Cycling Briefs/Shorts/Capris/Leggings - Brand Suggestions for Women?

Options
AnnPT77
AnnPT77 Posts: 32,304 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Mysteriously ( ;) ) my comfy old no-name cycling shorts & capris became way too big, and would now fall off my body. I bought a pair of cycling briefs last Fall - cheap, in a pinch. Based on a short ride today in unseasonably warm weather for my USA Great-Lakes-area region, these briefs are Not Good. Ow!

I know that choices in this realm are very individual, but I'd appreciate hearing what brands/lines other women have found helpful & comfortable, that might be available to me in the USA, as a help in narrowing things down for a future purchase.

I'm not a serious cyclist, more a recreational one - I cycle for fun when I can't row (that's my "real" sport). But even my longer short recreational granny rides would benefit from a comfortable chamois. I ride upright (low-back-sparing for the li'l ol' lady ;) , on a hybrid bike, some roads/some trails, and typically for only 1-2 hours at a time. I might go longer on occasions.

Are there brands you like? That you've hated? Vendors that have honest reviews on their site?

Thanks for any tips you can offer!

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I bought a pair from amazon havent gotten to use them yet though. it got cold quick here.I got these but the padding is pink https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01489QQQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the price I figured why not. I can always order something more expensive later. some have removable padding though

I heard baleaf and beroy are good brands though
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm a Cobb cycling fan - John Cobb designs both road and triathlon saddles and has bike shorts too but they are like minimal padding - after wearing them I struggle with anything that has thicker padding
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I bought a pair from amazon havent gotten to use them yet though. it got cold quick here.I got these but the padding is pink https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01489QQQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the price I figured why not. I can always order something more expensive later. some have removable padding though

I bought some in the Fall, just to be speedy and they were cheap. They were Baleaf. They were OK on a really short ride, but I went a little longer and . . . no. Maybe TMI, but major frontal numbness and discomfort - felt raw, but sensation didn't last, thankfully. And that was only 1.5hr ride!

I'll check out the Amazon ones you linked, though - affordable, so easy to try. Thanks.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I like MEC's least expensive one .... at least I did when I got my last 3 pair a few years ago. I hope they're still similar.

However, assuming that they may have changed, I've started picking up a Pearl Izumi brand that seem to be all right.

With both, I would prefer if the padding were a little less lumpy ... but I've worn the MEC ones on rides up to 400 km randonnees (brevets), and I've worn the PI ones on rides up to 160 km.

You've really got to go and try a bunch on. Try them on and stand in them, sit in them, straddle a chair in them, lift your legs as though you were pedalling. Check to ensure that the padding covers your sitbones. Check that there's not too much padding up front.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like Terry the best without question. I also have some PI ones that work well on the butt, but I hate the elastic on the leg.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the bella shorts by Terry. terrybicycles.com. They have liners as well. They were my first riding shorts and come in short, medium, and longer lengths. Look for the yoga band style for extra comfort in the tummy area :)
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love Pearl Izumi shorts, or for mountain biking, Zoic. I've always trusted Nashbar's site for cycling stuff: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I bought some in the Fall, just to be speedy and they were cheap. They were Baleaf. They were OK on a really short ride, but I went a little longer and . . . no. Maybe TMI, but major frontal numbness and discomfort - felt raw, but sensation didn't last, thankfully. And that was only 1.5hr ride!

I'll check out the Amazon ones you linked, though - affordable, so easy to try. Thanks.

This sounds more like a seat angle problem to me. I had a similar issue until I tilted the nose of my seat very slightly down, to ensure I'm riding on my sit bones. It was problem regardless of what I was wearing. Is this a possibility?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I had the same issue when I first starting riding again. I was like what is going on I rode all the time when I was younger and had NO issues lol.the seats anymore are hard as heck. Im thinking about getting a new seat as well,one with more padding.
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Terry is a female-focused company, so their stuff should probably be good. Garneau, Castelli and Pearl Izumi are strong in the market. Assos is the gold standard, but costly. Ask the people in your local bike shops. They will likely know what’s best regarded in your area.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

This sounds more like a seat angle problem to me. I had a similar issue until I tilted the nose of my seat very slightly down, to ensure I'm riding on my sit bones. It was problem regardless of what I was wearing. Is this a possibility?

I had the same issue when I first starting riding again. I was like what is going on I rode all the time when I was younger and had NO issues lol.the seats anymore are hard as heck. Im thinking about getting a new seat as well,one with more padding.

I don't think it's seat angle, or newbie-hood. I'm heading into year 2 of weight maintenance, and have been riding the same bike throughout, so I think it's not related to . . . um . . . a change in natural padding with weight loss, or to body configuration changed vs. bike unchanged, either.

For most of last year, I rode in regular workout clothes (not bike-specific) on rides up to and beyond as long as yesterday's, and was more comfortable than in the bike briefs!

I also take spin classes twice a week - I know that's a different bike & different pressure, but in the past I've found some carryover in seat-related "conditioning" from spin to my regular bike.

I do use (and routinely have used) a gel seat pad.

Thank you everyone for your input - it's very helpful!
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I like MEC's least expensive one .... at least I did when I got my last 3 pair a few years ago. I hope they're still similar.

However, assuming that they may have changed, I've started picking up a Pearl Izumi brand that seem to be all right.

With both, I would prefer if the padding were a little less lumpy ... but I've worn the MEC ones on rides up to 400 km randonnees (brevets), and I've worn the PI ones on rides up to 160 km.

You've really got to go and try a bunch on. Try them on and stand in them, sit in them, straddle a chair in them, lift your legs as though you were pedalling. Check to ensure that the padding covers your sitbones. Check that there's not too much padding up front.

I also liked MEC's old Journey cycling shorts for shorter rides and commuting, but they have changed and not for the better. I wish MEC would show their chamois on their website.

For longer rides on my road bike I wear Sugoi (RS Pro Short). I have some Sugoi Neo that I got on sale and use for commuting. The chamois is okay, but the short is too stretchy for a long ride.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My favorite chamios is the one in Pearl Izumi Quest (long) or Sugar (short). I like these better than my expensive bibs that I have to buy for my team. They can be worn alone or under baggies and can be found a lot of places for less than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Womens-Sugar-Shorts/dp/B00JTRGVOE

My favorite baggies are Zoic Navaeh, which are a little pricey but can occasionally be found on clearance.
    http://zoic.com/womens-mountain-bike-clothing/bottoms/shorts/navaeh-unlined-shorts

http://zoic.com/womens-mountain-bike-clothing/bottoms/shorts/navaeh-Novelty-shorts-unlined
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love Shebeest. They run a tad small but what cycling brand doesn't? I just got my tax refund and I'm buying my first halter bib. ooooh weee!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Appreciating all the good recommendations - thank you, all, for contributing. I knew I could count on MFP women for some ideas! :)