5 lbs by August 1

Options
11 days with a 5 lb goal.

Who's in?

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I'll try. Haha. Probably a bad idea but hey, it's a goal right?
  • susiemac64
    Options
    me! 5 lbs would be fantastic! Just signed up yesterday, doing well tracking exercise, but not food-
  • livingnow28
    livingnow28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • ivygirl328
    ivygirl328 Posts: 121
    Options
    Count me in!
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm in...this should be fun.:bigsmile:
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I will try! I would love to do it!
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'm in :) Lost 5 pounds my first week of tracking. I don't know how!
  • raydeb
    raydeb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im in lost 5 last week it may be hard but will up the cardo..
  • caseyla12
    caseyla12 Posts: 8
    Options
    I could use a goal/motive; I'm in! :smile:
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options
    lol ill try :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hell yea, I'm in!
  • mi_mom
    mi_mom Posts: 1
    Options
    I'll try!
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    I've found small goals are a good way for me to stay motivated! So that's why I've posted this one here. 11 days is tough for 5 lbs sure...but I think if we push ourselves, then even if it's only a few pounds...that's closer to where we want to be!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in 11 days is just over 3 lbs per week, not normally considered a healthy weight loss, please be aware that this is not something we would normally promote with MyFitnessPal.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • gemma247
    gemma247 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i am definetly inn :) xx
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    5 lbs in 11 days is just over 3 lbs per week, not normally considered a healthy weight loss, please be aware that this is not something we would normally promote with MyFitnessPal.

I thought about that and wasn't sure. Dream big and let the cards fall.

(I will definitely take that into consideration for next time though!)
  • joanna2808
    Options
    I just found My Fitness Pal and joined tonight.
    I LOVE a challenge! So count me in!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I thought about that and wasn't sure. Dream big and let the cards fall.

(I will definitely take that into consideration for next time though!)

please know, it's not that I'm trying to discourage you guys from losing weight. I just wanted to make sure you guys know it's both extreme and difficult to achieve this volume of weight loss, and if you do, most likely you'll have a high percentage of muscle mass decrease over a smaller deficit.

What I, and many of the more experience MFP members preach is changing your lifestyle to be healthier. This means mentally, physically, and nutritionally learning what you need to be healthy. Otherwise you're just crash dieting, and the statistics show, people who crash diet fail in the long term (at an 80% clip, which means almost all of you will fail if you're focusing on nothing but a short, fast weight loss).

I walked into weight loss very green, never needing or trying it before. And because I'm a math nerd who's college trained in chemistry, I started out knowing next to nothing of all the myths around weight loss, I started by reading research papers on weight loss, and by the time I started hearing all the myths and nonsense out there, I already knew what you needed to do to lose weight and keep it off, and to become healthy in all aspects. And all that said, really fast, really extreme dieting (above 2 lbs a week sustained), in most cases, is a recipe for failure.

I know we all want it NOW, but that's just not how the body works. You create an overly large deficit and essentially you're changing your body chemistry. That's fine, and it works while you're there, but when life intrudes on this little diet, and you go back to your lifestyle without changing it, all that weight (and body chemistry) comes back with a vengeance.

If you do it slower, give your body more time to adjust to change, change WHAT you eat, and HOW you think about food, and discover what your faults are with food mentally, and you have a much higher chance to succeed long term and not only keep the weight off, but become healthier in general.

sorry for the long reply, but I just wanted to explain why I wrote what I wrote before.

-Banks
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I don't think most of us are expecting to lose all five pounds, but it's kind of like a mini goal to TRY to up our cardio etc.