Gluten Free weight loss

Options
So I found out I had to go gluten-free in September, same time I went back for my Masters degree so I have very little time to focus on food... I have felt better but heavier. I can't find diet versions of the snacks and foods I used to have like I could before. Does anyone know how to diet "easy" gluten free.

Replies

• suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest fruit and veg and protein foods like eggs, fish etc. All gluten free.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you say what kind of food and snacks you're looking for. Someone might have a specific solution for you.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I looked down the gluten isle today and looking at a lot of the stuff it was high in sugar so I guess if I want to lose weight I need to avoid the isle as I have to avoid added sugar.

I think I'll follow sbrandt37 advice as others have said on MFP and stop looking for alternatives.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    I have been gluten-free for 15 years or so. The solution is to stop thinking about finding gluten-free substitutes for things you used to eat and just find gluten-free things you like. If you look for substitutes for things you like, you will be disappointed, because the substitutes are almost never as good as the originals. BUT, there are plenty of gluten-free foods that are delicious. Giving up good bread was the hardest for me, but after a while you stop craving it. Fortunately, there are some decent gluten-free breads available now. They aren't as good as the real thing, but good enough, especially if you toast them.

100% agree. I have been GF for 6 years and now I don't even really think about. Snacks I like to eat include peanut butter and banana (sometimes with a GF waffle such as Vans), plain yogurt and berries with honey or maple syrup, any combination of hard boiled eggs, avocado, deli ham and sliced cheese (make sure to get GF ham...I buy Boars Head because it's always GF), GF beef jerkey, raisins and nuts, GF protein bars such as Think Thin, Pure Protein, or Kind.

I cook most of my meals because it can be tricky to eat out. As @sbrandt37 said, I don't really look for GF foods, but for recipes that are naturally GF or can easily be adapted. I like the Skinnytaste.com website. Her meals are usually pretty easy and can almost always be made GF. IF you chose to buy GF pasta, I recommend one with corn, quinoa or bean flour. The rice flour pastas are terribly mushy.

My diary is open if you would like ideas. i usually log, but did not last week because I was on vacation. You will have to go back to the previous week.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for 3 years, my advice is:
    Stop concentrating on what you Cannot eat, and concentrate on what you CAN

Sure there are great tasting GF products out there, but there is a lot of terrible tasting ones too, and GF is filled with sugar and preservatives. Most recipes can be easily be made gluten free. It is really not that hard.

A crockpot/slow cooker is cheap - and makes cooking a doodle, throw your stuff in it, put it on low, go do your studies and dinner is cooking itself.

Spaghetti bolognese, I replace the pasta with spiralized veg as I am not a big fan of GF pasta.

Meatballs in tomato sauce, put in an ovenproof dish, scatter cheese over the top, bake and enjoy.

Taco's, I normally omit the shells and wrap mine in salad leaves to keep the calories down, yummy and takes you 10 mins to cook.

Chilli with rice, easy, simple, and quick, dinner in under 30mins

Avocado, halved, scoop out the put, replace with egg, and bake, serve with a salad, dinner/lunch in 10mins

Soup - yummy and filling

Make GF breakfast oats with oats, youghurt and fruits, leave overnight in the fridge, sprinkle with some chia seeds if you like. Scrummy. 3 mins preptime - leave overnight, take out in the morning and eat.

GF cereals are normally OK if you like those

Salads with prawns, bacon, tuna, chicken, you name it, you can make it, mix in some superfoods, a boiled egg, make some fab dressings or buy some down the store that you like.

Snacks: boiled eggs, vegetable sticks with cream cheese, celery sticks, cold meats, carb free sandwiches (meat/cheese rolled in lettuce) pickles,

Make mini breakfast/lunch/snack muffins. Muffin tray, you can line each with bacon or cold meats. Whisp eggs with herbs and spices, grated cheese if you want (make sure it is GF). In each muffin tray put some veg, I like mine with broccoli, maybe some onions. Pour the egg mix over the lot, top with grated cheese if you wish. Put in oven on medium/high heat for 20 mins. Tastes great, freezes well, easy reheat in the micro, can be eaten hot or cold. 10mins prep time, 20 mins cooking for 12 beauties.

In other words, cooking GF healthily and loosing weight is not harder than cooking for the "normal" people.