50 and hypothyroid/menopausal

Options
So I did wright watchers for 5 months, followed the plan and never strayed once. I did more exercise than ever (kick boxing 3xs week, mountain biking 3 xs a week, walking 2 miles daily and yoga once a week) and lost 8 pounds in the first month and then plataued. They said drink more water and I did and nothing. I went to my doctor who despite have a normal thyroid level increased my thyroid medicine to see if it would help and I lost an additional 2 pounds over the next 2 months. So I'm ready and willing and can be dedicated but it's so hard to put in the work and see nothing happen. Not to despair I added weight lifting 3-5 xs a week and have to give up kick boxing due to an injury that required surgery. But still biking, walking, lifting and I have since lost 2 more pounds in 6 weeks. So then I thought I must have poly ovarian cystic disease which would explain why I'm not losing weight and went to my ob/gun and no I don't have it. Next I tried kryprolean which is an appetite suppressant and fat burner and lost nothing. I didn't gain anymore but didn't lose. I love the fitness app and tracking food it's easy and very helpful not to eat mindlessly. So that's my story. I'm down but not out and I will figure it out some day. I also pray about it which really boosts my spirit and keeps me from getting depressed about my weight. This is awesome to get this off my chest. My family really doesn't want to hear it anymore so that to all of you for listening, It really helps!

Replies

• colonagirl
    colonagirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. At 55 I'm heavier than I've ever been. UGH! I too thought it must be something physically wrong, nope. I recently went to a nurse at my Dr's office and had a nutritional counseling session. I will be doing a low carb eating plan (my chiro has been telling me that for years). Too many carbs and the body stores all the excess as fat. Good luck on your journey.
  • izzy214
    izzy214 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? You should drink half your weight in water every day. I have been going to my dr. for helping to get my body chemistry back in balance. I have lost 5 pounds in 3 days, the water really helps.
    Good luck.
    Izzy
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    All the working out is great, but the only thing that matters in weight loss is maintaining a caloric deficit. Check your logging and ensure you are being accurate first and foremost.

Just drink to your thirst - your urine should be clear to light straw colored.
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 50 also and I have some of the same symptoms as you are having. But you sound so much fitter than I am. Kickboxing, mountain biking, yoga. etc. Like the others say Calorie deficit usually does the trick. How much weight are you still looking to lose? You sound like you are in great shape. I have a co-worker who for years has been trying to lose some pregnancy weight. I know she is very diligent and goes to the gym before work and then after work she goes running , I see her all the time, usually she runs probably around 7 -10 miles or so. Weekends is long distance cycling.. No matter how hot, she is out there running, cycling sweating, I worry about her health often. I know she eats healthy because we share recepies etc. Her body just refuses to lose weight. Maybe it is genetic, who knows. Do you have a large frame maybe, or could it be all the muscle you must have gained by excercising ? . Has your doctor checked you for everything including minerals such as potassium, perhaps you are retaining sodium?
  • FasterStrongerBetter2017
    Options
    Hypothyroid here. Feel free to add me!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose, or, conversely, what's your current height/weight?
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting (basically eating within an 8-hour window, which for me means noon-8) and it's nudging the scale down a bit. My weight loss has been incredibly slow although I'm measuring/weighing/logging everything and exercise. This helps a bit and doesn't seem had to do.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow 50-year olds!!! I joined the club last November and am so glad to put the 49s behind me. I know that's probably not a very popular sentiment, but 40s were hard going for me having found I was low thyroid, diabetic, high cholesterol, and 70 pounds overweight! I was able to lose those 70 pounds four years ago with the ketogenic diet and zero exercise (because of a darned statin drug which left me with a whopping mitochondrial disease and bedridden for a year). Every year since gets better and I'm finally out of bed and able to work for short periods. The diabetes is completely reversed and thyroid back to normal with the ketogenic diet. But, a couple of years ago I cane off the diet and gained back 35 pounds, thyroid trouble came back, blood sugars creeped back up. So, I'm carbohydrate intolerant. I have to accept that.

On January 28th I decided I had had enough! So, I went back to Keto and have lost almost 11 pounds as of this morning. But weigh-in day for me is officially on Fridays.

I could really use some support! Keto is not easy at first. You change your entire energy source and the body hates to do that. It's absolute torture for a few days, and then you have to cook differently. Different breads, different treats, different life. After a while it's easy-peasy, but in the beginning it can be downright sad.

But, this is about weight loss, I'm not trying to sell Keto, it's just the absolute only way I can lose weight. I will tell you, I miss being normal weight. I felt so beautiful and confident, more open and friendly, outgoing. I wanted so much to be out there among life and the loving. I absolutely despise being so overweight. I mean, a little is fine, but obesity is not.

I would love to have a support group of men and women my age who understands just how hard it is to lose this weight with the challenges of age and health issues. Some of you are extraordinary with the exercise and I'd love to be pushed to do Something daily. I have so much resistance! If you are interested, please friend me and I promise to be your biggest cheerleader. Life is complicated and we all go through our trials increasing those cortisone levels which seriously interfere with weight loss. You can talk to me about Anything under the sun. I'm here for you and I have the time. To health!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Gentyl wrote: »
    Hello my fellow 50-year olds!!! I joined the club last November and am so glad to put the 49s behind me. I know that's probably not a very popular sentiment, but 40s were hard going for me having found I was low thyroid, diabetic, high cholesterol, and 70 pounds overweight! I was able to lose those 70 pounds four years ago with the ketogenic diet and zero exercise (because of a darned statin drug which left me with a whopping mitochondrial disease and bedridden for a year). Every year since gets better and I'm finally out of bed and able to work for short periods. The diabetes is completely reversed and thyroid back to normal with the ketogenic diet. But, a couple of years ago I cane off the diet and gained back 35 pounds, thyroid trouble came back, blood sugars creeped back up. So, I'm carbohydrate intolerant. I have to accept that.

On January 28th I decided I had had enough! So, I went back to Keto and have lost almost 11 pounds as of this morning. But weigh-in day for me is officially on Fridays.

I could really use some support! Keto is not easy at first. You change your entire energy source and the body hates to do that. It's absolute torture for a few days, and then you have to cook differently. Different breads, different treats, different life. After a while it's easy-peasy, but in the beginning it can be downright sad.

But, this is about weight loss, I'm not trying to sell Keto, it's just the absolute only way I can lose weight. I will tell you, I miss being normal weight. I felt so beautiful and confident, more open and friendly, outgoing. I wanted so much to be out there among life and the loving. I absolutely despise being so overweight. I mean, a little is fine, but obesity is not.

I would love to have a support group of men and women my age who understands just how hard it is to lose this weight with the challenges of age and health issues. Some of you are extraordinary with the exercise and I'd love to be pushed to do Something daily. I have so much resistance! If you are interested, please friend me and I promise to be your biggest cheerleader. Life is complicated and we all go through our trials increasing those cortisone levels which seriously interfere with weight loss. You can talk to me about Anything under the sun. I'm here for you and I have the time. To health!

You'll find lots of support on these two groups.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112128-low-carber-daily-ladies-over-50

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group