Full body or Split routine for mass?

Options
Hello guys and girls! What do you think?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The are both effective. It's largely depends on your ability to recovery. There could be an argument that full body will be more ideal due to frequency. But either way, if you are making progressive gains, you should be gaining mass. Ultimately, the one you can enjoy and sustain is going to be the most effective.
  • hamshor
    hamshor Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The are both effective. It's largely depends on your ability to recovery. There could be an argument that full body will be more ideal due to frequency. But either way, if you are making progressive gains, you should be gaining mass. Ultimately, the one you can enjoy and sustain is going to be the most effective.

you know a lot about this stuff. so, what is your personal preference about this?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    How many days a week do you want to be in the gym? If only 3, full body.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    hamshor wrote: »

you know a lot about this stuff. so, what is your personal preference about this?

Full body frequency was a bit much for me. I tend to enjoy upper/lower splits. It's allows for more recovery for me. But like @_benjammin ask, what is your preferred gym frequency. Because there are good, 3, 4, 5 and 6 day programs that target major muscle groups 2 to 3x a week.
  • hamshor
    Options

Full body frequency was a bit much for me. I tend to enjoy upper/lower splits. It's allows for more recovery for me. But like @_benjammin ask, what is your preferred gym frequency. Because there are good, 3, 4, 5 and 6 day programs that target major muscle groups 2 to 3x a week.

3 days a week. What program do you suggest in this case? Thanx a lot
  • psuLemon
    Options

It depends. How long have you been lifting, particularly with a structured program? Do you have any other goals besides gain muscle? Do you like strength or hypertrophy? Which allows you to accumulate more volume? Are you a person who enjoys change every so often or are you ok with following the same cycle for extended periods of time?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • hamshor
    Options

It depends. How long have you been lifting, particularly with a structured program? Do you have any other goals besides gain muscle? Do you like strength or hypertrophy? Which allows you to accumulate more volume? Are you a person who enjoys change every so often or are you ok with following the same cycle for extended periods of time?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

My main goal is hypertrophy. Im not a beginner. I like to change my workout routine and workout only 45 min - 1 hour per day. Currently im doing chest/tri , back/ bi , legs/shoulders.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @psuLemon says, it is based on your goals and capabilities.
    Both methods will work if you do them right but neither will work of you don't eat enough.
    The difference mostly comes down to looking bigger vs. being stronger.

You should probably be eating to gain at least 1 lb per week until you determine what workouts work best for you.
    Around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat is a starting point.

StrongLifts5x5, Wendler's 5/3/1, ICS, PHAT, "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger", Starting Strength, and dozens more programs have put slabs of muscle on people over time.

Jim Wendler says you need to be thinking about 2 or 3 years out if you are trying to add a noticeable amount of muscle.
    I tend to agree with him.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My main goal is hypertrophy. Im not a beginner. I like to change my workout routine and workout only 45 min - 1 hour per day. Currently im doing chest/tri , back/ bi , legs/shoulders.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I would lean towards AllPro. It's a bit higher in the rep range, which may allow for greater accumulation of volume.

I would note though, if you haven't done a program like StrongLift, I would potentially start with that. Hypertrophy can occur in those programs. Some studies would suggest that hypertrophy can be achieve when total reps range from 25 to 60. If you like a good amount of variety in your workouts, then I would recommend Bigger Leaner Stronger. It has 8 week cycles, so you would deload on week 8 and it would change the routine each cycle.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    After 4-5 years of either powerlifting mixed with bro splits, I have started doing a full body split and am really enjoying it.

The frequency seems to be doing good things for my physique.
  • hamshor
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Both methods will work if you do them right but neither will work of you don't eat enough.

You should probably be eating to gain at least 1 lb per week until you determine what workouts work best for you.

StrongLifts5x5, Wendler's 5/3/1, ICS, PHAT, "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger", Starting Strength, and dozens more programs have put slabs of muscle on people over time.

Jim Wendler says you need to be thinking about 2 or 3 years out if you are trying to add a noticeable amount of muscle.

thank u! 40% of protein?
  • hamshor
    Options
    After 4-5 years of either powerlifting mixed with bro splits, I have started doing a full body split and am really enjoying it.

The frequency seems to be doing good things for my physique.

nice! how many exercises are u doing in a day?
  • psuLemon
    Options

thank u! 40% of protein?

You don't need 40% protein. Aim for .8 to 1g of weight.
  • hamshor
    Options

I would lean towards AllPro. It's a bit higher in the rep range, which may allow for greater accumulation of volume.

I would note though, if you haven't done a program like StrongLift, I would potentially start with that. Hypertrophy can occur in those programs. Some studies would suggest that hypertrophy can be achieve when total reps range from 25 to 60. If you like a good amount of variety in your workouts, then I would recommend Bigger Leaner Stronger. It has 8 week cycles, so you would deload on week 8 and it would change the routine each cycle.

I should give a try at Bigger Leaner Stronger. have done stronglift in the past. Thank u !
  • psuLemon
    Options

I should give a try at Bigger Leaner Stronger. have done stronglift in the past. Thank u !

With the book, you actually get a 3, 4 and 5 day program for a year. So you can adjust based on your ability to go to the gym.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    thank u! 40% of protein?
    Usually 40% protein will put most people in the ~ 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight range.

You just need to adjust as needed. Keep the carbs and protein high, fats low.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    2nd vote for All Pro.
    Or Ice Cream Fitness.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    thank u! 40% of protein?
    Usually 40% protein will put most people in the ~ 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight range.

You just need to adjust as needed. Keep the carbs and protein high, fats low.

IMO, it's usually excessive, except when people have aggressive cuts. I hit mine at ~ 25% of my calories, 30% on my low carb days. And that is 1g per lb instead of lean body mass. It also should be noted that protein needs in a surplus is not as high as cuts.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The split you do is secondary to the amount of volume you do. Because of this I'd recommend reading this in depth article by Mike Israetel on how much volume you should do. There's also a ton of interviews with him on Youtube about the same stuff.
  • cqbkaju
    edited February 2017
    Options
    IMO, it's usually excessive, except when people have aggressive cuts. I hit mine at ~ 25% of my calories, 30% on my low carb days. And that is 1g per lb instead of lean body mass. It also should be noted that protein needs in a surplus is not as high as cuts.
    Fair enough.

And I had a typo above.. I put ICS... meant ICF: "Ice Cream Fitness"

On Wendler's program I feel like I need the protein higher but it is a different animal than All Pro's obviously.