Weighing salad dressing

Options

Replies

• SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Did they change the label? My bottles always said 30 grams for 2 tablespoons.

Haha! Yeah I was wrong, actually...it was my Hidden Valley that had ML. My Bolthouse, which is my new found fave, does actually have grams. Thanks! I feel silly now.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I seem to remember a gram weight too.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Indeed it does! Most dressings do not and give mL instead!
    4feqophy6mkw.jpg
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Indeed it does! Most dressings do not and give mL instead!
    4feqophy6mkw.jpg

Haha! Yeah I was wrong, actually...it's my Hidden Valley that has ML. My Bolthouse, which is my new found fave, does actually have grams. Thanks! I feel silly now. I had to go look again, my bad!
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Glad you got things sorted out OP.
    I have often been confused by the whole ML thing for any liquids that are not water/milk/alcohol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have seriously hated salad dressing of any kind until I tried the Bolthouse yogurt line. Delicious and calorie friendly? Dream come true for me.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    your scale may already come with a ML option

You can't convert from weight to volume measurements unless you know the density of the thing you're weighing, and there is no way that comes built in to a standard scale for every item you could be measuring.

OP: As others have said, volume measurements are appropriate for liquids.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've noticed recently learned the importance of weighing everything. Question, how would I weigh salad dressing. I use the Bolthouse Ranch and it says a serving size is 2 TBSP (which is what I've been doing) and it also gives a ML serving size but how do I weigh ML? Thanks for any suggestions!

Measure it once so you get an idea of the serving size, then from there just eyeball it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you want to be a science geek about this stuff (sometimes I do ;) !):
    1. You can convert ml to grams if you know the density of the food. Here's one calculator for converting:

onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

This obviously only lists a very limited number of foods, but using something of a similar density/consistency may get you closer.

2. Also, the USDA nutrient database gives nutrient info (including calories) for many, many products (including Hidden Valley Ranch) in both a volume measure (like tablespoons) and a weight measurement (like grams) - look at the column headings.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that 1ml does not always equal 1g unless it's water the measuring spoon/cups will be MORE accurate than a scale in the case of liquids. Good luck x

Edit sorry didn't read all the replies saying the same thing :wink:
  • timma300
    timma300 Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you want to be a science geek about this stuff (sometimes I do ;) !):
    1. You can convert ml to grams if you know the density of the food. Here's one calculator for converting:

onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

This obviously only lists a very limited number of foods, but using something of a similar density/consistency may get you closer.

2. Also, the USDA nutrient database gives nutrient info (including calories) for many, many products (including Hidden Valley Ranch) in both a volume measure (like tablespoons) and a weight measurement (like grams) - look at the column headings.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

That is awesome! I basically have an abridged version of this taped to my fridge for quick calculations:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-gravity-liquid-fluids-d_294.html

The conversion I use the most is olive oil, which is listed as 1 TBSP (15 mL) on the label, but by weight it would be 13.5g. I don't even use measuring cups for anything anymore since the scale is way more convenient.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have seriously hated salad dressing of any kind until I tried the Bolthouse yogurt line. Delicious and calorie friendly? Dream come true for me.

Oh I'm so glad to hear this because I JUST bought the bolthouse creamy balsamic not knowing if it would be good or not. Whats your favorite of the yogurt line?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Here is how I weigh liquids. I first use a liquid measure to measure the liquid, then I weigh it to see what the weight is. I make a note of that weight and then going forward weigh the salad dressing, coffee creamer etc... so I don't have to always use measuring cups and spoons for the liquids.

This is what I do, especially for creamy/chunky dressings. It doesn't have to me a perfect representation. It just has to ne consistent.