Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Dunno. ...

Was she a hottie?
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I went to the grocery store late at night after work. I work in the evening and get out late around midnight.

So I get some items, then get in line. While I am getting my items checked a random woman comes up to me and asks if I live in the area...I was taken off guard, so I said 'kind of...' then she asks me if I can give her a ride home. I told her 'sorry but I cannot.' She then asked the couple behind me and they told her no because they did not live in the area. She then walked away looking embarrassed and sad.

I felt bad not giving her a ride....but it was late at night, I am a single woman, and you never know what a stranger could do.

Last week a fellow employee asked for a ride to her car cause it was late, so I gave her a ride and helped her find her car.

I like helping people especially women at night but not if I am putting myself at risk. In the back of my head that saying nothing good happens after midnight rings in my head.

But I still feel bad...what would you do? Should I feel bad?

God will judge you . That was a test . She is probably laying dead in the gutter as we speak
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Should you feel bad? Yes of course you should.

You should feel bad because we live in a society where being kind and thoughtful can result in terrible things happening to you. It is a trade off, to help a stranger, hope nothing bad happens and feel good about it, or to listen to your gut, get home safely and feel bad for not giving a stranger a lift home.

The majority of people would like to be more kind and considerate than what we are, but unfortunately these days it is your own safety first. Always listen to your gut feeling, don't take unnecessary risks. You don't want to be tomorrows news.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I would have given her a ride.

Heck, I gave 3 strangers a ride on new years eve.

One guy threw a twenty dollar bill at me and I threw it back at him.

He finally stuffed the $20 into my cup holder.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel bad, I'd not let a stranger into my car. I do like performing random acts of kindness, so I would probably have offered to get her an Uber.
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    That's how people get skinned alive !
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I would probably give them a ride, but I would not want my wife or daughters giving a stranger a ride.

About a month ago, I saw a teenager walking around our neighborhood. I could see that he was obviously lost and mentally challenged. I approached him and asked him if he needed help. It took him a while to explain but the short story is that a neighboring teen asked him if he wanted to go with him for a ride, then took him and dropped him off far from home and left him as a cruel joke. This kid had been wandering around all day. I was on my motorcycle, so I put it away and got the car and took him home. It was about 60 miles round trip. He also hadn't eaten all day so I took him through a drive through.

Aw poor kid. I'm glad he crossed paths with you. Why are some people so cruel and heartless while others would give their last dime to help someone in need?
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I've let many strangers have a ride on me
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    I would probably give them a ride, but I would not want my wife or daughters giving a stranger a ride.

About a month ago, I saw a teenager walking around our neighborhood. I could see that he was obviously lost and mentally challenged. I approached him and asked him if he needed help. It took him a while to explain but the short story is that a neighboring teen asked him if he wanted to go with him for a ride, then took him and dropped him off far from home and left him as a cruel joke. This kid had been wandering around all day. I was on my motorcycle, so I put it away and got the car and took him home. It was about 60 miles round trip. He also hadn't eaten all day so I took him through a drive through.

This story makes me hate and also love people at the same time. Too bad you couldn't track down the *kitten* who ditched him.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I really don't, no matter what. I don't feel that threatened honestly, I'm not very paranoid or cautious and I don't live in a dangerous place, but I can't help but see it from my mom and dad's perspective and keep myself safe for them, you know? I'm female, I'm 21, and the closest relative to me is a 2 hour drive while my parents are a 5 hour flight. I simply can't be doing stuff like that and while I'd sympathize with their situation, I'd feel 0% bad about my lack of involvement.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    MrStabbems wrote: »

I was wondering when a comment like this would come up :D

And down.

... then back up

and down again

I can do this all afternoon
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »

I was wondering when a comment like this would come up :D

And down.

... then back up

and down again

I can do this all afternoon

I heard five minutes but ya know. each to his own
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My knee jerk reaction was to say yes...but after thinking about it I said no. If that happens to me again, I will offer to call and pay for a cab for the stranger. Googled people getting robbed after stopping to help someone and there are quite a few stories, even people getting killed. Thanks for the responses.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    I was once wondering around aimlessly,starving & freezing ....I didn't know what 2 do ...Then I heard a voice saying "What is more ,run through the grass! ...What is more ,run through the grass " ....Suddenly I realized what they were saying ...it was my wife screaming "Shut the door U dumbass!" Cuz I was standing in front of the freezer going 2 get a snack & I forgot why I went there .....True Story
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I literally have tears welling up. God bless you @TheRoadDog .

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A ride from a stranger is how my brother and his fiance met.
    She had locked herself out of her car so a stranger drove her to an auto part store and asked who could help her and my brother said I'm off in 15 minutes. So the lady left her there with him. They've been together ever since. And have their 3rd child due mid April.

Saying that, I would never do it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I went to the grocery store late at night after work. I work in the evening and get out late around midnight.

So I get some items, then get in line. While I am getting my items checked a random woman comes up to me and asks if I live in the area...I was taken off guard, so I said 'kind of...' then she asks me if I can give her a ride home. I told her 'sorry but I cannot.' She then asked the couple behind me and they told her no because they did not live in the area. She then walked away looking embarrassed and sad.

I felt bad not giving her a ride....but it was late at night, I am a single woman, and you never know what a stranger could do.

Last week a fellow employee asked for a ride to her car cause it was late, so I gave her a ride and helped her find her car.

I like helping people especially women at night but not if I am putting myself at risk. In the back of my head that saying nothing good happens after midnight rings in my head.

But I still feel bad...what would you do? Should I feel bad?

No I would not let a total stranger into my car if I was alone late at night.
    I might offer them some money if I had it to spare or let them use my phone to call someone.

You didn't leave the woman stranded in a desert or in a dangerous environment. You can stop feeling bad.
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    I'll be honest, people don't usually ask me for a lift

well, if they knew your profile name....LOL
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options

you're a stand up guy