Would you be concerned?

Options
I can't see what I do from other's point of view so I was wondering if people could give me insight. Most people in my family are concerned, but also healthy eating doesn't run strong in the family (there's constant lose weight schemes that ultimately end in failure for multiple reasons and everyone except me has settled into a lifestyle that keeps them overweight or obese) so I think they might be overreacting.

Anyway, I'm 21 (female), 5'4 (about 163 cm), and very petite. I have a small bone structure (I've checked) and have always hovered at or slightly below the underweight marker for BMI. As reference, my highest weight was 110 lbs and that was my 'chubby' stage of puberty. Within a year I was back down closer to 105 without doing anything. I've always been picky and vegetarian. It's always easier to name the foods I do eat rather then those I don't. I'm always fairly active (have 2 dogs and a horse and walk about an hour or so most days). When I started counting on here (to make sure I got enough) I found out I eat roughly 1300-1600 calories a day (of course there are a few days I go under or over that, but those are more rare, especially going under). My weight fluctuates (as is normal) but typically stays in the maintaining range of 103ish. I don't feel bad (no fatigue, muscle weakness, dizziness, etc) and have no problem with doing my daily activities and the exercise I usually do. Like I said, I have a small frame and I think it's fine. I use MFP simply as a way to monitor and make sure I'm not under eating like everyone seems to think I am. My doctors don't say anything about it (and all blood work I've had is fine). Opinions? Please, no rude comments.

Replies

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I was like you around that age - I'm 5'5 and was 105 in high school, and 111 in college (I'm also small-framed and very picky - except when it comes to booze, which was my downfall :'( ). My BMI put me on the border of underweight, but I didn't look underweight. My doctor was happy with my weight and my yearly check-up results, and I felt great at that range.

If you're healthy and happy, your doctor isn't raising any red flags, then I personally wouldn't be concerned. You could try talking to them more about your weight/medical results/habits, but from what it sounds like they may just be "concerned" because you're on the leaner side while they're the opposite.

• vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are fine! If you eat enough calories, feel good, and are not in the underweight category don't worry!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The only thing I see in here that points to anything is saying your family is concerned - about what exactly (what makes them say you're under eating)? Is it just because you are thin and maybe they're feeling insecure since they aren't? or did they notice something like obsessively working out, "bad" foods or obsessive behaviors/anxiety centered around eating, weight loss when you're already in the underweight category.
    If there is valid reason to be concerned, see your doctor and discuss. If it's because they're insecure then accept it for what it is and move on - some people have trouble accepting their lifestyle isn't healthy, but as long as you are healthy I don't see a problem... Using MFP isn't a red flag unless you are using it to under eat.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    You sound fine. You're happy and healthy :-) Perhaps they see themselves as "normal" and anything smaller is unhealthy. At my biggest, I didn't think I was that big, but looking back, I totally was.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If your post is accurate then it sounds fine to me because:

1. you are getting regular checkups and your doctor isn't worried
    2. you have energy and feel fine

I hope you are being honest about your intake and not just looking for validation of unhealthy behavior. I say that only because it strikes me as odd that someone would join a site like this when they aren't trying to lose or gain weight and don't seem to be working on a fitness goal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    vkdarling wrote: »
    Sounds like you are fine! If you eat enough calories, feel good, and are not in the underweight category don't worry!

Actually 103 is slightly underweight at 5'4". Only a little though.
  • horsesdontjudge
    horsesdontjudge Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hope you are being honest about your intake and not just looking for validation of unhealthy behavior. I say that only because it strikes me as odd that someone would join a site like this when they aren't trying to lose or gain weight and don't seem to be working on a fitness goal.

That's what most people's reactions are. I hope to work on toning more eventually, but right now it's just looking at eating enough. In order to tone I would need more support and guidance that I don't have currently (and can't get because of my family's concern for my slight frame)
  • horsesdontjudge
    Options
    The only thing I see in here that points to anything is saying your family is concerned - about what exactly (what makes them say you're under eating)? Is it just because you are thin and maybe they're feeling insecure since they aren't? or did they notice something like obsessively working out, "bad" foods or obsessive behaviors/anxiety centered around eating, weight loss when you're already in the underweight category.
    If there is valid reason to be concerned, see your doctor and discuss. If it's because they're insecure then accept it for what it is and move on - some people have trouble accepting their lifestyle isn't healthy, but as long as you are healthy I don't see a problem... Using MFP isn't a red flag unless you are using it to under eat.

They think I under eat because if I eat a luna bar it 'doesn't count' and neither do chips/cookies. Also, they only see what I eat at home (I'm a student and often eat lunch at school during the week) or around them. They never believe I eat when they aren't around (I don't know why). I did lose a few lbs (by accident) due to a depressive episode like 6-8 months ago, but have since gained them back
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    More information = good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

They think I under eat because if I eat a luna bar it 'doesn't count' and neither do chips/cookies. Also, they only see what I eat at home (I'm a student and often eat lunch at school during the week) or around them. They never believe I eat when they aren't around (I don't know why). I did lose a few lbs (by accident) due to a depressive episode like 6-8 months ago, but have since gained them back

So are they worried that you don't eat enough calories or that you aren't getting proper nutrition? I'm wondering why they think bars, chips and cookies don't count. That sounds more like they are worried that you aren't eating enough nutrients rather than calories.

Also, I must say your posts would worry me a bit if I were your mother (which I'm more than old enough to be). "lost accidentally because of depression' 'need to make sure I eat enough' Those are things that would worry me as a parent.
  • horsesdontjudge
    Options
    More information = good.

Happy to provide it if you ask what info you'd like
  • horsesdontjudge
    Options

So are they worried that you don't eat enough calories or that you aren't getting proper nutrition? I'm wondering why they think bars, chips and cookies don't count. That sounds more like they are worried that you aren't eating enough nutrients rather than calories.

Also, I must say your posts would worry me a bit if I were your mother (which I'm more than old enough to be). "lost accidentally because of depression' 'need to make sure I eat enough' Those are things that would worry me as a parent.

Both, really. I think they don't count them because they 'aren't food' in their opinions, I'm not really following the logic on that.

Maybe I wasn't clear about some of that. When I said 'lost accidentally because of depression' I mean I lost it because I got very depressed. Yes, I was under eating, but it was because I was clinically depressed and not in a good spot mentally at all. My parents do know about that and, once I started feeling better I was able to gain the weight back. The needing to make sure I eat enough part is because, if I don't pay attention to my food, I can easily go all day without eating. I just don't get hungry. I've been like that my whole life. The first time I was acutely aware of it was when I was 8/9 and without realizing it I had 2 pieces of toast all day. So I'm extra careful about making sure I eat
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Put their minds at ease - show them the data and what you've learned from MFP. Your family is likely concerned and reacting due to the volume of misinformation out there.

Sounds like you are a normal healthy active person who is doing just fine.

I can relate - I hit my growth spurt later in life at 17 and grew 6 inches in two years. I went from 5'10 140 lbs to 6'4" 145, but healthy and active - I even had an athletic scholarship for biathlon. When I went to college I started lifting and grew out over time. My body just needed time to adjust.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I can't see what I do from other's point of view so I was wondering if people could give me insight. Most people in my family are concerned, but also healthy eating doesn't run strong in the family (there's constant lose weight schemes that ultimately end in failure for multiple reasons and everyone except me has settled into a lifestyle that keeps them overweight or obese) so I think they might be overreacting.

Anyway, I'm 21 (female), 5'4 (about 163 cm), and very petite. I have a small bone structure (I've checked) and have always hovered at or slightly below the underweight marker for BMI. As reference, my highest weight was 110 lbs and that was my 'chubby' stage of puberty. Within a year I was back down closer to 105 without doing anything. I've always been picky and vegetarian. It's always easier to name the foods I do eat rather then those I don't. I'm always fairly active (have 2 dogs and a horse and walk about an hour or so most days). When I started counting on here (to make sure I got enough) I found out I eat roughly 1300-1600 calories a day (of course there are a few days I go under or over that, but those are more rare, especially going under). My weight fluctuates (as is normal) but typically stays in the maintaining range of 103ish. I don't feel bad (no fatigue, muscle weakness, dizziness, etc) and have no problem with doing my daily activities and the exercise I usually do. Like I said, I have a small frame and I think it's fine. I use MFP simply as a way to monitor and make sure I'm not under eating like everyone seems to think I am. My doctors don't say anything about it (and all blood work I've had is fine). Opinions? Please, no rude comments.

Since you ask, yes, I would be concerned if a member of my family considered herself to be "chubby" when she was underweight. I'd be concerned if someone I cared about continued on a downward weight trend from an underweight starting point (110 to 105 to 103ish to "losing a few lbs (by accident)" for whatever reason). I'd be concerned by a 21-year-old with a fairly active life who was using a calorie-counting site to make sure she's "getting enough" but uses it to stay in a range of 1300-1600 calories, which allows her to maintain an underweight weight range. I'd be concerned about how often it might be 1300, as opposed to 1600.

You're a total stranger to me, and I'm concerned.
  • horsesdontjudge
    Options

Since you ask, yes, I would be concerned if a member of my family considered herself to be "chubby" when she was underweight. I'd be concerned if someone I cared about continued on a downward weight trend from an underweight starting point (110 to 105 to 103ish to "losing a few lbs (by accident)" for whatever reason). I'd be concerned by a 21-year-old with a fairly active life who was using a calorie-counting site to make sure she's "getting enough" but uses it to stay in a range of 1300-1600 calories, which allows her to maintain an underweight weight range. I'd be concerned about how often it might be 1300, as opposed to 1600.

Thank you. I'm not purposely staying in the range of 1300-1600, that's just what it averages out to. How much should I be eating instead then? Also, how can I increase my calories without just eating a lot of cake/cupcakes/sweets? I'm not a big fan of nuts (except peanuts).
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm not purposely staying in the range of 1300-1600, that's just what it averages out to. How much should I be eating instead then? Also, how can I increase my calories without just eating a lot of cake/cupcakes/sweets? I'm not a big fan of nuts (except peanuts).

You mentioned you are a picky vegan eater, so what do you normally eat? Will be easier to advice you if you gave some info of what you do it, as you say that list is smaller than what you do not eat.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you and your doctor says you are healthy, then that should be enough. Everyone's body is different, and they need different things. I could not subsist on the diet you have, and you'd likely find mine disgusting. But our calories are about the same.

Since I don't know what you look like I can't comment on if I'd be concerned or not. I know scale weights don't mean much. What is considered medically healthy BMI for me is underweight. For you it might be overweight. BMI is based on averages, and bad ones at that.

If you're looking for vegan friendly calorie boosters, I recommend dried fruits such as raisins and apricots.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

With regard to how much you should be eating, you need to determine your goal. You said in your OP that you're here counting calories to make sure you get enough, but you can't really define "enough" outside of a goal like "to maintain current weight" (which is 103, or not? -- I feel like you've kind of skirted around that) or "to attain a weight that is healthy, not underweight, such as 108 lbs (which gets you to a BMI of 18.5) and maintain that."

Once you decide on a goal of that sort, then you can use MFP's guided set-up to determine your calorie goals. (Unless you decide you want to gain 10 lbs or more, I would just tell MFP that your current weight is whatever weight you want to reach and maintain, and your goal is maintenance. That will give you a smaller surplus to reach that goal weight over a longer time, which will probably be easier for you than being faced with an extra 250 or 500 calories a day to reach your goal in just a few wees, since you seem to view eating any more calories as a challenge.)

From the results I've gotten plugging numbers into a calorie goal calculator based on my understanding of your situation, I'd say stick to 1500 to 1600 daily calories (not 1300 to 1400) as a base and eat back at least 50% of the exercise calories MFP gives you when you log your exercise. But no matter what calorie goal you choose to start, you need to monitor your results and add more calories if you find yourself losing weight over the course of a month, and cut back on calories if you find yourself gaining weight beyond your goal over the course of a month.

As for what you should eat to increase your calories, peanuts and peanut butter would be a great choice. Avocado, olives, olive and other plant-based oils, flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut cream, bananas, whole grains, legumes are among the more calorie-dense options available to vegans.
  • horsesdontjudge
    Options

With regard to how much you should be eating, you need to determine your goal. You said in your OP that you're here counting calories to make sure you get enough, but you can't really define "enough" outside of a goal like "to maintain current weight" (which is 103, or not? -- I feel like you've kind of skirted around that) or "to attain a weight that is healthy, not underweight, such as 108 lbs (which gets you to a BMI of 18.5) and maintain that."

Once you decide on a goal of that sort, then you can use MFP's guided set-up to determine your calorie goals. (Unless you decide you want to gain 10 lbs or more, I would just tell MFP that your current weight is whatever weight you want to reach and maintain, and your goal is maintenance. That will give you a smaller surplus to reach that goal weight over a longer time, which will probably be easier for you than being faced with an extra 250 or 500 calories a day to reach your goal in just a few wees, since you seem to view eating any more calories as a challenge.)

From the results I've gotten plugging numbers into a calorie goal calculator based on my understanding of your situation, I'd say stick to 1500 to 1600 daily calories (not 1300 to 1400) as a base and eat back at least 50% of the exercise calories MFP gives you when you log your exercise. But no matter what calorie goal you choose to start, you need to monitor your results and add more calories if you find yourself losing weight over the course of a month, and cut back on calories if you find yourself gaining weight beyond your goal over the course of a month.

As for what you should eat to increase your calories, peanuts and peanut butter would be a great choice. Avocado, olives, olive and other plant-based oils, flax seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut cream, bananas, whole grains, legumes are among the more calorie-dense options available to vegans.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I'll do that