Living away from your spouse/life partner.

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieTheMujc
    CharlieTheMujc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in a long distance relationship for over 8 years now (4 of them marriage), and it seems to be working out just fine. For us, the reason is job. I would of course like to live with him, but for both of us, our jobs are important, and moving in would mean that one of us made the sacrifice of not doing the job anymore, and we are not ready for that. So we keep on keeping on, and of course there are rough periods, but mostly it's ok.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I live on an army base in Germany, and I hear about spouses going back home to live in the states while the soldier stays over here for up to three years. I just can't fathom voluntarily spending that much time living apart from my husband. That's all, but to each his own.
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Have been in a commuter relationship (3 hr drive) 10 years because jobs in different universities. Trade weekends back & forth. Difficult but continues to survive.
  • 4BabiesStrong
    4BabiesStrong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only reason I would live apart is for military mission, like I am on now. I only choose a year and would not do any longer. I also would miss my children. I need their laughter and smiles in my life. It is hard to not see them everyday, when you normally are there since they were born. It is hard. But sometimes it is necessary.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    I spend hours in the bathroom, so I totally relate ..By the time I come out were like total strangers 2 each other
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm in grad school on the east coast and my boyfriend of 4 years is a pilot in the midwest. We both started working on our careers at the same time, and unfortunately neither of us were really willing to budge when it meant putting school or work on hold to be together. We did break up for about ~3-4 months but got back together. Do I want to live away from him? Absolutely not. I would choose living far away and being with him than not having him at all. I think our mutual motivation to better ourselves though really fuels the relationship. I'm 100% invested in him and one day starting a family but there's so much more to me than that.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    It's funny cuz alot if couples I know may live 2ghtr,but they're in separate rooms watching TV ,some sleep in separate beds (which I'm not opposed 2) The guys got the man cave etc .....So they may reside at the same house, but live 2 separate lives under the same roof .....