Never thought I would have this problem

Options
I feel like I have been eating all day just to get me to 1500.
Any suggestions? Larger portions maybe?

Thanks
Sophie

Replies

• k1073
    k1073 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat a few spoonfuls of peanut butter or ice cream. Or hit up a drive-thru.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have been eating all day just to get me to 1500.
    Any suggestions? Larger portions maybe?

Thanks
    Sophie

Sometimes this happens when people get a bit overly restrictive about eating fat free or low fat foods. You might need to add some full fat or reduced fat (instead of fat free) foods back into your diet in order to meet your calorie goals.

Do you think this could be the case? Are you mostly filling up on veggies/fruit which, especially when eaten raw, can make you feel like you are eating all day and not using many calories?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, we can make specific suggestions. A handful of almonds makes a nice snack - fat, protein, fibre.

Otherwise, "eating all day" sounds awesome.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Larger portions could do it. How small are your portions now? Or different foods that are higher calorie. Either will get you to goal while eating less often.
  • cupcakes8kr
    cupcakes8kr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    @annacole94 , I've opened my diary.
  • cupcakes8kr
    Options
    Need2Ecerc1se - portion sized
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Need2Ecerc1se - portion sized

I'm sorry but I don't understand what that means? Do you mean only eating the portions listed as 'serving size' on a package?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your dairy. If you're confident that your logging is correct (and there are some items that look suspicious to me), a way to eat more would be to stop using low fat dairy products (unless these are what you actually prefer) and eat the yolks from your eggs.

But since it looks like some of your entries are more generic (1 slice of bread, 1 banana, etc), I would pay close attention to your results.

Are you losing weight faster than you expect? If you're actually eating more than you think you are, adding calories is only going to make things more confusing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is the solution in your profile name? ;)

There's a very good chance your logging isn't accurate (cups, spoons, servings and suspiciously round numbers).

Are you actually losing weight at the expected rate or faster?
    Remember calorie counting is a tool to achieve a suitable rate of loss rather than an end in itself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Are you losing weight faster than you expect? If you're actually eating more than you think you are, adding calories is only going to make things more confusing.

I may have misunderstood the OP but I didn't think she was looking for more calories. I thought she wanted a way to eat the same calories (1500) without 'eating all day'.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2017
    Options

I may have misunderstood the OP but I didn't think she was looking for more calories. I thought she wanted a way to eat the same calories (1500) without 'eating all day'.

Yeah, I didn't express that very well. What I should have said: adding more calorie-dense foods or increasing portion sizes (so she doesn't feel like she's eating all day) is probably going to make things worse if she's actually eating more than she thinks she is.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

My point and I think the same point Janejellyroll made is that she may be eating all day to actually eat more than 1500 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

My point and I think the same point Janejellyroll made is that she may be eating all day to actually eat more than 1500 calories.

Yes, this is what I was getting at.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sometimes it's hard for me. My appetite seems to wax and wane these days for several reasons. A couple of those reasons are low carbs. Carbs seem to make me very hungry, when I lower them I lose my appetite. Another is anxiety, or stress. Other times it's not very clear why my appetite disappears. What helps me get my calories up is fat. Be it a pat of butter, a handful of mixed nuts, a spoonful of peanut butter, or some other high calorie item. If you like things like protein bars, or granola bars etc.... those are usually good for a couple hundred calories.
  • cupcakes8kr
    Options
    Need2Exerc1se - yes , sorry serving size

sijomial LOL - my husband's nickname for me- I won't go into details. AND I've only lost 1 lb. in 4 weeks

My point and I think the same point Janejellyroll made is that she may be eating all day to actually eat more than 1500 calories. ??? I only want to eat 1500 cal / day and today I feel like I'm making myself eat to reach that point.

• cupcakes8kr
    Options
    sijomial -There's a very good chance your logging isn't accurate (cups, spoons, servings and suspiciously round numbers). I measure everything and pretty sure it's accurate.

janejellyrole (some items that look suspicious to me) would that be the wine & martini's??
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    sijomial -There's a very good chance your logging isn't accurate (cups, spoons, servings and suspiciously round numbers). I measure everything and pretty sure it's accurate.

janejellyrole (some items that look suspicious to me) would that be the wine & martini's??

The "slices" of bread, the unweighed fruits, the tablespoons of condiments -- those are the things that I would question. You have a lot of meats entered by weight, but it doesn't look as if you're weighing other things. So if you're not weighing meat and just entering a value that looks close, those could be misleading as well.

The alcohol actually looks pretty close to what it should be (assuming it's measured properly).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Need2Exerc1se - yes , sorry serving size

You can eat more than the listed serving size if you want. I think maybe the new labeling in the US (not sure where you are) may require more realistic serving sizes but in the past many serving sizes were chosen for labeling purposes only.

For example, if you want to say your product has '0g of trans fat per serving' or 'only 40 carbs per serving' you simply make the serving size small enough to fit that need. Even when you know that most people are going to eat more. Soup is a good example. Who eats 1/2 can of soup? But most list 2 servings per can.

As long as you haven't been advised by a doctor to eat at certain intervals for medical reasons, you can eat all your daily calories in one meal you want. You can eat 4 cans of soup or 2 sandwiches or 4 cookies at once if you want and you'll still lose as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Eat within your limits at portion sizes and times that seem most comfortable and sustainable to you.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you're having trouble reaching 1500 calories - Are you weighing everything? If you've only lost a pound over 4 weeks (unless your goal is .25 lbs) I suspect you're eating more calories/bigger servings than you already think.
    But... if you just don't want to eat all day, you can make the portions of calorie dense food bigger and eat less often. For example, todays entry - only 2 oz of milk? Have a full cup. 1 tbsp of peanut butter, go for 2 or 3. Then you can cut out your snack and only eat your 3 main meals.