Broke my DL form.. Ouch

Options
At around 128-130 lbs and I did a new PR yesterday, 95 kg (209) lbs (been lifting for 10 months now so I'm proud) But during the lift I broke my form for a second and now my lower back is hurting like a kitten.

Anyone have any magical solution to that? Or do I just take a few day recovery and wait it out?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it is muscular and therefore rest will mean a fast recovery. If it is a disc issue you may have problems for quite a while. Only time (or an MRI scan) will tell.

My advice is - Rest completely for a day or two, refrain from DLs and any load bearing lifts (overhead press, squats etc) until completely pain free.

fingers crossed for you.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Cheers.. I hope it's muscles to but I fear it's a disc issue.. been going on for years but manageable with right forms and body posture. I feel it if I do something wrong like yesterday and then a numbing sensation down the legs follows so.. I'm gonna have to get it checked out before I progress any further :(
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    I've suffered form lower back disc problems also and had a minor twinge about this time last year.

After a 1 week break from exercise (other than walking) I was back in the gym but for the next three weeks I:
    • Swapped DLs for roman chair extensions
    • Swapped military presses for seated DB presses
    • Swapped squats for leg presses and extensions
    • Added a *kitten* tonne of gentle core and Pilates type moves

After that I brought the presses, DLs, and squats back in but at a reduced weight (although I was able to ramp it back up quickly).
  • Jm172017
    Jm172017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'll preface by first saying in a physical therapist.

You most likely have a disc issue. Congrats on the PR, but you would be well served going to see a PT. Avoid any kind of lumbar flexion activities at this point.

Do not do roman chair extensions, that is way to much force on the discs.

Do not do leg press as it will tend to cause a flexion moment in the lumbar spine.

The 3 exercises with the most evidence behind them are prone press-ups, side plants with impecible form, and a McKenzie curl-up which is a modified version of a crunch. You have to be careful to not go into lumbar flexion with this exercise.

It's difficult to diagnose and treat over the internet, you best bet is to stick with extension based exercises. As the symptoms centralize to one point, you will know you are on the right track. If you don't see progress after 2-3 weeks please go see a PT. The best way to avoid chronic low back pain is to fix acute low back pain quickly and effectively.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    ^^ what I should have said in my 2nd post is that, after 1 week away from exercise, I was pretty sure that my problem was not a re-occurrence of my disc injury - it didn't feel the same.

So, my return to exercise was based on that assumption.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm seeing a doc tomorrow and hopefully we can figure this out. I do hope it's just a pinched nerve or something :S
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'll preface by first saying in a physical therapist.

You most likely have a disc issue. Congrats on the PR, but you would be well served going to see a PT. Avoid any kind of lumbar flexion activities at this point.

Do not do roman chair extensions, that is way to much force on the discs.

Do not do leg press as it will tend to cause a flexion moment in the lumbar spine.

The 3 exercises with the most evidence behind them are prone press-ups, side plants with impecible form, and a McKenzie curl-up which is a modified version of a crunch. You have to be careful to not go into lumbar flexion with this exercise.

It's difficult to diagnose and treat over the internet, you best bet is to stick with extension based exercises. As the symptoms centralize to one point, you will know you are on the right track. If you don't see progress after 2-3 weeks please go see a PT. The best way to avoid chronic low back pain is to fix acute low back pain quickly and effectively.

Sorry to threadjack, but may I ask what happens after this? I herniated a disc (L5 S1) deadlifting; my pain centralized to one point, but it is there daily no matter what I do. Does the "right track" lead to less/no pain eventually because I'm about sick of this crap.
  • Jm172017
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'm seeing a doc tomorrow and hopefully we can figure this out. I do hope it's just a pinched nerve or something :S

The disc itself or the gel within the disc itself may be pinching the nerve, but likely just the disc. The disc can and will move back toward where it should be with corrective exercises. From the sounds of it and with your current health you should have a pretty good prognosis with conservative measures. Good luck!
  • Jm172017
    edited February 2017
    Options
    _dracarts_: there are a few things to consider at this point.

How long have you had the pain and what kind of measure have to taken to treat it?

You could have a consequential facet dysfunction or active trigger point after an injury like that which would need to be. You could also be constantly reagrevating it each day if you have some imbalances or motor pattern dysfunctions. It's also possible that your brain adapted to the pain as the new normal and you could use some neurological re-education to decrease the pain signal.

There are always options with low back pain, but it can certainly get better even if you had the same problem for years.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Take it from a guy with a bulging disc between L4 and L5, you gotta hope it is muscular and not skeletal. If you get pain in your thigh, glutes, or calves, get to a doc asap.

ETA: let is know what the doc says. The doc will prob order an MRI. Hopefully give you a cortisone and tordol shot for the pain.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    _dracarts_: there are a few things to consider at this point.

How long have you had the pain and what kind of measure have to taken to treat it?

You could have a consequential facet dysfunction or active trigger point after an injury like that which would need to be. You could also be constantly reagrevating it each day if you have some imbalances or motor pattern dysfunctions. It's also possible that your brain adapted to the pain as the new normal and you could use some neurological re-education to decrease the pain signal.

There are always options with low back pain, but it can certainly get better even if you had the same problem for years.

I'll message you; I don't want to continue hijacking this thread.