Emotional Eating

Options
It has taken me too long to realize, but when I'm in pain I turn to food. Mostly sweets and chocolate for an immediate "aspirin". Now that I know this, I am struggling for better substitutes. I understand to "wait 30 minutes" approach, but when I give in, is when the pain is bad.
Suggestions? And thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't have any food aspirin in your house?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Finding better substitutes for sweets and chocolate is a Band-Aid, IMO. You need to address the source of your emotional pain. Dealing with emotional pain or stress is a skill. If you don't have the ability to develop that skill on your own, speaking to a therapist will help.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @CafeRacer808 has a point but that does not solve the now issue, therapy takes time and the reality is that you will always have feelings that make you uncomfortable. So perhaps as a two prong approach along with working to understand your feelings better, try going for a walk or doing some other physical activity? I know for me, I tend to do chores around the house and that helps me in two ways, I don't eat when I am not hungry and my house is cleaner/more organized.

• tuffy777
    tuffy777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is not so much emotional pain as it is real physical pain that I deal with on a daily basis. Diagnosis was many years ago and pain meds just messed me up, so have tried to just live with this. This gets me depressed sometimes when it is hard to overcome. And I don't buy the food aspirin, my significant other does.
  • tuffy777
    Options
    A therapist may be a good idea, they may have knowledge of different coping skills.
  • tuffy777
    Options
    And when he does, lol I know just where it is in the pantry. I keep trying to ignore it though.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    tuffy777 wrote: »
    It is not so much emotional pain as it is real physical pain that I deal with on a daily basis. Diagnosis was many years ago and pain meds just messed me up, so have tried to just live with this. This gets me depressed sometimes when it is hard to overcome. And I don't buy the food aspirin, my significant other does.

Self medicating is often a slippery slope. It'd probably be a good idea to speak to your doctor about alternative approaches to managing your physical pain (a different medication, acupuncture, meditation, etc). And yes, I still think speaking to a therapist about developing better coping skills would be a good idea.
  • Sandstress1025
    Sandstress1025 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was having the same kind of issue and 95% of it when I'm at work (stress filled office) I just recently have tried just getting up and walking around or finding some fruit when the craving hits. I have found that waiting it out has really helped most of the time. Like it was a momentarily lapse of reason! Also, I used to have a an overwhelming need to get McDonald's french fries if I leave work hungry. I have nipped that by eating bananas or almonds about an hour before my commute home. Hang in there and good luck! :smile:
  • Sandstress1025
    Sandstress1025 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    oh! I'm very sorry for your pain. If you are at home alot then try to move more and distance from the kitchen and TV, if that helps. If I go home and watch TV with my hubby then I am tempted to drink wine and snack. not good for my hips
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth and have always used treats to deal with my emotions. Lately I have been putting fruit in a blender (usually strawberries and pineapple) and eating that instead. It's not quite as good as a sugary treat, but at 150 calories it's a close enough substitute. Maybe try finding healthier alternatives until you can foster new coping techniques.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Take a walk.

Not even joking with this, I struggle with depression. And when I get blue or stressed I stress eat. What really helps is exercise. Take a walk, go to the gym, play with the dog, clean the house, do some sit-ups. Anything to get you moving.