I am so embarrassed.....

Options
Hopped on the scale yesterday, swore I would never allow myself to get over 300 pounds - scale said 322. I am so ashamed and humiliated, mainly because I did it to myself and now, I don't know how to undo it. Logging my food and exercising has not helped in the past - I just gain it right back.

I don't know what to do this time around, but I know I'm tired, I can't breathe or bend over, I can't fit in a booth at a restaurant anymore and I couldn't even fasten my seat belt in my sister's SUV the other night.

I know, it's a pity party, but it seems to be all I'm good at anymore because being healthy, I clearly suck at!

Replies

• littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above. Making small changes is much easier than trying to change everything at once. Maybe you focus on adding more water like SueHolt3 said and when that becomes normal you add something else like walking more each day. Also go slow like livingleanlivingclean suggested. It will take longer to see results but the things you are doing become your daily routine. It is much more likely to maintain weight loss if you look at it as a lifestyle change not a diet. Diets end. If you think "I'm so glad that's done!" you are way more likely to go back to your old ways. Maintaining can be hard, I have days when I slide back into old ways, you have to catch yourself and get back on track. We are all human, it happens. Just don't let it stop you. Good luck. You can add me if you would like to.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You need to keep at it everyday, be patient, log everything and go not give up. You are looking at a lifestyle change, change one thing at a stone and enjoy looking Forbes healthy food option and stay focused. Good luck you
    Must do this for the sake of your health
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Just start, don't aim for perfection.

How about just logging your food and spending ten minutes looking at your Food Diary at the end of the day and making a note of how you could improve a tiny bit.

One day at a time, it's all we have.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's helped me to go to a dietitian to get advice about nutrition and serving sizes. Maybe that would be a good place to start?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I agree with small baby steps. Logging everything you eat/drink and looking at where you can cut back. Maybe instead of chips, switch to pretzels, or even better a piece of fruit. Instead of soda, switch to diet soda or sparkling water.

Then find ways to increase your daily activity. Start small. Take the stairs, park further away, go for a walk around the block. Walk up and down the aisles at the grocery store - I do this to get extra steps in. Get a Fitbit and start tracking how active you are. Challenge yourself to up your steps every week.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, lost the weight, swore I would never go back...and I went back. I gained the weight back because I quit logging and being accountable.

But I started logging again and I'm getting back on track now, slowly but surely that is. I quit shaming myself and instead said okay let's take this one day at a time and it's okay to make mistakes along the way. When I overeat I log it now instead of ignoring it. And when I hold myself accountable I'm less likely to overeat. My diary is public.

Start slow, make small and attainable goals, start walking, even if it is just down the driveway or the hallway right now and go 20 steps farther tomorrow. Add 1 serving of vegetables to your daily food intake. Small steps like others have already said.

You can do it.
  • mayadgr8
    mayadgr8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my annual physical this year and my doctor said i'm at the pre-diabetic border and i need to lose weight. So i have decided for myself and for my family to DO IT. My doctor gave me a shot of a B12 and gave me a food plan to eat for 3 months. She also said i had to have other medications to really help me lose weight. Although one medication was an appetite suppressant that did not make me feel good so I decided to stop that and just continue with the meal plan which is high protein and practically NO CARBS diet... tomorrow will be exactly a week and I have lost 8 lbs. I can't believe how fast I'm losing weight just by cutting my carbs out of my diet. I've also decided to track my food here and hopefully by walking an hour a day will benefit me more. My start weight was 241.1 and I'm now at 232. I was very scared starting this diet because I know I have failed many times before and I pray to God for help and strength and to fight any temptations that come my way. My goal is 120 lbs. but I'm breaking that down by 3. So for now my goal is to reach 200 lbs, then 160lbs, and finally 120 lbs. With God's grace I hope to reach it.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hopped on the scale yesterday, swore I would never allow myself to get over 300 pounds - scale said 322. I am so ashamed and humiliated, mainly because I did it to myself and now, I don't know how to undo it. Logging my food and exercising has not helped in the past - I just gain it right back.

I too started and gave up on logging my food, eating better, it's hard there is no way around it. I cant tell you its easy. BUT you have to keep TRYING, there is no shame in trying and failing, just keep trying, you know its the right thing to do, for yourself and those you love. For me it eventually clicked and with My Fitness Pal it was the easiest way to keep track, I tried spreadsheets and it failed miserably. I am now on track and so will YOU!
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think I know how you feel to an extent. I was steady at my weight for 3 years, still very overweight but I was tired of trying to lose any and tried to move on to acceptance. Then, over the last 2 years (but the majority in the last 8mo) I gained almost 50 pounds. I weighed in at my heaviest - 270lbs. So I told myself I was going to start making small changes after a long period of misery and self loathing. I was always telling myself constantly how gross I was. Stopped letting my partner touch me. I didn't want that, but I also wanted to eat whatever I want and not exercise so I started making little changes. Turns out, you can't eat whatever you want but you can change what you love to eat over time.

For the first week I just looked at what I was eating. Then, I set my calorie goal to lose one lbs a week while also checking to see what my maintenance intake would be so I would let myself be kind to myself and not worry if I ate over my daily intake. Either way I would lose even if it was just oz.

For a few days I struggled a lot with the hunger, but I started to figure it out. I started cooking better meals. I found snacks that made me fuller through research and the community boards on this app. I didn't look at the scale for five weeks because I didn't want to get on and see I hadn't lost. I told myself I'd wait and see if I felt better, which I did. My house cleaning outfit, of all things, looked better after the five weeks so I got on the scale.

So far, it's been 65 days and when I weighed in last weekend I had lost 13.1lbs so far. No exercise, just calorie counting. It happens. I'm not saying it's by any means perfect and I have a long way to go, but I feel less intimidated now if I want to cut my calorie limit to lose 2lbs a week, or if I start slowing introducing exercise or walking. I'm in it for the long hall.

I really like setting little goals. My first is 20lbs between Jan 1 and Easter Weekend. My second will be similar over the same period of time when I figure out what my next big date will be. My hope is to lose 71lbs this year to get down to 199lbs finally, but if I don't reach it that's okay too. After 199lbs, who knows. I won't be done, but that's the number that's important to me right now.

Also, like I've seen mentioned about about folks saying a lot of it is psychological, I'm in counseling. Not for my food issues, but for my personal ones that cause me to overeat like I do. It's something that helps and makes me feel better every time I go, even though it's painful when I'm there.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to add me or message me, we all need support and I'd also be happy to have yours :)
  • HopeTracker
    HopeTracker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just one step at a time. That's what I keep telling myself. It feels overwhelming but if we stick with it, eventually a few days will turn into weeks and before we know it, months. I think this calorie tracker will work if we stick with it. :)