Confused... help??

Options
Iv seen people going on about eating there exercise calories what do you mean? My limit is 1500 a day but while doing exercise I loss about 300 + calories a day then it gets added to my 1500 so it says 1800? Aren't i meant to be working them off not adding more on by eating more?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The 1500 calories will make you lose weight, without exercise (I'm guessing either 1 lb/week or 0.5 lb/week, whatever you picked).

If you exercise, you can either eat more or lose faster. Either is fine. If you're super hungry, pick "eat more" - up to the 1800 in your example. You'll still lose.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No. You're supposed to eat (some of) them. MFP's formula does not account for exercise. Many people find that the exercise calories are over-estimated and only eat back 50% or so. So in your example, you should be eating about 1650.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I find a good weightloss calculator that includes how active I am calories and I eat that but I answer the activity section honestly I'm lightly active atm
    I don't take any notice of mfp activity calories as they are way too high
    You can adjust your calories in settings
    I have mine as 1430 and I add my activity but never eat those calories one as I like the activity on my diary to look back on
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I use my TDEE and am honest about my activity so I don't have to worry about logging my activity. You can Google TDEE calculators and learn about it, then decide what is best for you.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You are meant to eat them. Your original goal (1500) already has your deficit needed to lose weight built in. Exercising increases that deficit. By eating those lost calories, you're not only keeping your already built in deficit, but you're also fueling your body so that it can continue those workouts. It also allows you to eat more food (yay!).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    burnss2016 wrote: »
    Iv seen people going on about eating there exercise calories what do you mean? My limit is 1500 a day but while doing exercise I loss about 300 + calories a day then it gets added to my 1500 so it says 1800? Aren't i meant to be working them off not adding more on by eating more?

With MFP, you're not trying to create your deficit with exercise...you put in that your stats and your desired rate of loss goal and MFP calculates a calorie target WITHOUT exercise that is your weight loss target...your GOAL is not a maintenance calorie target...it is a deficit and you would lose weight eating that without any exercise whatsoever.

Exercise is unaccounted for in your activity level...common sense would dictate that ultimately all activity should be accounted for...having a deficit and then making that deficit even bigger isn't desirable in many cases and part of this is to help you learn to fuel your fitness and the importance of doing that.

MFP will give my 1900 calories to lose about 1 Lb per month...that is with zero, zip, nada exercise. This means that MFP is estimating my non exercise maintenance to be around 2,400 calories (500 calorie deficit).

If I exercise and burn 600 calories which is pretty typical of one of my rides, I can eat 1900+600 = 2,500 and still lose 1 Lb per week...because that additional activity will have also raised my maintenance calories by 600...2,400 + 600 = 3,000 and 3,000 - 2,500 = 500 calorie deficit still.