him since there are dudes checking me out for once in my life.

I guess the most important thing here is that he tells me how proud he is of me all the time. I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm still deathly afriad of wearing lingerie though, I'll tell ya that haha.

Lol hopefully he's like my boyfriend and it just makes him want to show me off more! One of his buddies worked on my car for me, and when we dropped it off it was our date night so I was dressed in a mid-thigh dress that is pretty low cut (and Im large chested). We get in the car and he goes "Justin was completly checking out your boobs. Good thing his wife was inside. but he is more then welcome to look because she's not giving him any while pregnant anyway!" seriously took me a min to respond to that! He says if I get any skinnier all his buddies will be jelouse (my boobs dont really shrink as I lose... darn it!) but I dont have to lose he likes me how I am :) Now he is a bit (ok more then a bit) prejudice against hispanics (we're in AZ theres ALOT of them) so when one was checking me out in the gym that earned the guy a deadly look (My bf was 2 treadmills down from me because I started on the elliptical) but the guy was like 50 and kinda creepy to top it off