MyFitnessPal and "Exercise Calories" confusion!

Options
Okay, I'm trying to lose weight, so I've set myself a goal of 1500 calories a day, but I go to the gym 3-4 days a week, and in MyFitnessPal it tells me extra calories I'm allowed to eat because of the workouts I've done. Do I need to eat these extra calories? Or will those extra calories slow down me losing weight?

My main concern is that I'm eating more calories on the days I'm working out as of right now, but wouldn't that make me sustain my current weight or gain weight instead of losing weight? Should I just stick to my 1500 calories a day even on the days that I do work out? I just don't want to eat those extra calories MyFitnessPal is telling me to eat then gain or just sustain weight, my main focus is to lose weight.

I'm really confused about "extra calories" from exercise on MyFitnessPal and how they work so if anyone can clear this up for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

My current stats are 5'9 height, 252 lb's, with a goal with of 170-180. Started the diet at 285 lb's on January 1st.

Replies

• TwistMotionless
    TwistMotionless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should be eating a good portion of them back, 50% is usually a good amount, you won't slow down your loss because you are already in deficit eating to MFP's goal, exercise and eating those back will just bring you back to a NET amount leaving your deficit through MFP untouched.

So eat roughly half of the extra calories MFP is telling me to eat if I'm understanding that correctly?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. I've lost at exactly my target rate of 1 lb/week. You won't gain from eating some of them back.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    MFP member SideSteel explains it really well in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    For instance, today MFP goals look like this, 1500 Goal (my goal calorie intake each day) - 1668 Food (how much I've eaten through out the day)+ 420 Exercise (extra calories MFP is saying I've got to eat from exercise) = 252 Remaining.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You don't need to, but it's best for your body and your progress if you do. (Link deleted because @CafeRacer808 beat me to the video)
  • TwistMotionless
    Options

This video was incredibly helpful!!! Thank you very much for that!
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

This video was incredibly helpful!!! Thank you very much for that!

Thank @SideSteel. Every video he's made and posted to the forums is on point. :)
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    My other question is, he mentioned in the video that if you use MFP's default caloric intake/day, then yes, but I do not, nor do I use another calorie calculator, I set the 1500 calories a day goal myself, that wasn't MFP's recommendation. Will the answer still be the same?
  • NewyRob
    NewyRob Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Great explanation.
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    Here's another thing I find interesting, yet confusing, according to MFP's default calories, I should be taking 1970 calories per day, and according to the video above, because I'm using the default calories, I should eat those extra calories, or at least 50% of them. Now, if I use this website, http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=24&csex=m&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=9&cpound=252&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.375&printit=0&x=72&y=14 and put in my information, it says I need 1920 calories/day to lose 2 lb's per week with Lightly Active selected, and in the video he said if you're using an external calculator, he said don't add those calories because it's already done that for you. So that website has me eating 50 less calories, plus I won't be adding my exercise calories to that. Forgive me if this actually just made me a bit more confused, but I'm trying to understand everything the best I can!
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    My other question is, he mentioned in the video that if you use MFP's default caloric intake/day, then yes, but I do not, nor do I use another calorie calculator, I set the 1500 calories a day goal myself, that wasn't MFP's recommendation. Will the answer still be the same?

That depends. How did you choose 1500 calories as an appropriate calorie goal for yourself?
  • TwistMotionless
    Options

That depends. How did you choose 1500 calories as an appropriate calorie goal for yourself?

I just chose that as a number before I knew anything about all this and was trying to lose weight ASAP, I now see that 1500 was a dangerous number to go by because then I'd be losing much more than 2 lb / week. But here, I'll explain my confusion a bit better.

Okay, so according to the default calories of MyFitnessPal, it says I need 1970 calories a day with Light Activity, 5'9 height, and 252 lb's, and according to your video if I understood correctly, while using the default calories, I do need to add the exercise calories or at least 50% of them for extra food intake, here's where my confusion comes in to play, according to other calculators, I need 1920 calories (50 less calories than MFP suggests) and also according to your video, while using external calculators like, the two I used were calculator.net and https://content.tigerfitness.com/tdee-calculator-total-daily-energy-expenditure/ but like you said in your video, if you use the external calculators, you don't add the exercise calories because the calculator has already done that? But according to these calculators, I would be eating marginally less calories according to external calculators than what MFP is telling me to eat. Please help?! Very confused by this and trying to lose weight! (Also when I say "marginally less than what MFP tells me to eat" I mean that because 1920 calories per day for 2 lb/week weight loss, also not adding in those exercise calories, compared to the 1970 calories per day MFP is telling me to do by default, then adding in the roughly 300-400 calories a day I do from going to the gym for exercise, so with MFP I'd be eating roughly 2270 calories.

Now, with that in mind, the external calculators have me eating 1920 calories per day taking account for my exercise, MFP has me taking in 1970 calories, not taking account for my exercise. This is where my confusion comes into play.
  • CafeRacer808
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When you went through MFP's guided setup, did you choose "lightly active" based on the amount of exercise you typically do in a week, or did you choose that because your job has you on your feet all day (ie - waiter/waitress, cashier, etc)?

Also, it's not my video. It's SideSteel's (I want to make sure he gets his due credit because the video is so helpful).
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    When you went through MFP's guided setup, did you choose "lightly active" based on the amount of exercise you typically do in a week, or did you choose that because your job has you on your feet all day (ie - waiter/waitress, cashier, etc)?

Also, it's not my video. It's SideSteel's (I want to make sure he gets his due credit because the video is so helpful).

Yes I did choose lightly active on MFP and on all other external calculators.
    I understand, I just said yours because I left that same comment on his video, and copied and pasted to this, forgot to change the "yours" XD
  • CafeRacer808
    edited February 2017
    Options

I understand, I just said yours because I left that same comment on his video, and copied and pasted to this, forgot to change the "yours" XD

On MFP, "activity level" refers to your daily activity level not including exercise. So, it generally refers to your job. If you have a desk job, you would be "sedentary". If you're a waiter or retail worker where you're on your feet all day, you would be "lightly active". If you're on your feet and moving boxes or other heavy items often, you'd be "active", etc. I suspect you chose the wrong activity level.
  • TwistMotionless
    edited February 2017
    Options

On MFP, "activity level" refers to your daily activity level not including exercise. So, it generally refers to your job. If you have a desk job, you would be "sedentary". If you're a waiter or retail worker where you're on your feet all day, you would be "lightly active". If you're on your feet and moving boxes or other heavy items often, you'd be "active", etc.

I chose Lightly Active because I go to the gym 3-4 days per week, should I not choose Lightly Active solely due to that? And choose instead my activity level based on my job? I work at a warehouse, but it's only 2 days per week due to college. But I see how this would make more sense, lol thanks for clearing that up for me!
  • CafeRacer808
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I chose Lightly Active because I go to the gym 3-4 days per week, should I not choose Lightly Active solely due to that? And choose instead my activity level based on my job?

How much you exercise each week has nothing to do with your activity level on MFP. Choose your activity level based on your job.

If you're using a TDEE calculator, your activity level includes your exercise. But I wouldn't even bother with TDEE calculators at this point. Just stick to MFP's calculator until you have a better handle on all of this.
  • Picklemunchinfeet
    Options
    The difference in the goal calories those websites give you is literally half an apple. Set your goals in the MFP app and go by the calories they give you. Forget the 1500. If you want to lose 2 lbs per week the number they give you will have you losing that weight without exercising if you stick to it. I love to eat so I consider every run or workout BONUS FOOD!!! You can absolutely still eat these calories if you input your food correctly and stay within your goal. If that number is green and not red by the end of the day, you are still on track to lose your 2 per week!
  • TwistMotionless
    Options
    The difference in the goal calories those websites give you is literally half an apple. Set your goals in the MFP app and go by the calories they give you. Forget the 1500. If you want to lose 2 lbs per week the number they give you will have you losing that weight without exercising if you stick to it. I love to eat so I consider every run or workout BONUS FOOD!!! You can absolutely still eat these calories if you input your food correctly and stay within your goal. If that number is green and not red by the end of the day, you are still on track to lose your 2 per week!

Much less confusion now! Thank you! I didn't realize the activity level on the app was asking solely for my job activity, not my workout activity!