150 or more pounds to lose.

Options
Hello Everyone, On a Journey to lose 150 pounds(at least). I'm 50 years and having a tuff time staying on track. My biggest problem is bread, pasta, pizza, stuff like that. I don't care about cake, candy, ice cream, I don't eat it. As of right now, I really I don't want to do any surgery, but I do understand I might have no choice. Does anyone need or has lost at least 150 without surgery. I follow this woman Rhonda on Facebook, her page is Living instead of existing. She lost over 200 pounds without surgery and looks amazing. I would appreciate any feed back. Have a great day :)

Replies

• bhwalsh1
    bhwalsh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Dona, I've never had to lose that amount of weight but I have been in the competitive side of swimming my whole life. After I gave it up I put on a lot of weight pretty quickly with my appetite staying the same but my calorie intake far exceeding my needs. After getting back into the pool I started to lose weight almost immediately. I highly highly recommend you jump into a pool and try swim some laps every single day. It will be hard and tiring at 1st but I guarantee 100% if you do at least 30 minutes of swimming every single day you will see HUGE results on honestly a weekly basis. Keep in mind that I was in the top 50 in the world at 1 stage in my career but I went from 208-192 in the matter of 1 month training 20 hours a week.... I know that's the far end of the spectrum but It's harder to lose pounds at lighter weights! I know you can lose all that 150 WITHOUT surgery if you're consistently swimming! Just my opinion. :)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Hi! My biggest problem area is sugar, sweets of any kind really. For me, the best way to combat it was to go cold turkey off of it. I still have fruit but no other sugars (processed kinds). We also went off all of those white carbs...it's hard the first couple of days but then not so hard. I find that not having bread, pasta, rice in my diet makes my calories stretch way further and I feel like I can eat more quantity. We started 1/1...if I have a craving I will have a small amount...have had a few dove chocolates here and there but that's it.

My daughter is doing this with me...she has over 100 lbs to lose and has so far lost 55 since last summer. It is not easy for sure, but it is doable!

I think living instead of existing is exactly the right "why"...the ability to actively participate in life instead of watching it go by is the best!

Good luck on your journey!
  • bhwalsh1
    Options
    Something that you can also do to help you lose weight without even doing anything is replacing ALL and I mean ALL your fluid intake with water/milk/tea&coffee. Eat your calories don't drink them!
  • bhwalsh1
    Options
    Also if you want to lose as much as you can by doing less, it is miniscual but it's still a little, drink either hot or cold beverages. Your body will have to either heat the liquid or cool it to 96.2F to make any use of it.

"So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant."

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm
  • Dona6569
    Dona6569 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank You so much everyone for your input. I drink at least a gallon of water a day. I gave up soda in 1980 for Lent and never went back. I don't drink anything but that. I never had to lose this much weight. I'm 5'6 and back in the day I was 155. I gained weight over the last 14 years. Thank God I have a wonderful husband who loves me for me. I know I really should give up all Carbs. Right now I'm doing slim fast in the morning, Quest bar for lunch and dinner a veggie burger and vegetables. I want to stay at 1,200 calories. I can't walk that much right now. So I do what I can. Again Thank You all so Much! I wish everyone success in there weight loss journey. Feel free to add me.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1200 calories? A big emphatic NO! Use the recommended calories that MFP gave when you fill out your profile (probably 1800'ish for a 2 lb per week loss). What you're currently doing is not sustainable. Remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you can't lose the weight overnight, no matter how hard we wish it.

Will you be able to eat like that for a year or so, because that's how long it will take to lose the weight in a SAFE and HEALTHY manner!
  • Dona6569
    Options
    Thank You Alfane, I try to stay at that, but do go over. MFP does tell me I'm under. My friend does 2200, but she works out. I would rather lose the 1 or 2 a week, so I can keep it off. Have to get the Carbs under control, my biggest problem. I'm hoping over the next 2 years I can have this weight off.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is low carb going to be a lifestyle change though? If you have medical reasons for moderating your carbs....that's extra incentive for eating lower carb for a life time. Some people need lower carb.

I've done both elimination diets (low carb) and replacement diets (Slim Fast) in the past....and lost weight. BUT these plans are lousy for maintenance unless you can commit to them for the rest of your life.

Losing weight should help you figure out what habits make you overweight now, and help you develop better habits for the future. Losing weight is just the FIRST step.

These are great posts for newbies....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    aflane wrote: »
    1200 calories? A big emphatic NO! Use the recommended calories that MFP gave when you fill out your profile (probably 1800'ish for a 2 lb per week loss). What you're currently doing is not sustainable. Remember, you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you can't lose the weight overnight, no matter how hard we wish it.

Will you be able to eat like that for a year or so, because that's how long it will take to lose the weight in a SAFE and HEALTHY manner!

^^This. And forget about giving up carbs unless there is a medical reason to.

I was 330 (I'm a guy) and down to 260 with more to lose. I log everything I eat but eat pretty much the same things I always did, just less of them.

Put you stats into MFP and follow what it tells you. You can go aggressive and do 2 lbs per week loss, or start slower at 1 lb until you get used to things. Under eating (and 1200 cals for your weight is under eating) is harmful to your health.

Also, if you can, start doing some exercising. And by that, I mean go for a walk. Nothing that will hurt you or be hard on your knees or back, but just get out and move.

It took you 14 years to gain it, it's going to take at least a couple years to lose it
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Don't look at what your friend is doing... she's not you. Only watch yourself.

As to getting carbs under control, okay... it can't hurt. But that doesn't mean eliminate ALL carbs... control them. The way you do that is by getting a digital food scale, then weighing and logging everything you eat. I'm also a bread junkie. I still eat bread (occasionally), pasta (weekly) and pizza (once a month), but in moderation -- and I log it.

So can you.
  • Dona6569
    Options
    I mean unhealthy carbs. Yes for sure it's going to take a few years to lose the weight. I want to do it slow, so I keep it off. Thank You again for your comments and input. I really appreciate it.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    aflane wrote: »
    Don't look at what your friend is doing... she's not you. Only watch yourself.

As to getting carbs under control, okay... it can't hurt. But that doesn't mean eliminate ALL carbs... control them. The way you do that is by getting a digital food scale, then weighing and logging everything you eat. I'm also a bread junkie. I still eat bread (occasionally), pasta (weekly) and pizza (once a month), but in moderation -- and I log it.

So can you.

This^

Control the things you need to control right now. If you can't have chips in the house....then don't. But that shouldn't mean you can't have a slice of pizza or a sandwich once in awhile.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As someone who has needs to lose about as much as you, I have found that I needed to eliminate all bad foods at first. I couldn't control myself to eat just a slice of pizza. I have started reintroducing foods now that I am in a better mindset and I feel like I can control myself better but I still avoid certain foods or habits that I know I cant control yet. I have not felt deprived, hunger/cravings really only lasted a week or so, and most foods I used to eat, I don't even have a desire to reintroduce. I am also working with a dietitian who gave me a ton of helpful information on how to control my habits. I am just over 2 months in a down 40lbs. I focus on my proteins and avoid carbs where reasonable.

For my food choices, I keep it as easy as possible. I found I gave up before because I made things too complicated. Now it takes me 10min in the morning to pack my breakfast and lunch and less than 10min when i get home to cook dinner. Making things "quick and easy" at first has helped. Again, as I gain more control over myself and my relationship with food, I can expand my options.
  • Dona6569
    Options
    Hi TeaBea, I don't grave chips, candy, cake, ice cream, non of that. Don't like it. I have to control the pizza, pasta, bread, stuff like that.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Dona6569 wrote: »
    I mean unhealthy carbs. Yes for sure it's going to take a few years to lose the weight. I want to do it slow, so I keep it off. Thank You again for your comments and input. I really appreciate it.

They are only "unhealthy" carbs if you have medical issues (despite all the click-bait you see on the internet). Demonizing foods isn't helpful long term. Carbs can be part of a healthy diet.

180 degree changes on one's diet are often temporary. Weight maintenance will be permanent. It's heartbreaking to lose all the weight only to re-gain it again (been there done that).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Dona6569 wrote: »
    Hi TeaBea, I don't grave chips, candy, cake, ice cream, non of that. Don't like it. I have to control the pizza, pasta, bread, stuff like that.

Chips was a big one for me. I'd eat a family sized bag in a couple of sittings, or one if the football game was engrossing. But I know that if I didn't have any I'd just drive to the store to get some so I bought a box of single sized (~30g) one and I know I can eat one if I like without doing my diet damage. That is working for me. On the other hand, I've cut pop (soda) out completely and only drink diet if I'm mixing it with something (don't really like the taste). I drink a lot more soda water now (have a soda stream).

So, yeah. You need to figure out for yourself if you need to cut something out or just cut down. Just please do it based on how you feel and not on what some website says is the "key" to weight loss. And remember that what works for you is different than what works for others.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I needed to lose 135 to get to a healthy weight, but it was probably closer to 150 to where I would like to be. I'm currently down 50 and am sure I can get the rest of the way without medical intervention. I eat everything I like, including pizza. I have eaten 1/2 to 3/4 of a large pizza every week since I started. It's sort of my weekly sanity tradition. I just make a little room here and there through the rest of the week.

If you want to eliminate certain foods you have developed bad habits around I understand that. I'm not sure if it works over the long run, but over a short period it can change your habits. My first month I didn't eat sweets or bread. I've gradually worked them back in and have some control now. I can eat one slice of sourdough or a snack pack of cookies. Funny enough I have zero interest in eating Pop Tarts or ice cream, which used to be a huge problem for me. Once they were gone for a month I stopped missing them.

I also recommend getting in some activity. You get a lot more budget to work with. I did the 1200 thing for awhile, lost 3 pounds a week, but it got old real fast. Now with exercising 6 days a week I eat about 1700 calories a day and lose 2 pounds a week. At 1700 I really feel like nothing is off limits. I'm just looking at my diary at the end of the day and deciding if I can squeeze in another piece of chocolate.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So I have about the same amount as you to lose. I am at 1800 calories/day and lose. So far 30 pounds. It's been slow but I haven't been perfect. I am making changes that I can live with. I am not overly active. I hope to be but right now - not so much. I just think you are restricting yourself too much and in the end will give up. (speaking from previous experience!) If you set your profile up correctly - use the calorie goal mfp gave you. Anyway - good luck to you. If you want to add me as a friend - I would love to cheer you on!
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I also have 150lb plus to lose. I once lost 133lb without surgery but I found all 133lb again plus some new ones.
    There is an MFP group on here for those wanting to lose over 100lb without surgery.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115768-losing-100-pounds-naturally-no-surgery

When I lost the 133lb in past it took 9 months. I did it by joining food addicts in recovery anonymouse and following the program given to me by my sponsor. It felt a lot like being in a cult to be honest, very strict and a lot of talking about God even though in theory it is meant to be accessable regardless of if you believe in any God or not. There was no sugar, flour , processed foods or alcohol allowed at all ever. My food plan given to me by my sponor worked out as 1200-1400 calories per day depending on choices of fruit,veg and meat selected etc so naturally I lost weight fast on that. Unfortunately the plan was not remotely flexable and everyone in group by default suffers from an eating disorder so there are no rational voices of reason to be found. Magority of members in my local group came from anorexia, buliemia background and were intent on being skinny. They insisted I aim for lowest end of my weight range and eat low calorie until I reached that target. Had I reached that target I would have been allowed rice and potatoe. As was I stuck to it for 9 months and lost 133lb very fast and became an emotional wreck in process which promted my sponsor to stop working with me because my crying all the time was stressing her out. I then left and gradually gained all the weight back over the following 3 years in which a series of traumas occured in my life including a divorce, death of family member and being raped. Possibly had my life not been a disaster zone I may have maintained the weight loss.