Hamstring pain after first weight session

Options
So I've never before in my life done weight training, only cardio.. on Saturday I had my first weights session with a personal trainer, lots of squats and lunges and machines for the legs.. yesterday I was in some pain but today is awful!! I can hardly walk let alone go work out.. I've been trying to foam roller as often as I can this morning and rest most of the day....

Any advice on how long it'll take for me to get past this or how to speed up the healing? Feel like I can't continue with my work outs the way I'm feeling as can't walk let alone bend down / squat..

Anyone had the same experience when they first started weights?

Replies

• Bradywho1
    Bradywho1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    100% normal for everyone when they first start weight training! Or anyone who has taken a break for awhile. Day one is usually alright.. then day two comes and you are convinced you won't be able to make it up even a single stair lol. Only advice I could give you is to move around and get the lactic acid flushed out of your legs and maybe next time throw some other exercises in your workout so your legs aren't so sore
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, first leg day back was brutal. I'd lay off of all leg stuff until you feel better.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Second the moving around if it's DOMS. I try to walk/get up often when my legs are sore, sitting for long always makes it feel much worse.
    For some people more frequency actually helps. (Doing legs 2-3x a week rather than once.)
    Maybe you did too much too soon, but I've been lifting almost 3 years and I'm always sore if I'm training hard.
    Moving around, foam rolling, hydration and protein are what I focus on for recovery.
  • joannalouise92
    joannalouise92 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have my next workout with my trainer (which will be a lot of the same I expect) on Wednesday night.. do you think it will help to get back into it, or make it worse?

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bradywho1 wrote: »
    100% normal for everyone when they first start weight training! Or anyone who has taken a break for awhile. Day one is usually alright.. then day two comes and you are convinced you won't be able to make it up even a single stair lol. Only advice I could give you is to move around and get the lactic acid flushed out of your legs and maybe next time throw some other exercises in your workout so your legs aren't so sore

I agree with the advice, but DOMS isn't from lactic acid. It's from microtears. Lactic acid is gone within two hours of the end of exercise.

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/doms-the-good-the-bad-and-what-it-really-means-to-your-training
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have my next workout with my trainer (which will be a lot of the same I expect) on Wednesday night.. do you think it will help to get back into it, or make it worse?

Did you only work legs the first session? If so, I would expect you'd do something different, probably some upper body work. You'll probably be feeling a lot better by wednesday, but it might be worth mentioning to your trainer just so they're aware.
    There's a good chance you'll be sore again the next time... But it'll be ok. :)
    Oh and I forgot to mention sleep. Sleep is important for recovery as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So I've never before in my life done weight training, only cardio.. on Saturday I had my first weights session with a personal trainer, lots of squats and lunges and machines for the legs.. yesterday I was in some pain but today is awful!! I can hardly walk let alone go work out.. I've been trying to foam roller as often as I can this morning and rest most of the day....

Any advice on how long it'll take for me to get past this or how to speed up the healing? Feel like I can't continue with my work outs the way I'm feeling as can't walk let alone bend down / squat..

Anyone had the same experience when they first started weights?
    Normal. You are suffering from DOMS and muscle that's not conditioned will be affected. Sure it feels like hell, but it lasts for a couple of days. If you're CONSISTENT, DOMS will reduce in intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Bradywho1 wrote: »
    Contrary to belief, this isn't why there's soreness. As mentioned it's from microtears in the the muscle. Rebuilding makes the muscle stronger and in cases of hypertrophy, bigger.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Won't really make it worse. If it's uncomfortable, ask the trainer to do bodyweight exercises for legs or even plyometrics.
    If the trainer can't conform to doing that for you, then get another trainer.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    To be honest I feel its 100% normal to be sore after training for the first time. Now after frequent training sessions the pain will subside and you will be just slightly sore after a brutal training session, but no longer to the point that it feels like you will collapse from just walking down stairs. I also whole heartedly believe sometimes especially with trainers they tend to train you way to hard for your "first time" working out. Every time I shift focus on my training methods from (endurance to strength) I always incorporate some type of conditioning for two weeks to better adapt to new training methods, or training at all if you have not done so previously.

***personel opinion***
    Always keep moving though, skipping a gym session due to DOMS is not always wise and could cause you to mess up a well established training routine. Just do some type of active recovery such as stretching, walking and or other muscle group training to keep in the habit of going to the gym and or training.

Train safe / have fun!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Another personal opinion - a good trainer doesn't have a first-timer do "lots of squats and lunges and machines for the legs" on day one. One set of squats, lunges, and leg press is plenty the first workout. Proceed with caution with this trainer.

To answer your question, movement usually improves soreness, so try doing a set or 2 of bodyweight squats today & tomorrow. Avoid staying motionless for long periods. :+1:
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    In a week, you will be fine. Once you get use to working legs, it will last few days till your body adapts. Don't worry. Keep it up ☺
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It probably won't make it worse, although the extra work will likely delay full recovery (in this case still probably better than skipping). The only real reason to skip or delay the next session would be if the soreness was so great it compromised your form. That's the main criteria in the "work it or rest it" decision.

You can mention it to the "trainer" but I'm not sure how much good it will do since he's the idiot who got you into this condition in the first place.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Doing whatever caused you DOMS will help. In this case squats or lunges. Do them assisted with you hand on a chair or table if necessary.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Doing whatever caused you DOMS will help. In this case squats or lunges. Do them assisted with you hand on a chair or table if necessary.

Do you have anything to support this? Not being snarky, I've just never heard this before.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Do you have anything to support this? Not being snarky, I've just never heard this before.

I learned it from former Mr. Universe Lance Dreyer back in the early 80s when I first started lifting. I forgot how he explained it, but it always stuck in my head and worked well for me on the heavier DOM days.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options

I learned it from former Mr. Universe Lance Dreyer back in the early 80s when I first started lifting. I forgot how he explained it, but it always stuck in my head and worked well for me on the heavier DOM days.

I'm going to bro science it and speculate perhaps it increases blood flow, speeding up repair, but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall here.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Another personal opinion - a good trainer doesn't have a first-timer do "lots of squats and lunges and machines for the legs" on day one. One set of squats, lunges, and leg press is plenty the first workout. Proceed with caution with this trainer.

To answer your question, movement usually improves soreness, so try doing a set or 2 of bodyweight squats today & tomorrow. Avoid staying motionless for long periods. :+1:

This was my thoughts. No need to bury someone in their first session.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    DOMS is normal, as others have said and usually last about 3 days, give or take.

If after a workout you have extreme soreness in muscles, swelling and either hardly any pee or dark rust coloured pee it could be something serious requiring urgent medical attention.

Learning the difference between pain (injury) and muscle soreness is important.

If you're in doubt, speak to your trainer, or a physio or doctor if you can't access either of the former.
  • gkorn17
    gkorn17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Avoid the foam roller. There's no real reason to use it. Just let the muscles heal. Light cardio will incrse the blood flow facilitating the healing process. Avoid ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatories if possible. This will slow healing. I would switch trainers. That's a rather poor decision by your trainer. Don't be afraid to keep working out though!