Protein Intake

Options
MFP always shows that I am over on Protein... and I am a vegetarian!!! (I occasionally eat fish but only about 2-3x/week) I also lift weights; freeweights & machines, as much weight as I can, at least 4x/week. (I alternate upper & lower body lifting days; each workout takes about 20 mins). Can I rely on MFP's Protein intake guidelines?

Replies

• CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    what food s are you eating that contain protein? As a Vegetarian are you opposed to protein? or meat products?
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    This site is accurate.You should be just fine.Keep up the hard work.:smile:
  • tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    do you eat beans? and some rice has protein
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    No it is low.....you are okay if you are going over
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've heard that they're low. As long as you're getting enough fats and carbs, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting 4X a week I'd suggest at least 1gram of protein per pound of body weight.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    You can adjust the levels under your goals. I have heard the protein amounts are too low but I have never gone over on the protein, fat or carbs. But you have to adjust it to suit your level of activity and nutritional goals
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, bikerchick, but I don't worry about it. I've heard several people say that the default protein settings on MFP are a little low, and I think my diet is pretty healthy, so I figured it was okay. Just for the heck of it, I mentioned it to my doctor on Monday when I went for my physical, and he said, "Look, everything in moderation. All protein diets like Atkins are dangerous, and no protein diets are just as bad, but based on what you're telling me, I think you're fine."

When I hit my next 10 lbs and have MFP recalculate my goals, I plan to adjust my protein settings up a bit just so I don't see those stupid red numbers, but I wouldn't sweat it at all if I were you.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    MFP default guidelines are way low on protein. You can set them higher yourself. You can quite safely double or even triple the default setting. Or you can look ar the default setting as a bare minimum that you should be reaching every day, whereas the carb and fat settings would be maximums. It is generally recommended that an active person should be eating 0.7-1.0 grams of protein per pound of desired body weight. For example, if your desired weight is 140 pounds, you should be aiming for between 98 to 140 grams of protein per day. Hope this helps!
  • bikerchick2
    bikerchick2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the advice and information. Divens, I'm not opposed to protein at all. I just avoid animal products for the most part. My sources of protein include soy milk (every day), tofu (several x / week), beans (several x/week), meat "analogues" (like veggie meatballs & quorn) from the produce & freezer section, & occasionally fish. All of these are of course incredibly low in fat. I'm just afraid if I don't get enought protein considering 4-5 weightlifting sessions / week, my workouts may not be paying off.