Water Consumption Tricks

Options
I'm struggling with my 72 oz of daily water...anybody have some tips or tricks to make sure I get it all down by 8 pm? (Any water later than that and I'm in the bathroom all night!). I usually try to infuse my water with citrus, but that's not always possible.

Any tips/tricks that you use would be appreciated!

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Do you need to drink this much? As long as your pee is light yellow you are hydrated. You get water from various foods and other drinks too.

I drink about 48oz a day, I start early and quit about 4pm. This helps me not have to get up in the middle of the night.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I would suggest drinking less water, as I'm guessing you're over-hydrating. The water we get from the foods we eat and from caffeinated drinks like coffee and tea count towards our daily water intake. If your urine is any lighter than a pale yellow, then you're drinking more than you have to.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    First of all, use your pee as your guide to hydration. Water recommendations are often a bit excessive as they don't consider we get quite a lot of hydration from the food we eat.

Secondly, I use low/sugar free cordial and a sippy cup. For whatever reason drinking from a Tervis like cup does something psychological for me that makes me drink more. But it has to be flavoured unless I'm really thirsty and will happily chug plain water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just stay hydrated...I don't worry about arbitrary ounces of water.
  • dboyes79
    dboyes79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try some delish teas from Davids teas I'm loving their iced queen of tarts lately and a few other fruity ones cold
    But yes 72 oz is a lot.. I drink about 1.5-2L per day and that is enough I can't imagine more I'd float away
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    I have to drink out of my water bottle. I usually add a little of my fruit tea to it(no sugar) plus I drink several cups of tea a day & some coffee too
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I drink 500 ml bottles through the day and I pour a little sugar free lime cordial in it tastes yum
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on quantity but make sure to keep sipping. At least once per hour I get up, go to the kitchen, and drink some water from the office cooler.
    I'm struggling with my 72 oz of daily water...anybody have some tips or tricks to make sure I get it all down by 8 pm? (Any water later than that and I'm in the bathroom all night!). I usually try to infuse my water with citrus, but that's not always possible.

Any tips/tricks that you use would be appreciated!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of water next to me at all times and sip as wanted. I also drink some water every time I go to the bathroom.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to survive in a desert or are doing extreme activities, you probably don't need that much water. If you are struggling to get it down - perhaps it's your body trying to tell you it's too much. Don't forget other liquids count and if you are having a lot of vegetables you will get water from them too. The Koala doesn't drink water in 99% of cases (exceptions are usually in bushfires) because it gets its water intake from eucalyptus leaves.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Unless you are trying to survive in a desert or are doing extreme activities, you probably don't need that much water. If you are struggling to get it down - perhaps it's your body trying to tell you it's too much. Don't forget other liquids count and if you are having a lot of vegetables you will get water from them too. The Koala doesn't drink water in 99% of cases (exceptions are usually in bushfires) because it gets its water intake from eucalyptus leaves.

Cats too. They don't have the same thirst drive as us which is why they should really be on wet food (but I won't get into that) but yeah, naturally the majority of their needed hydration comes from their food. It makes no sense that we'd be the exceptional mammals.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass before I eat a meal, and drink one or two anytime I walk into the kitchen. I also keep a big bottle on my desk. :)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Get a 2ltr water jug. Fill it in the morning. Drink from that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    For *kitten* sakes.

Drink when you are thirsty.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Fill up a 2L bottle in the morning and drink it. When it is finished, refill it.

There are no tricks to forcing yourself to drink water. You're either thirsty enough to drink, or you're not.

It's summer here right now and i easily drink 3L of water everyday, but come winter i struggle to get through 1L. I haven't suffered from dehydration or noticed a difference between summer water chugging and winter not.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I had a free app on my phone called "Daily Water" I think. I set it to alarm every 2 hrs to drink. That worked for a while until the novelty wore off and I started ignoring it :smirk: Now I just try to remember to drink. If I'm hungry, or think I'm hungry, sometimes I'll drink water first. In the winter I usually have one or two mugs of hot herbal tea, which warms me up and hydrates as well.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Here's the trick...if your pee isn't too yellow, you're drinking enough water. And soda, caffeinated drinks, and watery vegetables count in your water intake.