How to determine goal weight?

Options
Hi all!

Quick run down. I've lost 48 pounds in a little over a year. I'm actually close to reaching my initial goal weight of 140 (I'm like 4 pounds away) but my stomach is still kind of big. I decided to change my goal weight to 130 (I'm 5'5). I'm at the lowest weight I've ever been in my adult life so finding it kind of difficult figuring out what my goal weight should be. Any tips on determining your goal weight? Did you just keep losing until you were satisfied with your weight? I don't want to get too thin.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think when you reach your initial goal you should go into maintenance for your new 140- you have to learn how to maintain 50 lbs off .. once u have maintained for a while, it's easy to go into a cut again
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    130 isnt particularly low for your height - its roughly my goal weight too.

as above, when you get to 140 you can always maintain for a bit, and then start losing slowly again.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight/obese my whole life, so I understand how it feels like to choose a goal. I ended up losing a couple more pounds after reaching my original goal weight before maintaining. I say go for what feels good as long as the goal falls within the recommended BMI range for your height and age.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You're about where my initial goal weight is. My strategy is going to be like you, to reassess once I'm there. But I'll be switching to recomp close to that time too (small deficit, strength training) and slowly lose until I can see I am closer to where I want to be and then fully recomp by eating at maintenance.

I would also take pictures and try to be objective, sometimes we see things that in reality aren't actually there!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Go by measurements pick clothes size you'd like to be find the measurements go with that BMI is outdated I was a uk 12 at 167lbs 5 ft 2 if I went to my BMI of 24 I'd be 120lbs I'd look gaunt
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Similar here. I'm 5'6, currently 136 pounds. My goal was 124, (I was that weight 5 years ago), but I now feel that'll be too skinny for me. So I've slowed to 250 deficit and started some resistance training to creep down to 130. Then I'd like to recomp.

Edited: congratulations on your weight loss!
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    hmm I think I wouldn't go so much by weight but by how healthy you are and how you feel. If you feel you could lose a few more, then try for it. Also realize that we are our own worst critic. Do what you feel is best for YOU.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Rather than setting an arbitrary number that is made up of many things, I'd take into account BF% and composition as well.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm working toward a healthy body-fat level as my first goal. Then I'll get another (somewhat more accurate) BF test done, the results of which I'll use to set my maintenance range.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm at 158, starting weight 168. I plan on getting to a healthy bmi at around 145 and then working on sticking to maintenance and lifting heavy for a few months. Just to give my body a chance to get used to eating at maintenance and to give me a little break. If after a few months I want to go on another cut, my hope is that I will have put on a little bit of muscle to make up for the muscle lost from eating at a deficit for a few months and then I will be able to lose the last 10 healthy and easily.

You've just spent a whole year - congratulations by the way!, cutting calories and getting to a healthy weight. Sometimes it's okay to give your body a break from calorie counting while working on fitness goals. Take it to the next level when you are ready. And don't worry about the number on the scale as an end point. I only know my numbers because this is new weight I've put on and I know what I look like at every number. Otherwise, I'd just be going on what I wanted to look like.

After all the work you've put in, you can finally ask yourself - how fit do I want to be? Once you can answer that question everything else will fall into place.
  • AbelMendoza
    AbelMendoza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Instead of a goal weight, maybe a goal physique? I am on a cut and I usually don't have a goal weight, just kind of a range. Judging on how high my bodfat % is before the cut and what weight I think that I would look lean at.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal by looking at the BMI chart, pointed to the middle of 'normal' and decided that was the general area I was going to aim for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    All of this is so individual - encompassing differences in our physiques, as well as personal and cultural preferences!

Personally, I just kept losing until I felt like my remaining fat was not conspiring with gravity to pull down (much) on the loose skin, in hopes that that would help let it shrink back as much as it might be willing to do at my age (61 now, 59/60 when losing).

I gradually reduced my deficit by upping calories a little at a time, so I was losing verrrrry sloooowly. Finally, I just woke up one morning - literally - and thought "this is it".

So, my advice would be: Trust yourself to know. Think hard, try to be dispassionate about it, but trust yourself. You can always change your mind later, if you decide you want to - either up or down.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I too have been overweight my entire life, so at 5-7" I picked a number (150) that is within a healthy BMI. I hit that 6 months ago and have been maintaining and heavy lifting. I'll be happy if I stay at this weight, but realistically, I'd look much better at 135-140.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Quick run down. I've lost 48 pounds in a little over a year. I'm actually close to reaching my initial goal weight of 140 (I'm like 4 pounds away) but my stomach is still kind of big. I decided to change my goal weight to 130 (I'm 5'5). I'm at the lowest weight I've ever been in my adult life so finding it kind of difficult figuring out what my goal weight should be. Any tips on determining your goal weight? Did you just keep losing until you were satisfied with your weight? I don't want to get too thin.

Based on various charts available online, 130 would be okay, but 140 is also within the recommended range for your height.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    All of this is so individual - encompassing differences in our physiques, as well as personal and cultural preferences!

Personally, I just kept losing until I felt like my remaining fat was not conspiring with gravity to pull down (much) on the loose skin, in hopes that that would help let it shrink back as much as it might be willing to do at my age (61 now, 59/60 when losing).

I gradually reduced my deficit by upping calories a little at a time, so I was losing verrrrry sloooowly. Finally, I just woke up one morning - literally - and thought "this is it".

So, my advice would be: Trust yourself to know. Think hard, try to be dispassionate about it, but trust yourself. You can always change your mind later, if you decide you want to - either up or down.

This is me as well. 5'4" and finally hit 130 for the first time in at least 30 years. At that point I decided it was time to work on some additional strength training and not worry about losing pounds. Feeling much stronger and better than I've felt in many years.