IM NEW! I DONT GET IT

Options
2»

Replies

• joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would echo the great comments above, but also say that eating below your MFP goal by a couple hundred calories here and there is no big deal. It's when you are consistently under by many hundreds every day that its an issue. For me, I like to bank the extra 100 or 200 calories on days when I'm not as hungry, because I know myself and in the next day or two I'm almost guaranteed to be more peckish. I can "go over" by 100 or 200 calories and in the end its a wash. Just a thought!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I would echo the great comments above, but also say that eating below your MFP goal by a couple hundred calories here and there is no big deal. It's when you are consistently under by many hundreds every day that its an issue. For me, I like to bank the extra 100 or 200 calories on days when I'm not as hungry, because I know myself and in the next day or two I'm almost guaranteed to be more peckish. I can "go over" by 100 or 200 calories and in the end its a wash. Just a thought!

Well, yes, if your average is near your goal then that's fine. But if you're averaging well under goal, that's a problem.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jayco141 wrote: »
    Calories in/Calories out is not the way to do it. Just like we were always told, eat well and exercise! Added sugars are Evil. I do love to log my calories to see where I am at on any given day because it trains you to understand what you eat matters. You will get there and don't be afraid to eat. Just learn what to eat!
    Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. OP. Don't listen to this.

CICO is the way. This is confirmed scientifically. It refers to the energy balance between consumed calories and expended calories.

Sugar...*sigh* is not evil. Added sugar is not evil. It will not hinder weight loss. Ask anyone here who has lost weight and maintained including sugar in their diet.
  • BecKinnz
    BecKinnz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Calories in/Calories out is not the way to do it. Just like we were always told, eat well and exercise! Added sugars are Evil. I do love to log my calories to see where I am at on any given day because it trains you to understand what you eat matters. You will get there and don't be afraid to eat. Just learn what to eat!

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    PCOS-specific comment:

Here's the short version of what works for me.

1. Set your MFP goal to 1.5 lbs/week, but don't expect to lose that much. It may be slower.

2. Eat 150g carbs or fewer per day.

3. 45 min of sweaty exercise, 6 days a week. Yoga and leisurely walks aren't enough. If you can't do 45 minutes all at once, just break for a minute, catch your breath, and start again when you're ready, until you’ve reached the total time. Weight lifting is also awesome, but more important is to do something strenuous that you will do consistently.

Insulin is an issue, so lowish carb and heavy exercise are key. They also help with satiety, blood glucose levels, and earning enough extra calories to stay sane. It can also drive down testosterone levels, which helps reduce some of the less pleasant symptoms.

I started at 248 and am now at 206.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Jenny (OP),
    First, I sent you a FR and am happy to lend whatever advice you'd like.

Now for the core of the subject: If you're a "numbers/data" girl. Then this will help explain it.
    All that is meant by deficit is burning more calories that what you consume. You need a total calorie deficit of 3000 cals per week to lose 1 lb.
    When you set up your MFP profile, among all of the info you provided was your weekly weight loss goal and your activity level. Based on that, MFP automatically built in a calorie deficit into your daily calorie amount to get you to that goal. When you exercise, you burn more than was initially calculated, so MFP will add in those calories burned to your food allowance for the day. Some on MFP say eat those back, others say don't, and then there are others that say eat part of it back. You'll need to determine what works best for you. For me, I eat most of it back. Also pay attention to your macros. For the most part its calories burned versus calories in.. but it makes a difference where those calories come from; fats, carbs, protein, etc..
    • Buy a scale. Weigh your food. LOG EVERTHING YOU EAT.. every bite, nibble, lick, whatever. If you take a bite of your fiance's ice cream.. you log that too. ;) You'll be amazed at how many calories you've really been eating. Better to know where you are exactly so you know how to get/keep yourself on target.

Since you're still early in this, I strongly recommend you take your measurements and take keep a picture of how you are now. Over time, as you write your measurements down, you'll be able to see your progress in a very concrete way. Sometimes we don't see it in the mirror, but that's where the numbers will help you actually see it. That first picture will also act in the same way. We ALWAYS love to see the Before & After posts of people on their journeys. It helps to keep all of us motivated, experienced and new alike.
    Welcome to MFP!
  • JennyAnne101
    JennyAnne101 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Aww you have all been super super helpful.

I have learned a lot reading.

Did my first weigh in today and lost 5 pounds!

But what are macros may I add?
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients... Protein, Carbs, Fats... those are the main ones tracked... :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Aww you have all been super super helpful.

I have learned a lot reading.

Did my first weigh in today and lost 5 pounds!

But what are macros may I add?

Marcros = Fat, Carbs, Protein
    Micros = vitamins and minerals

Your calories for the day can further be broken down to carbs, fat, and proteins (Macro Nurtrients). Carbs and Protein are 4 cals per gram. Fat is 9 cals per gram. All 3 play important roles in our dietary needs.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,638 Member
    Options

Um... nope.

nope.gif

Added sugars are NOT evil. If you want to lose weight, you need to consume less calories than you are burning*.

The quality of WHAT you eat directly impacts how full you feel (i.e. if you drink 350 calories in soda pop, vs consuming 350 cals of chicken).

*note: I do not know what impact PCOS has on your day to day calorie burn
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    PCOS-specific comment:

Here's the short version of what works for me.

1. Set your MFP goal to 1.5 lbs/week, but don't expect to lose that much. It may be slower.

2. Eat 150g carbs or fewer per day.

3. 45 min of sweaty exercise, 6 days a week. Yoga and leisurely walks aren't enough. If you can't do 45 minutes all at once, just break for a minute, catch your breath, and start again when you're ready, until you’ve reached the total time. Weight lifting is also awesome, but more important is to do something strenuous that you will do consistently.

Insulin is an issue, so lowish carb and heavy exercise are key. They also help with satiety, blood glucose levels, and earning enough extra calories to stay sane. It can also drive down testosterone levels, which helps reduce some of the less pleasant symptoms.

I started at 248 and am now at 206.

OP, I have PCOS as well and just wanted to say that one size does not fit all for us.

I usually eat between 150-175 grams of carbs. You and possibly your doctor/nutritionist should determine what works best for you.

The forms of exercise I'm currently using are yoga and walking, not any types of strenuous exercise. Although yoga can be difficult at times.

I've lost 17 pounds in 7 weeks although my loss per week is slowing.

My point to you is just that what works for others in regards to PCOS may differ for you.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Drink water, migraines may be because your dehydrated? Just a thought.
    I have pcos. I'm losing weight on mfp, just requires determination and honesty with myself to log the REAL amount of food I'm eating. Good luck and well done on your lose
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Macros are optional, some people monitor them and others don't. They basically show how you are balancing your diet, and you can change the targets to suit your preferences. So for example if you were eating low carb, or high carb, or aiming for a particular intake of protein or maybe you need to limit your fat for medical reasons - there are all sorts of options for macro balance and myfitnesspal helps with all of them. You can also set it to track other nutrients, like fibre, sodium, sugar - it depends on your personal goals.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You should probably weigh yourself first before posting like this so people can help you with all the information. You may have lost 10lbs in 10 days, which is way too much, and could be the real reason for the body aches and pains.

good luck though, there is a lot of knowledgable people on this forum who have been successful, find something right for you. :)