Apple Watch calories for steps

Options
Hi
I had a Fitbit charge HR which used to adjust the calories for my 10000 steps nicely. Now that I have an Apple Watch I barely get any calories for the same distance.

I have read a few conflicting things on this forum that says MFP has made a decision to change things going forward versus it's a bug they need to fix since a release last year.

Any ideas?

I have found another app that counts calories and gives me the active calories summarized perfectly. But after years of using MFP I don't want to change if it's a bug.

M

Replies

• 23MIA09
    23MIA09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I've started to have the same problem. I either get credit for exercise or steps on my Apple Watch, not both anymore. Considering changing to another app as well.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    How many calories would your FitBit give? I have noticed that friends of mine that have a FitBit get way higher calorie burn counts than I ever get on the watch for daily calories burned and for steps.

Are the 10,000 steps cause you focused on a quicker paced 5 mile walk or overall for the day you got 10,000?
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    23MIA09 wrote: »
    Yesterday I've started to have the same problem. I either get credit for exercise or steps on my Apple Watch, not both anymore. Considering changing to another app as well.

I have been having the same issue, only mine is I only get steps credit lately -- which is like 38 calories a day
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As far as I know it's designed to keep you from getting double credit - you shouldn't get 650 calories from jogging and then another 350 or whatever for the same steps you took while jogging.

Mine usually has a slight negative adjustment for my steps, in addition to whatever workout I did that day. Once I go over a certain number of steps (from just walking around, not a logged workout) though I get credit for those steps too.
  • Mojofilter
    Mojofilter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue having just gotten an Apple Watch.
    On the Activity app I'm showing a total of 3,324 calories burnt for the day (12,345 steps).
    Clicking on the MFP calorie adjustment I'm getting MFP iOS calories burned as 2,780 and an adjustment of 282.
    So which is it, 3,324 or 2,780?

For reference FitBit has a total burn of 3221 (12,330 steps). If I switch MFP's source for steps to Fitbit my calorie adjustment goes up to 723.

It seems that Apple Activity and FitBit more or less agree but Apple Health Kit for some reason things I've burnt around 500 calories less than them.
  • Mojofilter
    Mojofilter Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To add to the mystery, looking at the Apple Health app I have Active Energy showing as 940 and Resting Energy of 2384 which adds up to 3324.

So why is the Health App sending a burn of 2780 to MFP??