Why does everything I eat taste salty?!?!?!

Options
So I don't know if I am coming down with something, or if this is part of me losing weight. The past couple of days, EVERYTHING I eat tastes incredibly salty. I looked online and only thing I found was that perhaps I need to drink more water. I am drinking my 8 glasses a day. Water tastes salty. Bread tastes salty etc. I did start taking this vitamin suppliments around the time that this started. Could this be contributing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Beth

Replies

• Beth082485
    Options
    So I don't know if I am coming down with something, or if this is part of me losing weight. The past couple of days, EVERYTHING I eat tastes incredibly salty. I looked online and only thing I found was that perhaps I need to drink more water. I am drinking my 8 glasses a day. Water tastes salty. Bread tastes salty etc. I did start taking this vitamin suppliments around the time that this started. Could this be contributing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Beth
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Are you taking any meds? The change in your body could have an affect on this. I know someone on this board having the same issue.

dd
  • Beth082485
    Options
    Nope no meds.... I just started taking this multivitamin around the time that this started happening... I'm wondering if it could be the cause. I haven't had a pre processed meal since I started my journey on Jan 1st. Do you happen to know the other person who is having this problem? Thanks!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    maybe your body is adjusting to a better lifestyle and now you can literally taste all the added salt in package foods.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    As I've gotten older I've noticed that my taste buds have become very sensitive to salt in foods and I no longer add that to anything I cook (except maybe pasta water and oatmeal). It could very well be, because of your age, that the dieting is having some effect on your taste buds and it's probably not that you require more water - unless you are thirsty.

Pay attention to the types of foods that you taste the salt content in and if they start showing up in things like vegetables, fruit, etc. consult your physician who may have the right answer for you.
  • Beth082485
    Options
    KrazyKayzy:

That is possible, never thought of it that way! I dunno... I used to be a salt fanatic.... salt on everything.... I barely use it now...

To all the others that posted... thanks for all of your help! I'm glad to see that some people on here are experiencing the same thing!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This started a long time ago for me and I’ve just gotten used to it now. I don’t add any extra salt to foods and I do drink 3L of water a day. No answer for you sorry.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me once. Even my coffee tasted salty. I went to the doctor and, as it turned out, I had a pretty bad kidney infection.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Ok, that was mean! :D
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    This started a long time ago for me and I’ve just gotten used to it now. I don’t add any extra salt to foods and I do drink 3L of water a day. No answer for you sorry.

It started a long time ago for the OP, too. 10 years.
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Well, I hope neither of us has a kidney infection. :/ The only “pro” about this is that it forces me to drink more water each day ...in an attempt to make it go away and quench my thirst/get rid of salty taste but it just doesn’t help. The extra water is probably why I’m losing weight at a good pace and skin is very clear but it doesn’t solve the salty problem.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of abstaining from the vitamin for a week and see if the problem goes away.

If unsalted food tastes salty now there’s something not right going on.
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sometimes dental issues can cause a bad taste... just a thought if you’ve exhausted all other possibilities
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Ok, that was mean! :D

I was bored. #sorrynotsorry

Well that seems pretty clear, you did necromance a 10 year old thread after all.