If you've had your gallbladder removed...

domeofstars
domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
How old were you?
Were you dieting or had recently been dieting?
Did you have keyhole surgery or the more traditional surgery?
Did you have any complications during the operation?
Did you have private health insurance at the time, and was it covered by your insurance?
Did you have it removed at a private or public hospital?
Did you get to keep your gallbladder?

Replies

• andrew7777
    andrew7777 Posts: 1 Member
    Partner had this done a couple of years back.
    we both went onto a low fat diet before the op for a couple of months - all foods below 5% fat...reduced the painful attacks she was getting (and got us both a lot healthier)
    yes keyhole
    no complications and was a relatively quick and easy op with instant results
    no insurance, but paid private
    and no gallbladder in a jar :)
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    How old were you?
    No.
    Key hole.
    No.
    Did you have private health insurance at the time, and was it covered by your insurance?
    Yes; a large part of it was covered but I did pay for some.
    Public.
    Nope. I wish I had it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    How old were you? 28
    Were you dieting or had recently been dieting? No
    Did you have keyhole surgery or the more traditional surgery? Laparascopic surgery
    Did you have any complications during the operation? No. But they did choose to leave a pump drain in me for a day to help the drainage
    Did you have private health insurance at the time, and was it covered by your insurance? Partially covered. I paid about $1500 out of pocket
    Did you have it removed at a private or public hospital? Public
    Did you get to keep your gallbladder? I never asked if it was an option
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I was 37, I don't know what keyhole means so I think I had traditional/laproscopic-3 scars on belly. I wasn't dieting, but I am type 2 diabetic so I was starting to watch my foods. No complications, public hospital. I have insurance through work so that covered almost all of it. I didn't get to keep gallbladder-I think I asked and they said no.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I was 37. Yes, I had lost just over 100 prior to it giving me trouble. I had keyhole and no complications to really complain about. I just have to watch my lettuce/leafy veggie intake. I can tell when I have had too much.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    filmgal30 wrote: »
    I was 37, I don't know what keyhole means so I think I had traditional/laproscopic-3 scars on belly. I wasn't dieting, but I am type 2 diabetic so I was starting to watch my foods. No complications, public hospital. I have insurance through work so that covered almost all of it. I didn't get to keep gallbladder-I think I asked and they said no.

Nope you had the keyhole kind.
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    I was 19, had just had a c-section 3 months prior. Medicaid covered the costs of the hospital but not the surgeon. Complications involved an infection bc they used metal staples to close me up even though I had it on file I'm allergic to metal. Should have sued him.
  • Cuddlebearjay
    Cuddlebearjay Posts: 21 Member
    I was 21, rushed to the ER one week after giving birth to my daughter. So definitely not dieting lol
    Had keyhole with 3 scars. I honestly can't remember if I had insurance or billed.
    There weren't any complications during, but there was always some doubt in me that having my stomach so big from pregnancy, then deflating, inflated, deflated... hard to explain besides the obscene stretch marks, but I've always felt like something was off.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    How old were you?

I was 37.

I had not been purposely dieting; I literally couldn't eat because I was so sick so I lost a few pounds simply from living off of tea, chicken and potatoes. I gained it back once I recovered.

My incisions were in my belly button, under my breast bone and two off to the right of my belly button.

No surgery complications. I was filled with gas during the surgery and it hurt like a mf for several days after the procedure. I did way too much too fast (my own stubborn fault) and ended up needing two additional weeks of recovery.

I have insurance through my job. It's crappy insurance so I paid about 5k when it's all said and done. That's including the scan I needed to prove I needed the surgery. I didn't have stones, mine was just a malfunctioning organ. It was only functioning at 8%, whatever that means.

I guess my hospital was public, I live in the US so it was just the local hospital my general surgeon was affiliated with.

I didn't get to keep it, but then again I didn't ask about it. I did get to keep my scans showing how sluggish fatty foods went through it, but even then I couldn't tell you what I'm looking at.
  • BrinaBecnel
    BrinaBecnel Posts: 122 Member
    How old were you? 16
    Were you dieting or had recently been dieting? No.
    Did you have keyhole surgery or the more traditional surgery? Traditional.
    Did you have any complications during the operation? No.
    Did you have private health insurance at the time, and was it covered by your insurance? It was covered.
    Did you have it removed at a private or public hospital? Public.
    Did you get to keep your gallbladder? No.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    1. I was 42
    2. Yes, I had dieted and lost a lot of weight
    3. Keyhole
    4. No complications
    5. Covered by insurance
    6. Public
    7. Nope, why would you want it?
  • warnbren65
    warnbren65 Posts: 1 Member
    I was 46