Need help determining my activity level

Options
Hi! I'm gabe. I'm 19 years old, and am a junior college student. I've lost around 45 lbs to get down to 150 in 2014-2015 using MFP in the past but have managed to put on alot of weight since then due to depression. Now I'm 241 and I'm trying to get down to 180.

I'm using MFP again to help me but I'm a little confused about the "activity levels" and could u se a little help to find mine.

Like I said, I'm a normal college student who walks to class so most days I'm on my feet walking around campus. I'm in band and don't play any sports. But I go to a Fittnes center in town usually 4-6 days a week for around 1&1/2 hours and do stuff like cardio and sit in the suana. I document all my workouts in MFP. Usually I'll burn around 500-700 calories with a 1h session on the treadmill.

My question is.... I am "Lightly Active" or just "Active". And should I just exclude my exercises from getting in the way of my activity level. Like basing my activity level on just my daily routine alone and then adding exercises? Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    MFP's activity level includes your non-exercise daily activity. I would guess, based on your description, that you are probably lightly active. You can choose that as your activity level and then continue to log your workouts. That is the way that MFP is designed to work.

The best test of whether or not you chose the right level are your results. If you lose slower than expected (and you're logging accurately), you should probably reduce your activity level. If you lose faster than expected, you can increase it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd go with lightly active and log the intentional exercise. I'd consider walking to/from class as part of 'lightly active' and not log that.
  • Gabrielrodeff
    Gabrielrodeff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! So what would I need to do to have an "Active" activity level?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

In MFP terms, an active person has a job or lifestyle that keeps them on their feet for most of the day.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

10,000 steps/day not including any exercise that you log.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just pick one and go with it for a while and see what happens. Be careful over estimating your exercise. 500-700 on a treadmill is a pretty big burn.