Rice serving

Options
Does 1/4 cup of rice make 1 serving or is it more just starting to try new things to have and want to make sure. Thanks

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Buy yourself a food scale and measure all the solid food in the food scale. Cups are too inaccurate and the calorie variance can be material
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? How many calories do you want to "spend" on rice (for next its usually 0)

How much you eat is determined by those things, not a random serving size. Find an entry for raw, uncooked rice in grams. Work out how much you want, weigh it raw the cook it.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to eat? How many calories do you want to "spend" on rice (for next its usually 0)

How much you eat is determined by those things, not a random serving size. Find an entry for raw, uncooked rice in grams. Work out how much you want, weigh it raw the cook it.

Just one serving 1/4 cup uncook just wanted to make sure thats for one serving or more that makes
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    Hi

Buy yourself a food scale and measure all the solid food in the food scale. Cups are too inaccurate and the calorie variance can be material

Thanks, just got a food scale a few days ago and getting used to it what to weigh things in. I just wanted to make sure that 1/4 cup of rice makes 1 serving or more
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Yes, one quarter cup is a recommended serving size for rice, white, medium-grain, raw. The 1/4 cup medium-grain raw rice weighs about 49 grams and has about 176 Calories per USDA National Nutrient Database.

Source: Basic Report: 20050, Rice, white, medium-grain, raw, enriched
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    1/4 cup of dry rice is one serving. Usually 45 grams. Once cooked, the volume will be more than 1/4 cup. The rice will probably fill 1/2 to 2/3 cup because it absorbed water.

So, if you measure one cup of dry rice and cook according to the package directions, you will have four servings of cooked rice.

Thanks just wanted to make sure
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Yes, one quarter cup is a recommended serving size for rice, white, medium-grain, raw. The 1/4 cup medium-grain raw rice weighs about 49 grams and has about 176 Calories per USDA National Nutrient Database.

Source: Basic Report: 20050, Rice, white, medium-grain, raw, enriched

Thank you
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you mean for weighing / logging purposes then use whatever serving size is on the package. If you mean what sized serving should you eat, then go by whatever fits your taste and calorie allowance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of dry rice is one serving. Usually 45 grams. Once cooked, the volume will be more than 1/4 cup. The rice will probably fill 1/2 to 2/3 cup because it absorbed water.

So, if you measure one cup of dry rice and cook according to the package directions, you will have four servings of cooked rice.

i have 80g as a 'serving' and my husband has 100g :laugh:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi

Thanks, just got a food scale a few days ago and getting used to it what to weigh things in. I just wanted to make sure that 1/4 cup of rice makes 1 serving or more

No, 1/2 cup is one serving (46g). But like others have said-go by grams and weigh it dry. Also, 1 serving of rice is pretty small, so you'll probably want to add other things to it, or make 2 servings fit into your calories. I can easily eat 2 servings of rice mixed in with a bag of frozen veggies and a can of chicken. Comes in at around 600 calories.

eta: seeing others saying 1/4 cup is a serving-what kind of rice are you all eating? I'm looking at my box of rice right now (Aldi, instant white), and it says 1/2 cup (46g) is one serving.
  • CyberTone
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi

No, 1/2 cup is one serving (46g). But like others have said-go by grams and weigh it dry. Also, 1 serving of rice is pretty small, so you'll probably want to add other things to it, or make 2 servings fit into your calories. I can easily eat 2 servings of rice mixed in with a bag of frozen veggies and a can of chicken. Comes in at around 600 calories.

eta: seeing others saying 1/4 cup is a serving-what kind of rice are you all eating? I'm looking at my box of rice right now (Aldi, instant white), and it says 1/2 cup (46g) is one serving.

One half cup of uncooked (raw) rice weighs about 90 to 98 grams, depending on the type of rice: jasmine, basmati, etc. I cook 1/2 cup of raw basmati rice (I round the weight up to 100g) every other day; so I am sure this is correct. I consider that amount of cooked rice as two servings, because that whole batch is almost 350 Calories. Could I eat all of it? Sure. But I don't. :)

• crzycatlady1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi

One half cup of uncooked (raw) rice weighs about 90 to 98 grams, depending on the type of rice: jasmine, basmati, etc. I cook 1/2 cup of raw basmati rice (I round the weight up to 100g) every other day; so I am sure this is correct. I consider that amount of cooked rice as two servings, because that whole batch is almost 350 Calories. Could I eat all of it? Sure. But I don't. :)

Now I'm so confused lol. I just measured out 46 grams of rice on my food scale. 1/2 cup dry rice equals right around 46 grams, not 100g. The nutrition label of the kind I eat (instant white), states that a serving size is 1/2 cup (46g) and makes about 1 cup cooked. Calories per serving 170. The measuring cup I'm using is a 1/2 cup (hard to see in the picture but it's on the handle).

rice_zpsypehhmwk.jpg

Am I totally missing something here?
  • crzycatlady1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi

Now I'm so confused lol. I just measured out 46 grams of rice on my food scale. 1/2 cup dry rice equals right around 46 grams, not 100g. The nutrition label of the kind I eat (instant white), states that a serving size is 1/2 cup (46g) and makes about 1 cup cooked. Calories per serving 170. The measuring cup I'm using is a 1/2 cup (hard to see in the picture but it's on the handle).

rice_zpsypehhmwk.jpg

Am I totally missing something here?

1/4 cup dry is 45 grams for me as well. The only thing I can think of is that instant rice is partially cooked before being dehydrated, so maybe it takes up more space than dry uncooked rice.

I'm now on a mission to go out and buy all the different kinds of rice I can find and then weigh them all up :# I think I have a box of brown rice gathering dust somewhere, off to find it lol.

eta: the brown rice I have also goes by 1/2 cup servings (50g dry rice/makes about 2/3 cup cooked). But it's instant brown rice like the white-I bet you're right and the process for making rice 'instant' does something to the measuring/weight ratio.

• CyberTone
    Options
    1/4 cup dry is 45 grams for me as well. The only thing I can think of is that instant rice is partially cooked before being dehydrated, so maybe it takes up more space than dry uncooked rice.

Correct. Instant or "minute" rice is mostly cooked, which swells the grain; then it is dehydrated. The size of each grain does not shrink much in the dehydration stage, so its density when dried is much less than a raw grain of uncooked rice.

One half cup by volume of unprepared raw rice is about 98g, whereas one half cup of unprepared minute rice is about 46g.

h66irnic4i3w.jpg