Scale Question

Options
This is probably a dumb question, but I weighed this morning and lost almost 3 pounds even though I've overate consistently for like, the past week.

However, I weighed my son right after and it weighed him accurately. Does this mean my weigh in is accurate as well?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's possible.

What do you have MFP set to for weightloss per week and what goal does it give you?
    How much over did you go?
    Are you logging exercise?
    Are you sure you selected the right activity level?

Just being over MFP's goal doesn't mean you ate enough to maintain your weight.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It's possible.

What do you have MFP set to for weightloss per week and what goal does it give you?
    How much over did you go?
    Are you logging exercise?
    Are you sure you selected the right activity level?

I have it set to 2 pounds a week and I don't know the original goal amount I was given because I've tweaked it a bit.
    I lost the weight over a 9 day period though, and I just got off my period within the last 10 days or so, so maybe that impacted the drop as well.
    I didn't even log for the last week, I just know I went over a good amount.
    I normally log exercise as "1 calorie burned" so that it doesn't impact my calorie goal too much, but I did do quite a bit of walking a few of the days I overate because I went shopping.
    I selected sedentary because I work in a call center and sit at a desk the majority of my work days.

• shadow2soul
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The loss was probably water retention from TOM.

However, what goal do you have?

I sometimes feel I way overate only to log it and realize I didn't (of course there are times when I really do too). However if you don't log you don't really know how bad (or not) those days were.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    3 pounds since when? When it happens very quickly (in either direction) it's most likely due to water but it's also possible that you are showing delayed losses from the last week or two...love those whooshes!
  • bd0027
    Options

It's set to 1,500 right now.
    ogtmama wrote: »
    3 pounds since when? When it happens very quickly (in either direction) it's most likely due to water but it's also possible that you are showing delayed losses from the last week or two...love those whooshes!

It's been over a 9 day period. So should I count it as a loss?
  • bd0027
    Options

I sometimes feel I way overate only to log it and realize I didn't (of course there are times when I really do too). However if you don't log you don't really know how bad (or not) those days were.

So should I take it as a loss? I've always felt like my scale is pretty accurate, I just wasn't expecting to see a drop.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    bd0027 wrote: »

So should I take it as a loss? I've always felt like my scale is pretty accurate, I just wasn't expecting to see a drop.

Even if it's mostly water weight, I would take it.

The thing is that you will see the scale go up a bit around the start of TOM and drop back down afterwards. However it will still show a downward trend if you track it.

~I track my weight daily. Highs and lows. I then look at trend graph of these weigh ins to see how I'm doing. Right now my trend weight is going down 0.1 lb per week (it's based on the past 20 days). ~
  • bd0027
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bd0027 wrote: »

Even if it's mostly water weight, I would take it.

The thing is that you will see the scale go up a bit around the start of TOM and drop back down afterwards. However it will still show a downward trend if you track it.

~I track my weight daily. Highs and lows. I then look at trend graph of these weigh ins to see how I'm doing. Right now my trend weight is going down 0.1 lb per week (it's based on the past 20 days). ~

I marked it as a loss. Normally once I lose the weight, it doesn't really bounce back up as long as I weigh in consistently as soon as I wake up. I also had a bowel movement yesterday after being constipated for a while. Maybe that helped too?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    How do you know it weighed your son "accurately"? Everyone's weight fluctuates.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Overeating can sometimes lead to the body dumping more than normal. There is probably nothing wrong with the scale but your current result will tell you nothing about fat loss. All it will tell you is that the weight of the food you are consuming is less than the weight of the food leaving your system.
  • bd0027
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    How do you know it weighed your son "accurately"? Everyone's weight fluctuates.

My son weighed 32.1 at the doctors office and weighed 32.4 on my scale, so it was pretty close.