Weight Loss Theory

Options

Replies

• laurimaki
    laurimaki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If I need 3,000 calories to maintain my weight, I'm going to lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2500 calories despite having food in my stomach at any particular time, etc...I'm not providing enough energy (calories) for my body to maintain and thus I burn body fat (stored energy) to make up the deficiency of energy.

This is what I'm focused on though...this deficit...do you think that is the origin of hunger? Your body telling you hey, we aren't used to being at a deficit, put more in here? It's worked for me so far. I mean if you use your example...you need 3000 to maintain but are only eating 2500, even with food in your stomach throughout that day, could your body not be hungry? You don't have to have an empty stomach to be hungry. I just feel like that's how my body works personally...less food than what my body is used to=hunger.

• laurimaki
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And thats great that it works for you but you're asking why others don't follow what you think and thats simply because everyone is different and feeling hungry may be super awesome to you and you may be able to sleep through a symphony of stomach growls and pangs but others cannot and if they can't they will do what they can to minimize this happening with planned meals and macro adjustments.

I never asked why others don't follow what I think. I said this is my theory and I asked some questions. Please don't misquote what I said. I absolutely understand people are different, that's why when you don't agree, I just agree to disagree haha. We all do what works best for ourselves!
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    laurimaki wrote: »

Hunger before a meal is fine..
    But the way i took your post was that you are having times when you are just feeling hungry and putting up with that feeling because you feel that is what you need to do in order to lose weight and that is simply not the case.

That's NOT what my post was intending....I don't starve myself by any means. I just make sure to avoid eating when I'm not hungry as I believe that's when I gain weight. And if it's at night and I'm hungry (not starving), I find no shame in going to bed and not eating. Sometimes I snack if I'm hungry enough. Believe me, I am FAR from starving myself and avoiding eating LOL. That's why losing the 160+ pounds I've lost has taken me 8+ years.

Like you if I'm feeling hungry just before bed, I'll just go to bed. I don't seem to have the problems some have with waking up during night feeling to hungry to sleep. Either I'm too tired to notice or just lucky.

I do see your point that if you don't feel a bit hungry at some point during the day maybe you just don't need as much. I might be weird but I quite like that feeling of slight hunger as it makes me aware that I'm not eating too much and ready for my next meal.

Have to say though that I don't associate the feeling of having an empty stomach as being the same as hungry, to me they are different sensations.
  • laurimaki
    Options
    SteveC_71 wrote: »

Have to say though that I don't associate the feeling of having an empty stomach as being the same as hungry, to me they are different sensations.
    \

Interesting. I guess I always thought of it as being hungry, or being REALLY hungry. If I go a whole day without feeling hungry, maybe I should say hey, good job, but almost always if that's the case it's because I'm over calories and definitely didn't lose weight that day!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If I need 3,000 calories to maintain my weight, I'm going to lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2500 calories despite having food in my stomach at any particular time, etc...I'm not providing enough energy (calories) for my body to maintain and thus I burn body fat (stored energy) to make up the deficiency of energy.

This is what I'm focused on though...this deficit...do you think that is the origin of hunger? Your body telling you hey, we aren't used to being at a deficit, put more in here? It's worked for me so far. I mean if you use your example...you need 3000 to maintain but are only eating 2500, even with food in your stomach throughout that day, could your body not be hungry? You don't have to have an empty stomach to be hungry. I just feel like that's how my body works personally...less food than what my body is used to=hunger.

When I cut and I'm at a 500 calorie deficit, it doesn't cause a great deal of hunger....it's basically a couple of snacks that I otherwise would have if I wasn't cutting. I guess it would also depend on what you're typically eating...I just ate a bowl of Coach's Oats with 1 ounce of almonds, two boiled eggs, and two 5.5 oz low sodium V8s for breakfast...it's between 400-500 calories...I'm pretty well satiated and won't really start having any thoughts of food until about 12:30/1, at which point I'll be hungry for lunch.
  • laurimaki
    Options
    You said you were baffled at the amount of people asking for ways to feel full all the time..
    Since your OP was saying that you feel that we need to feel hungry especially when losing weight, this to me is like wondering why others arent on board with you on this it's good to be hungry thing. Again this is just how i am taking your posts.

I'm not on here to bicker back and forth but merely to discuss. I am baffled...I don't understand it. I'm not saying it's incorrect and people should change to the way I do things, I just don't understand that need to feel full. I believe in one way, you believe in another.

• laurimaki
    Options

When I cut and I'm at a 500 calorie deficit, it doesn't cause a great deal of hunger....it's basically a couple of snacks that I otherwise would have if I wasn't cutting. I guess it would also depend on what you're typically eating...I just ate a bowl of Coach's Oats with 1 ounce of almonds, two boiled eggs, and two 5.5 oz low sodium V8s for breakfast...it's between 400-500 calories...I'm pretty well satiated and won't really start having any thoughts of food until about 12:30/1, at which point I'll be hungry for lunch.

I hear ya. I usually eat a high-fiber granola bar for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and whatever is on the menu for dinner. I just know when I am failing it's because I snack too much throughout the day. For me it's the careful balance of not eating until I'm full, but just eating until I'm not hungry. That is big for me to follow, otherwise I EASILY overdo it on calories.

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've only had a chance to skim read these posts but wanted to say - in case it's not been said before: May observation is that overweight people tend to have pretty poor hunger signalling. Whether that is because the hunger signals are messed up or some people respond to other signals (thirsty, tired) as a hunger trigger I don't know and I don't have any science to back this up - just my observation.

I'd also say that, for me at least, hunger can be Pavlovian, or conditioning based on meal timings (12:00 o'clock = lunchtime and so the stomach starts to rumble).
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hit quote and it won't let me delete, so excuse the blank post!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's any science behind this, but I am interested to hear what other people think. Often I read a comment online or a post on MFP with someone complaining about things not keeping them full or mentioning which snacks keep them full longer. My theory is that we are meant to feel hunger, ESPECIALLY if we are trying to lose weight. I mean, if your body adjusts to eating a certain amount of calories when you are at a higher weight, it needs that many calories every day to not feel hungry and sustain said weight. So if you start eating less and feeling hungry, doesn't that hunger mean that you are burning fat? Doesn't that mean there is no food in your stomach being burned up as fuel, so your stomach is shrinking and your body is using fat to sustain itself?

My theory for losing weight has always been that I have to not eat until I'm truly hungry, and going to bed hungry (NOT starving myself, just being a little hungry) after eating dinner a few hours earlier is not a bad sign, but a sign that my body is noticing there is less food, trying to get me to put more food in there, but instead burns fat to keep my body fueled. Thoughts? It is the one major thing among many minor changes that has worked for me to lose the weight I already have lost, and I know it would work to lose the rest I want to lose...it's just always about the battle of will power isn't it? And being hungry is hard haha.

I'm doubtful that I would've lost weight if it involved months and months of routine self-denial and reduced pleasure. I'm too weak a character - too self-indulgent, too undisciplined/flaky, too pleasure-motivated for that. Will power is not the sharpest tool in my tool-box, so I try to avoid needing it, when I can.

I felt hungry when I first established a consistent deficit (losing 2 pounds a week at first), but between adaptation to a new routine, and seeking a different mix of macros, food timing, snack strategies, etc., I was able to find a way to feel pretty satiated and happy until just about time for the next meal. And on those rare occasions when I did feel hungry at an inappropriate time, I learned some tasty snacks I could eat that would tide me over without derailing my daily calorie budget.

So, no, I don't think hunger is necessary for everyone in order to lose weight. And I don't think science is mostly on your side here, either.

Sure, eating and hunger are related, but "full stomach" is only one tiny piece. There's all kinds of whacky hormonal and neurological stuff that evolution's put in place, not to mention the social, psychological, and habitual aspects.

Food has barely even started being digested while it's still in our stomachs, and I believe Cwolfman13 is correct about how it works - your body draws on different energy sources at different times for different reasons, potentially even burning stored fat soon after a solid meal. It's the balance of food & activity over time that determines weight loss.

Some people probably have stronger hunger feelings than others, or different emotional reactions to them. (After all, people have different physical pain thresholds, differing abilities to handle stress, different tolerances (or enthusiasm, even) for risk, and more.) In some cases, the diaries of people complaining of constant hunger tell a story (nutrient deficiencies, too-aggressive deficit, over-use of not-very-filling foods, expectation of "Biggest Loser" double-digit weekly weight loss, sudden adoption of extreme exercise regimens with no gradual phase-in, etc.).

If you find hunger motivating and helpful, and it makes you feel like you're doing the right thing . . . go, you!

Not my idea of an optimal strategy, since it doesn't feel good to me, and I personally found it to be non-essential for success.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree that a person losing weight should feel hungry.
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    MFP_BodyOvereating2-540x1024.jpg
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm different in that I want to eat at scheduled times. I find I get grumpy if I have to miss or delay, whether I feel hungry or not.

6 am is breakfast
    9:30 ish is a snack
    noon is lunch
    5:30 ish is dinner

Above that, I might have a protein bar in the afternoon if I feel hungry and something at night if I'm bored (I get this) but the times above are not really tied to hunger, just routine. I don't find I'm hungry when I go to bed though.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think some people can lose weight and not be "hungry", but I do think that for a lot of us being hungry is just what you have to deal with, maybe not every day, maybe eating certain things can minimize it, but yeah, I know for myself I am going to have to be a little hungry. This is why I usually skip breakfast, I like to keep my "hungry" to one time of the time, the time of the day when I'm best able to ignore it and when eating doesn't really seem to help it anyway.

You practically took the words outta my mouth on this! For some reason, I'm able to cope with hunger better in the morning, so I keep my calories as low as possible until lunch. I drink coffee and water all morning until I have a small (under 200 calories) snack at mid-morning. I basically eat two main meals - lunch and dinner - plus two snacks - mid-morning and bedtime. This seems to work best for me, as long as I am focused and thinking straight, etc. I exercise in the late afternoon and early evening when I'm adequately fed and nourished so I have enough energy to do my thing. It works out well most days.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The one thing I am finding is that if I hit my numbers I feel OK the day after, if I am a bit short, either by eating too little or working out, then the next day I want to eat the plate as well as the table. Hitting my goal +/- 50 makes the next day soo much easier

ETA. I am in this for life, so I need to make this my new normal and normal should not include feeling hungry!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am not saying you are starving yourself i just think that going to bed with your stomach growling isnt really needed. If my stomach was growling i'd go grab a boiled egg out of my fridge and eat it before bed, the noises my stomach makes have no impact on my weight loss, why go to bed and be unable to focus on sleeping when i could shut that down pretty easy and then sleep.

Yes. There's hungry and there's HUNGRY.

One is okay, the other usually backfires.

It's okay to be a little hungry between meals, and I think this is normal for people who have had normal relationships with food.

The other is likely a sign that your deficit is too aggressive and that often leads to egregious overeating that seems out of control.

I also wanted to pick a nit here. Digestion isn't the same thing as your body "burning" food for fuel. It's the first step in the process of food being converted to energy/fat.

Edit: tagging onto the excellent point StealthHealth made, I want to add that messed up hunger signalling is a real confounder, and I've found this to be especially true the more I try to lean out.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree that a person losing weight should feel hungry.

+1

I agree with ^^^ and also with the OP.

I lost my excess weight most effectively when I felt a couple of times hungry in a day and sometimes going to bed. It's NOT the kind of hunger that causes stomach pain, dizziness or very discomfort. I know this kind of hungry feeling is perfectly fine because I just eat a couple hours before.

This feeling of hunger doesn't happen neatly before meal time or anything. It can happen after some moderate activity, after eating a sugary donut, after seeing/smelling a good food. Lots of things can activate your hunger sense. It's not just biological.

The thing is...anyone can always overeat (beyond the body needs) and the body can get conditioned to feel full/ok/natural with that overeating feeling. To lose wt one must eat less than that amount and naturally the body must feel that difference, ie the hunger.

It's just illogical to me that one feels mostly the same when he is eating his overweight size and when he's eating less.
  • laurimaki
    Options
    I think some people can lose weight and not be "hungry", but I do think that for a lot of us being hungry is just what you have to deal with, maybe not every day, maybe eating certain things can minimize it, but yeah, I know for myself I am going to have to be a little hungry. This is why I usually skip breakfast, I like to keep my "hungry" to one time of the time, the time of the day when I'm best able to ignore it and when eating doesn't really seem to help it anyway.

You practically took the words outta my mouth on this! For some reason, I'm able to cope with hunger better in the morning, so I keep my calories as low as possible until lunch. I drink coffee and water all morning until I have a small (under 200 calories) snack at mid-morning. I basically eat two main meals - lunch and dinner - plus two snacks - mid-morning and bedtime. This seems to work best for me, as long as I am focused and thinking straight, etc. I exercise in the late afternoon and early evening when I'm adequately fed and nourished so I have enough energy to do my thing. It works out well most days.

Agree with you both. I wake up at 6:30 and have a glass of water with my vitamins. I eat a high-fiber 150cal granola bar around 8-9am when I first get hit with some hunger. Then I usually eat lunch at my desk while working sometime between 11:30 and 1pm, usually around 500-800 cals. I go for a nice 45 min walk at work on my lunch break rain or shine. If lunch was on the lighter side, I then have another 200ish calorie snack in the afternoon. Dinner around 6-8pm, usually around 800-1000 cals. On a good day I'm around 1800-2200 cals. Has worked for me so far being 300+ pounds. As I've lost weight my need for calories has slowly decreased, thus still feeling hunger everyday. I also am pretty active, usually putting a good hour of activity on top of the 45 minute walk at work every single day. I just need to sustain those good days for longer stretches. My cheat days turn into pigout days and it's the epitome of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. It works...but SLOWWWWLY...Has taken me 8 years to lose the 160 lbs I've lost.