Macro Splits and Calorie Goals

Options
Hey guys I am trying to get started again here in MFP after trying many other programs without much success but it seems that every site I visit or person I talk to has different opinions on what the ideal calorie goal of someone my size should be and how my macros should be split. I am 5' 3" and currently weigh 177lb. I work in a lab so I am sitting most of the day. I do try to work out at least 4 times a week for 30 minutes minimum. I lift weights and do some workout DVD's currently while I am recovering from a broken foot. I usually like to run 3 times a week when I'm not injured. If anyone has any suggestions for me to get going or is willing to share what their macro splits are that have worked I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Replies

• FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is my problem though, if I go to different website calculators I get anywhere from 1375 calories per day all the way up to 1750 calories per day to lose weight. Is there a fairly accurate one ( I know none will be exact) that you could recommend?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is my problem though, if I go to different website calculators I get anywhere from 1375 calories per day all the way up to 1750 calories per day to lose weight. Is there a fairly accurate one ( I know none will be exact) that you could recommend?

The reason you're likely getting differing counts is due to methodology...for example, MFP uses the NEAT methodology whereby your activity level does not account for exercise...so your calorie target will be lower and you will get additional calories to "eat back" after you log that activity to account for it.

Other calculators use the TDEE method which does include exercise in your activity level and thus you get a higher calorie target because it is taking into account all of you activity.

You also have to consider apples to apples rate of loss goals...most TDEE calculators use a % cut and generally recommend a 20% cut from TDEE whereas MFP, for example, uses a straight line calorie cut...most often a 20% cut from TDEE is a much smaller deficit than telling MFP you want to lose 2 Lbs per week.

Different calculators also use different algorithms, but for the most part I've found them all to be at least in the neighborhood of each other when I'm comparing apples to apples.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That was very helpful!