Eating my emotions

Options
Hello,

I'm back for a second time to try abd win the battle of my self destructiveness when it comes to food and exercise.

I have been suffering with depression and anxiety for the past 16 months and I've managed to eat a "small child in weight" in the process, gaining a whopping 4 stone in that time

Replies

• megnolia82
    megnolia82 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Good for you for coming back! You can do it :) feel free to add me if you'd like some encouragement.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Me too - I've gained a lot back due to emotional eating. I know I must try again but it is just so hard to get started. Again. Good luck to you
  • sintyrose
    sintyrose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend on here! I can relate big time! I eat my feelings..All the time. And I beat myself up for it too. I am my own worst enemy. Then i pick myself up, dust myself off and Tell myself tomorrow is another day. It's hard struggling with emotional issues. I'm bipolar so yes I know the struggles with self medicating with food. My love/ hate affair I call it. It's going to be ok. Like I said when u have a bad day. Don't get disappointed or discouraged (I kno easily said than done) tomorrow is a new day! Confession: today I done so well with my eating then all of a sudden My anxiety went through the roof and I ate 2 huge pieces of pizza, like 5 chicken nuggets, Rotel dip and chips, soda...so yea I pep talked my self in the mirror. Smiled. What's done is done. Put it behind and keep going. Start back over tomorrow.
  • Bhriannatyvm
    Bhriannatyvm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too gained a lot of weight in a short space of time due to depression, anxiety and an emotional issue. I've just recently joined again and am hoping to keep motivated. So far I've just been going on walks. I really hate exercise and have an unhealthy relationship with food but slowly I'm trying to make healthier food choices and walking for around 30-45 minutes gives me lots of energy to complete things I need to do that day. I do like dance, mainly comptemporary and pole dancing and I'd love to try lyrical so when I have the money for dance classes I'll try get into that.

For now I've downloaded some fitness apps that create a plan for you. Such as the Nike app. I haven't done any of the workouts yet but I'm looking forward to start.

Good luck with your journey and if you want an extra friend on here to help keep you on track then I'll happily help :)
  • Keztral_73_Mind_Body_Soul
    Options
    megnolia82 wrote: »
    Good for you for coming back! You can do it :) feel free to add me if you'd like some encouragement.

Thank you
    Options
    Me too - I've gained a lot back due to emotional eating. I know I must try again but it is just so hard to get started. Again. Good luck to you

I've added you... it's not going to be easy but maybe we can help each other
    Options
    sintyrose wrote: »
    Add me as a friend on here! I can relate big time! I eat my feelings..All the time. And I beat myself up for it too. I am my own worst enemy. Then i pick myself up, dust myself off and Tell myself tomorrow is another day. It's hard struggling with emotional issues. I'm bipolar so yes I know the struggles with self medicating with food. My love/ hate affair I call it. It's going to be ok. Like I said when u have a bad day. Don't get disappointed or discouraged (I kno easily said than done) tomorrow is a new day! Confession: today I done so well with my eating then all of a sudden My anxiety went through the roof and I ate 2 huge pieces of pizza, like 5 chicken nuggets, Rotel dip and chips, soda...so yea I pep talked my self in the mirror. Smiled. What's done is done. Put it behind and keep going. Start back over tomorrow.

I've added you, thank you for your words and openness.. look forward to getting to know you
    Options
    I too gained a lot of weight in a short space of time due to depression, anxiety and an emotional issue. I've just recently joined again and am hoping to keep motivated. So far I've just been going on walks. I really hate exercise and have an unhealthy relationship with food but slowly I'm trying to make healthier food choices and walking for around 30-45 minutes gives me lots of energy to complete things I need to do that day. I do like dance, mainly comptemporary and pole dancing and I'd love to try lyrical so when I have the money for dance classes I'll try get into that.

For now I've downloaded some fitness apps that create a plan for you. Such as the Nike app. I haven't done any of the workouts yet but I'm looking forward to start.

Good luck with your journey and if you want an extra friend on here to help keep you on track then I'll happily help :)

Thank you
  • urszulakawa
    urszulakawa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, don't give up - I go through the cycles of emotional eating over and over again. Despite my recurring depression, I've managed to lose 7,5 kg and maintain it but it was hard. It's like I have to be on the watch and guard myself all the time. And of course when I fail, the self hatred creeps in and I am disgusted by myself. But the, the next day I begin with a very healthy breakfast and feel good about myself again. Until next time. I wish there was a cure to break this cycle. If you find it, please let me know. Good luck and fingers crossed.
  • jruck371
    jruck371 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ive struggled with Depression/Anxiety/Binge eating since I was 16.. so I definitely feel you! I found that staying on track with my diet for me has had a lot more to do with working on my mental health then the actual food. If I stop doing my CBT exercises, meditation, or mindful eating, emotional eating takes over! Welcome back, know that you are not alone! My favorite quote right now is from Harry Potter:

"Whats comin' will come, and we'll meet it when it does". - Hagrid
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If I never ate my emotions, I'd never have a weight problem :) Whether it's instinctual, or a learned behavior, some of us have a hard time handling stress and upset feelings with anything other than food.

I haven't gone on a binge in well over a year. My secret? Uhhhh, honestly, I don't know. I just had enough and put my foot down. But know that it can be done. Good luck!