Whole30 diet

Hello, anyone with a Whole30 diet experience? I'm following this program for the past ten days and i'm feeling optimistic about loosing weight.

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    The avoid list is too harsh for me but then I saw this 2. Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. Counts me out, but good luck :smile:
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    What happens after "30"?
  • diva_kate
    diva_kate Posts: 54 Member
    What happens after "30"?

You reintroduce foods back into your diet and see how they affect you. After doing Whole 30 my sister felt "drunk" when she ate a bagel.
  • capellof
    capellof Posts: 6 Member
    Yes, you're right. It was not created as a weight loss plan; but I hear positive reviews from people, regarding their experience once they eliminated process foods and complex carbs.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Is your goal to figure out which foods you're intolerant to, or is it to find a sustainable way of eating that you can live with for the rest of your life (or both)?
  • Hello_its_Dan
    diva_kate wrote: »
    What happens after "30"?

You reintroduce foods back into your diet and see how they affect you. After doing Whole 30 my sister felt "drunk" when she ate a bagel.

Lol I'm joking.

What if you don't need to eliminate food?
    Wouldn't that screw with your microbiome?

Imagine being able to digest style of nutrient, then you eliminate that nutrient starving off that type of microbe.
    Just thinking out loud here.
    This"diet" doesn't sound smart...
    Fodmaps on the other hand is backed by science.
  • capellof
    Well, I was diagnosed with a lymphatic sickness and I need to boost my inmune system. I don't want to go vegan, I love meat.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    capellof wrote: »
    Well, I was diagnosed with a lymphatic sickness and I need to boost my inmune system. I don't want to go vegan, I love meat.

Can you explain exactly what lymphatic sickness is?
  • Hello_its_Dan
    edited February 2017
    diva_kate wrote: »
    What happens after "30"?

Lol I'm joking.

What if you don't need to eliminate food?
    Wouldn't that screw with your microbiome?

Imagine being able to digest style of nutrient, then you eliminate that nutrient starving off that type of microbe.
    Just thinking out loud here.
    This"diet" doesn't sound smart...
    Fodmaps on the other hand is backed by science.

Instead of immediately judging Whole30 negatively, why not go check out the website?

My husband and I completed Whole30 at the end of January. He did it to support me in my box's Winter Challenge, but ended up with the most amazing results. He was able to stop taking cholesterol medication after just 30 days! His doctor was completely floored and is even thinking about starting Whole30 herself.

I found out that breads and pastas leave me exhausted, for three days I struggled at work to stay awake after eating pizza during lunch. Alcohol isn't worth it either, it keeps me from being able to rest at night. Post Whole30, our skin is clearer, we sleep better/longer, I dropped 9.9 lbs and my husband dropped 12! Weight loss isn't the goal, but is often a side effect of eliminating added sugar, alcohol, legumes, dairy and artificial ingredients.

It always makes me laugh when someone turns up their nose at Whole30 because what could possibly be bad about eating meat, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats? I don't understand why people are so apprehensive about it, it only asks you to make a commitment of 30 days, JUST THIRTY DAYS! Here's the kicker, if you don't want to do it, you don't have to!

Good for you guys!

I'm only asking thought provoking questions.
    What happens after 30?
    What happens if you eliminate something that isn't necessary?
    Why not use something backed by science if using elimination diets?
  • capellof
    Follicular Lymphoma B cell :(
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Ah!

This is what I sent my father in law when he was diagnosed.
    He's in full remission now.

Great info here but as always, talk to your doctor.

http://www.lymphoma.org/site/pp.asp?c=bkLTKaOQLmK8E&b=8596757
  • slyce0flife
    slyce0flife Posts: 19 Member
    Good for you guys!

What happens after 30?

After 30 you slowly reintroduce the things you want to have, dairy one day, go back to W30 eating for two days. Have peanut butter, go back to W30 for two days. You do this so that you can cognitively think about how those things make you feel or how physically your body reacts to it.

The things I mentioned eliminating are not necessary to a human's diet.

Scientifically, meat, fruit, vegetables and healthy fats like coconut, olive oil, almonds, nut butters are healthy.

• Hello_its_Dan
    Good for you guys!

What happens after 30?

After 30 you slowly reintroduce the things you want to have, dairy one day, go back to W30 eating for two days. Have peanut butter, go back to W30 for two days. You do this so that you can cognitively think about how those things make you feel or how physically your body reacts to it.

The things I mentioned eliminating are not necessary to a human's diet.

Scientifically, meat, fruit, vegetables and healthy fats like coconut, olive oil, almonds, nut butters are healthy.

Awesome!
    So you and your husband have found an easy, sustainable lifestyle.
    Best luck in your journey.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I've done Whole 30 a couple times. I learned something new each time I did it about how my body reacts to certain foods. I know that there are a LOT of food sensitivities out there and sometimes you dont even realize you have one until it's gone. Strange sounding I know . Buy I didn't realize that I was chronically phlegmmy in my throat (sorry gross I know) until I did whole 30 and realized it was gone. Turns out dairy immediately causes issues for me. Also found out that I bloat horribly on wheat and just feel tired and gross, but that other grains are OK. One round I learned about my emotional and psychological triggers that caused food cravings. I think its a very educational process and personally highly recommend it (although from a weight loss perspective it's not much different than any program out there. I lost 2 - 2.5 lbs per week each time I did it). One thing I will say is that I FELT and LOOKED much skinnier (I think because no bloat and inflammation ) after the program than I do now while eating foods at a Deficit. For example, one time I did whole 30 I got down to 183lbs. Today I weighed in at that same weight, but I am way more bloaty and puffy now than I was after whole 30. People report some amazing physiological changes from doing it and it's all healthy foods so I say why not? I do think it's not a sustainable way to eat (too much prep work and you can never eat out) but it's not meant to be a life long WOE- just a chance for a fresh start.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Oh i forgot to say - if you do decide to do the program, keep a copy of the Whole 30 Timeline nearby. It really helps to understand what's going on in your body and to explain various symptoms etc you might experience. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Good for you guys!

What happens after 30?

After 30 you slowly reintroduce the things you want to have,

or alternative 2:

11547911.jpg

I have never met nor heard about a real life alternative 1 person.