How long did it take you to lose water weight and how much did you lose?

Options
So I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks, although doctor said I could be sooner based on last exam.

Anyway-in the past month I have put on 20+ pounds while only eating at a calorie surplus of 300 each day. I am very accurate with how I track (food scale for everything) so the math just doesn't line up. OB said she thinks it is all water weight because my legs are so swollen they have started develop tiny ulcers on my legs from the swelling.

Very disheartened right now. I am 5lbs away from my highest weight ever. I had put the scale away because it was stressing me out, but saw the number at my last prenatal visit.

Anyway-for those of you have experienced the same thing, how long after serving baby with an eviction noticed and evicting she/he, did you lose a majority of the water weight? Curious because I don't want to have unrealistic expectations.

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I was not weighing myself in pregnancy but my oedema in the last few weeks was severe. Based on my current experience, it had to be well over 10lb and closer to 20. I've put on 6lb of water weight overnight due to exercise, and that was not even a tiny bit visible, whereas my pregnancy oedema was very clearly visible and obvious - my ankles were thick with it, even my nose was visibly swollen. I was carrying a LOT of water.

Again, can't be very specific about timescales for losing it. It persisted for more than a week, I reckon it was mostly gone a month later.

Also remember the amniotic fluid, placenta and uterus lining all weigh a considerable amount on top of that water weight - pregnancy weight is more than just a 6-8lb baby.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    First off, go easy on yourself- you're pregnant and only gained 20 lbs. The math won't add up because you are growing a person inside of you- so that baby, the placenta, etc- that all weighs something. Make sure you're eating healthy and be cautious of getting enough nutrition for the baby. I gained 40 lbs while pregnant- but lost 14 of those by the time I got home from the hospital (1 week post-partum). So yup, the water weight and actual weight of the baby will come off fairly fast.

Don't forget to eat at least 300-500 surplus each day post-partum while breastfeeding, if you are planning on breastfeeding. While I was breastfeeding, I was on WW, enjoying the extra calories/points and walking with my baby every day and lost another 40 lbs in 7 months.

Anyhoo, my tip is to not fret about the scale. Focus on your health and your baby's health, and yes, the water weight comes off fast but of course depends on everyone's body.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I was not weighing myself in pregnancy but my oedema in the last few weeks was severe. Based on my current experience, it had to be well over 10lb and closer to 20. I've put on 6lb of water weight overnight due to exercise, and that was not even a tiny bit visible, whereas my pregnancy oedema was very clearly visible and obvious - my ankles were thick with it, even my nose was visibly swollen. I was carrying a LOT of water.

Again, can't be very specific about timescales for losing it. It persisted for more than a week, I reckon it was mostly gone a month later.

Also remember the amniotic fluid, placenta and uterus lining all weigh a considerable amount on top of that water weight - pregnancy weight is more than just a 6-8lb baby.

Yeah-right now my lower legs look like I have elephantitis. And okay.
  • elphie754
    Options
    First off, go easy on yourself- you're pregnant and only gained 20 lbs. The math won't add up because you are growing a person inside of you- so that baby, the placenta, etc- that all weighs something. Make sure you're eating healthy and be cautious of getting enough nutrition for the baby. I gained 40 lbs while pregnant- but lost 14 of those by the time I got home from the hospital (1 week post-partum). So yup, the water weight and actual weight of the baby will come off fairly fast.

Don't forget to eat at least 300-500 surplus each day post-partum while breastfeeding, if you are planning on breastfeeding. While I was breastfeeding, I was on WW, enjoying the extra calories/points and walking with my baby every day and lost another 40 lbs in 7 months.

Anyhoo, my tip is to not fret about the scale. Focus on your health and your baby's health, and yes, the water weight comes off fast but of course depends on everyone's body.

20 lbs was this past month alone. All together i have gained 40+ lbs. we are going to try breast feeding but not sure how easy it will be for me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've never been pregnant so take this with a pinch of salt but I have seen women here talk of losing 10/20/30lbs in rapid fashion after they have given birth. I'd echo to try not to worry about it as this point. I know it's frustrating but you can't possibly know what weight is true fat gain vs pregnancy gain until well after you give birth and right now your focus really needs to be on having as easy a labour as possible and looking after baby and yourself post birth. Then you can worry about any excess weight.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I rapidly lost more than half of my weight with all three pregnancies, but I gained a lot more than you--between 35 & 50 lbs. Despite these big gains, I ate fairly carefully, believe it or not, actually exercised!!, and I think I retained an unusual amount of water, because I was pretty much at fighting weight by the time the kids were 3-4 months old. For me, half of it was gone by the 6 week check up all three times. Only the last 5-10 lbs had to be dieted away.
  • goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It took me almost two years to lose 35 pounds of baby weight. I lost about 20 pounds two weeks after delivery. I'm guessing water, blood ,etc. I did nurse for a year . Honestly nursing didn't help he lose weight . I was always starving!! Once I stoped nursing I started to lose weight.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I mentioned previously that I held a ton of water. I did 32oz. of cranberry juice concentrate mixed with water (about 1-2 oz. of concentrate per 16-20oz of water) until the entire box of concentrate was gone. It took me 24-48hrs to get through it. I was in the bathroom constantly. :D I left the hospital weighing easily 30#'s less (I gained a total of 50, 50, 37 respectively). With lots of water drinking I lost most of my water weight within the first 10 days. I ended up having 10#'s of actual weight to lose with the first two and 7#'s with the 3rd. If you really push the water you'll lose the water weight really fast. The hard part is really forcing yourself to drink a lot because you're tired, trying to figure out being a new mom, etc. I promise you, your elephant legs WILL go away. You're almost done. Hang in there.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself when I got home from the hospital with my first baby... and hadn't lost any weight. And that's without an epidural/IV during labour.

Stay off the scale for at least a week or two post-birth, then give it a shot. You'll have lost a ton by then, but it might get worse before it gets better (especially if you have IV fluids).
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I believe my highest weight was about 320 the day before I gave birth and a few days after I was down to 283. So a lot comes off quickly.
  • elphie754
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I rapidly lost more than half of my weight with all three pregnancies, but I gained a lot more than you--between 35 & 50 lbs. Despite these big gains, I ate fairly carefully, believe it or not, actually exercised!!, and I think I retained an unusual amount of water, because I was pretty much at fighting weight by the time the kids were 3-4 months old. For me, half of it was gone by the 6 week check up all three times. Only the last 5-10 lbs had to be dieted away.

Oh wow! That's good news.
    mstein5195 wrote: »
    It took me almost two years to lose 35 pounds of baby weight. I lost about 20 pounds two weeks after delivery. I'm guessing water, blood ,etc. I did nurse for a year . Honestly nursing didn't help he lose weight . I was always starving!! Once I stoped nursing I started to lose weight.

That sucks.
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I weighed myself when I got home from the hospital with my first baby... and hadn't lost any weight. And that's without an epidural/IV during labour.

Stay off the scale for at least a week or two post-birth, then give it a shot. You'll have lost a ton by then, but it might get worse before it gets better (especially if you have IV fluids).

I'm hoping not.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you're puffed up, there's just not much you can do. It will all work itself out within a few weeks. ;) Good luck with the birth! It's amazing, no matter what.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking of you ...three more weeks.. Wow you did great! You will lose the weight, don't worry. I hope you post when baby arrives. I'm so excited for you and I don't even know you LOL.
  • jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know how discouraging it can feel to gain pregnancy weight, but for now try to focus on eating healthy and staying calm for baby, I am convinced being stressed makes it even harder to lose weight. Once you have had a chance to deliver and rest up for a week or so, you can see what the scale says and develop a game plan. I can share with you what my experience was ( I had 2 babies 6 years apart). The first time around, my weight going into pregnancy was 125, I was 22 years old and I only gained 25 pounds the entire pregnancy. 20 pounds came off without me really trying within the first 2 or 3 months. The last 5 pounds was stubborn and never left, but I was still a healthy weight. My second pregnancy was totally different but I was older. I gained 35 pounds, had gestational diabetes (which messes with your hormones, sugar in the body,etc.). 15 pounds came off right away, 5 within the month, but I had to work much harder this time around to lose another 10 pounds within that year. I fluctuated for the next few years between 125 and 145 pounds. Be patient with yourself- you will do this; you can reach your goals!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Water weight should come off pretty fast. I retained quite a bit but not as much as you by the sounds of it. Just remember your body has been through alot of changes and everyone gets their figure back differently. Nursing uses up extra calories and is so much better for baby so I would wholeheartedly suggest you do your best if you can do it. Personally I nursed both of mine and they had way less childhood illness which means lots less sleepless nights from a sick kid! It takes a few days for your milk to come in and will add an extra pound or so just realize it isn't on your hips or in your gut, lol. Good luck in your journey, you should feel better soon.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure and a lot of water weight when I had my daughter. It took 6 weeks + labetalol for me to lose the HBP water weight after I had her.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't have the kind of swelling you do but definitely by the end I could push in my ankle with my thumb and the imprint would stay. I remember after the baby, maybe one or two days after, I peed nonstop and lost a pound or two per day for several days. Stand backward on the scale if you have to, and eye on the prize!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I tend to retain a lot of water with pregnancies. With my daughter I had really bad swelling in my legs (to the point where they sent me to the ER since they thought I had a blood clot).. pretty much as soon as I gave birth, my legs and feet were back to normal.. it was amazing. Then I would say within a week I lost most of the water weight with both my pregnancies.. most recent one I gained about 35lbs, a week later I was already down 21lbs (eta: baby was 7lbs 10oz)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I didn't retain water weight much in my three pregnancies (fat however hell yes because I had a close personal relationship with sheet cakes at that time) but I did recently have surgery that caused me to gain extreme water weight similar to what you are asking about.

I went into the operating theatre at 130lbs, they removed my appendix and wouldn't let me eat for three days- I was a hair over 150lbs when I got home! I knew it was fluid because I literally hadn't eaten so food in transit weight, etc. Wasn't in the realm of possibility anymore. I shed the surgical water weight within two weeks. Hopefully the same is true for you post-baby!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    (fat however hell yes because I had a close personal relationship with sheet cakes at that time)

:D:D:D
    I used to get up at night and eat Penguin biscuits.

Recent research suggests this does babies no harm - but it does make them bigger! Mini me was 8lb 13oz and, I believe, largely composed of Penguin biscuits.