Should I throw my scales in the trash?

Options
This morning I weighed myself (upon waking, going to the bathroom and stripping down) and I'd put on a pound. I had a doctors appointment this morning and she weighed me, after my breakfast and with clothes on and I weighed 4 pounds lighter according to her scales. Should I throw my cheap kmart scales in the trash and buy a better one? I feel like the doctor would have better and more accurate scales than mine

Replies

• chinkel62
    chinkel62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my scale. I get different #'s at different times,and I don't know what to do!!!!
  • Shelley459087
    Shelley459087 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself 4 times within 2 minutes and it gave me 3 different readings :s now I'm not sure what my correct starting weight would have been
  • Shelley459087
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! think I will splurge on a good set of scales.

I know I shouldn't worry too much about what the reading is but I find it extremely discouraging to wake up and find after I've worked hard for the whole week to find I've gained weight (when that may not be the case).
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem with a digital scale, so i put it in the trash and got this http://www.detecto.com/cs_product/weigh-beam-eye-level/ its a very nice scale ebay and amazon have them new for around 140.00 and up some offer free shipping too
  • Shelley459087
    Options
    I had no idea a scale could be so inaccurate!! Thanks for the tips everyone, I feel like a good scale will be a wise investment. I thought I was going mad with the weight fluctuations on my cheap scale!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I had no idea a scale could be so inaccurate!! Thanks for the tips everyone, I feel like a good scale will be a wise investment. I thought I was going mad with the weight fluctuations on my cheap scale!
    I have a Starfrit Balance digital scale at home, bought it a couple of years ago and it's the only scale I've ever owned. It's super accurate. Gives the same reading over and over, no crazy fluctuations day to day, and agrees with the gym scale every time. I've tested it against known quantities and it's dead accurate. I don't believe I paid more then $CDN30 for it, probably at Wallymart. I could have tracked my recent weight loss in 0.2 lb increments if I wanted to. Highly recommend it.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I can weigh myself at home, the gym, the Dr, and get different numbers. Choose a scale and stick with it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You gain & lose weight yhroughout the day. It's perfectly normal! The weight is water, fluid, food, waste, etc, not fat. Every scale is a little different too. Weigh yourself once at a consistent time, then be done with it. . If you have to go to the doctor, don't sweat it. Of course you'll weigh more with clothes on & after eating and drinking, right?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Have you changed the batteries lately and checked for stuff stuck to the feet? If that doesn't help I would say new scale time. If you want to splurge, the wifi ones are neat. I have a Fitbit Aria that automatically updates my weight with Fitbit, Trendweight, MFP, Garmin, and anything else I might be linked to. I find it especially helpful to link to Trendweight and weigh under the same conditions daily: first thing in AM, after bathroom, without clothes. Then I can look at what the trend is doing instead of getting annoyed at every random loss and gain over the week.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    OP, please don't be horrified if you get a new scale and find your weight still fluctuates. It's perfectly normal for this to happen. My weight fluctuates by up to 3lb day to day for random reasons, and if I do heavy exercise it can be up even more than that. It is just a fact of life.

A 4lb error between two sets of scales is also completely normal and does not mean either is faulty. Scales need calibrated regularly to stay accurate, and home scales can't be calibrated so they wander over time. Doctors' scales are regularly calibrated but they also see a lot of use, so they wander too. I'm afraid it's just how life is. If your scales are old, I would still replace them, but don't expect it to result in no more weight fluctuation or in perfect agreement with the doctor's scales.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I picked up a glass, Salter digital bathroom scale for around the £20 mark, it seems fairly accurate but if I go to a friends house (and sneak a peak on their scales) or the doctors I'm always a couple of pounds different. If yours are all over the place with measurements within minutes I'd get some new ones. I don't know if mine are totally accurate but I can map my progress well enough on them and the reading for losses and gains (when I'm bloated, hormonal or retaining water with DOMS) seem to match (or not be too far out) what I was expecting progress wise.

Edit: Actually my scales are pretty accurate thinking about it, since I use them to measure my luggage for flights too and its usually bob on. So definite recommendation here for salter bathroom scales.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I used to work in an analytical laboratory.

The scales we used (anayltical balances) cost from £6000 upwards. We had them in a special low air flow room, on granite slabs mounted on shock absorbing material. We had them serviced monthly (accuracy, precision and linearity), calibrated weekly, and check measured before each use.

It was/is generally accepted that there is a small amount of inaccuracy in the readings.

Bathroom scales? spend big money and you're still getting a piece of crap, but taking what @Tacklewasher said above Trend > Absolute value - even the cheap ones are probably fit for purpose and it's more likely that the ones in your doctors are worse than your home ones (because they are probably mistreated, moved, dropped, kicked more than your at home).
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This /\ /\ . Op, just look for the trend. Accept that your weight will fluctuate throughput the day, day to day, etc. That's normal. Just watch how it trends, hopefully down, so everything is going the way it should.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Every morning, my wife and I calibrate our scale using the same kettlebell sitting in the bathroom. Takes the guesswork out of wondering if your scale isn't accurate.