Cleanse question

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The problem with cleanses is multi part.

1. They're often very low calorie. While this isn't an issue for a single day when you eat very low calorie for multiple days at a time your body has to start burning lean tissue to make up for the missing calories. There's a limit to the amount of calories from fat your body can use, these cleanses surpass that 90% of the time.
    2. They are often low protein. Protein is important to preserve lean mass. Combine low protein with very low calorie and you have a recipe for muscle loss. Muscle loss results in a lower BMR, which results in yo-yo dieting.
    3. They're usually low fiber. If they really wanted to cleanse the body it would have to have adequate fiber. Fiber is what helps clean out your intestines. Just drinking a bunch of liquids, or even worse adding a laxative, would actually cause more harm than good in your intestines because you are more likely to cause a bacterial imbalance.

You also mentioned people who are obese and eating a diet of purely processed foods. Simply adding lean proteins, vegetables, and drinking more water is all that it would take to significantly improve the condition of the digestive tract (including liver and kidneys). Switching to a bunch of teas or pills or ACV is forcing the body to work harder to balance our pH. It's not cleaning, it's worried you are being poisoned.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention that juicing removes fiber from the veggies or fruit so that's not good.
  • jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, the question might be - what are you expecting the juice and kale to do? If your answer is "provide nutrients for optimal functioning of the body" you'll get plenty of agreement here. If your answer is "remove toxins and give the liver and kidneys a rest", not so much.

The former, not the latter. I guess just don't call it a cleanse and we all agree lol.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Well, the question might be - what are you expecting the juice and kale to do? If your answer is "provide nutrients for optimal functioning of the body" you'll get plenty of agreement here. If your answer is "remove toxins and give the liver and kidneys a rest", not so much.
    The former, not the latter. I guess just don't call it a cleanse and we all agree lol.

I can get behind that!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Eating highly nutritious foods like kale, spinach, etc is good for you. Any claims beyond that are just noise. You still aren't cleansing anything by consuming them. Just nourishing yourself well.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP, the reason people here get so up in arms over "cleanses" and "superfoods" is because:
    1. There is no proof that either are necessary. Your liver and kidneys take care of "cleansing" just fine, and all the nutrients you need are readily available in all the regular fruits, veggies, whole grains, meat and fish you can get on the cheap at your local grocery store.
    2. So many people struggle to lose weight because they are convinced you need to spend a lot of money, buy special foods or supplements, follow a strict diet, etc to lose weight and they can't stick with it.
    3. There is this constant issue of people assuming either you eat "clean" or you eat "junk". When the reality is that most people (here on MFP and that I know IRL, at least) who succeed in losing weight and keeping it off, eat a diet with a balance of foundational nutritious foods along with convenience foods and treats.

We just try really hard to fight back against the constant drumbeat of the health & fitness industry that continues to convince people that weight loss is complicated, expensive, and too hard for us huddled masses to do on our own.

And I mean no offense, but documentaries are not education. They are entertainment and marketing. That's why they can win Oscars :wink:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've seen folks basically jump right on any mention of cleansing like it's a total joke, or just a really, really bad idea. It seems to make sense to me that it could improve health and certainly can't hurt. I get that CICO = weight loss, period. But why shut someone down who wants to do CICO + cleansing or CICO + superfoods, etc. It would still = weight loss. I'm not saying EVERYONE should do these things, but I'd like to hear the case (or be shown the link to this conversation already happened, if you have that available lol), why some MFPers seem to claim NO ONE should bother with this.

Because eating less and moving more is hard, but necessary, to lose weight, and the last thing you want to do when you have to do hard and necessary things, is to add unnecessary hard things.
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay hydrated, your body cleanses itself...unless you have a medical problem.