Getting fit with an injury!

Options
Ok so a little about myself.

I'm 51 and I used to be, oh those were the days, really into the health and fitness lifestyle. At 6ft 2" I used to weigh between 205 - 210 lbs and fluctuated between 14-16% body fat; now I'm unhappy 224lbs and around 35% body fat! :(

At 45 I could still pass the British Army fitness tests, with my results falling into the younger age ranges, and that was even as a smoker....

Fast forward a few years and I'm suffering from COPD, oh the joys of smoking, a lower lumbar injury from my early twenties as well as arthritis in both shoulders and left rotator cuff problems; from a bike crash two years ago. Let's face it if I was a horse.....

So the aforementioned bike crash was two years ago and I hobbled away with a broken leg, soft tissue damage to both wrists and shoulders; it kind of put paid to my fitness hobbies.

Anyhoo fast forward two years and, although I'm still undergoing physio, I've just restarted on the fitness trail and yes I still ride my motorbike!

Working with the physio-terrorist's input I've put together a light regime that should help establish a base for this old fart to build on. Nothing fancy and it's something that three years ago I would have scoffed at; oh how the mighty have fallen!

So I finally get to the point of this post.

Are there any people out there that are also trying to fight their way back to a decent level of fitness?

What injuries are you suffering/recovering from and what are your strategies?

I'd be really interested in helping others achieve their goals as well as receiving support from like minded people.

Replies

• kittens2cute
    kittens2cute Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I fought back from having both lower leg bones broken. Had a plate and 8 screws in there. Used to do nothing but walking at first, then started running about 4 years ago. Never been a runner before but I am now. I got the hardware taken out about 2 years ago and was back to running within about 4 months. I've never been a sitter, so I was just determined to get going and keep going. I think if I stop, it'll be for good...add me if you want! I'm definitely not perfect in my diet (I have 2 kids and a busy schedule) but I do my best!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I broke one leg when I was three and the other when I was twenty-five. The first was a catastrophic break that permanently twisted my spine. The second, milder break was accompanied by a car accident (not my fault) that left me with whiplash and a reverse neck curve.

I was overweight for a long time until I started running. Then I did MMA for the fun and the resistance training.

I can't do those things anymore. Days like today, when it's beautiful and ideal for running, kill me a little bit inside.

However, I am still managing to be fit. I bought a FitDesk (about $250; it's a computer desk attached to a recumbent bike) and I use it daily. I plank between 2 and five minutes every day and do all the exercises my spine doctor recommends. I am maintaining my weight loss (still losing slowly), but I never thought that being unable to do simple pushups and situps would ever make me so depressed.

Fortunately I'm twenty-seven and the doctor I'm going to may be able to fix the damage enough so I can run again. Until then, a-biking I shall go.
  • Biker_Dave
    Biker_Dave Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your injuries. BUT........ A FitDesk?? Brilliant! Now I've possibly heard of everything! :smiley:

Goes to show that where there's a will there's a way.

Congrats on the weight loss to date and I wish you all the best going forward! I'll defo be watching this space! :smile:

• lmunik
    lmunik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Total get it. Theres nonway to proceed but to go forward. Sometimes its slow with setbacks-injuries but stay with it-you will make it!
  • Biker_Dave
    Biker_Dave Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tis a bugger but one battles on! Thanks for the support there Imunik. :)
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 50. Four years ago I ran a 5K but the pain sent me to the Dr. who discovered a deteriorated disc. That was followed by an injury to my hand with accompanying medications, fatty liver diagnosis, foot surgery, seasonal allergies which lasted months and pneumonia (3 times) and 30 extra lbs. Some days I feel like I am falling apart but although I can't walk 10 to 12 miles a day any longer (now I can only walk one without pain) I am lifting weights (avoiding any strain on my back), doing keto and intermittent fasting. I can understand the grieving over not being able to run or participate in the sports I used to, but I am focusing on what I can do.