From gym rat to pregnant to post birth diet - ughhhh!!!

Options
webuiltthisnicky
webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I was so spoiled before I got pregnant!

I used to be a bit of a gym rat. I'm talking free weights, high kicks, grunting, leaving the floor absolutely dripping in sweat, disgusting and not sorry gym rat. I never worried about what I ate (within reason) because I was burning it off.

Then I got pregnant and although I was out on pelvic rest for placenta previa and couldn't exercise, it was fine. I dealt with it because I wanted my baby to arrive safely. I put all thoughts of my weight aside and basked in everyone's compliments about my big bump.

Then I had the baby and realised how little statutory maternity leave actually is, and I can't afford my gym sub. No problem, I thought. I'll shift the baby weight by dieting. I redownloaded mfp yesterday. Suddenly I have to watch what I eat.

I have been SO SPOILED! This is awful lol! I ate my breakfast at six this morning when I got up with the baby, it's now two o clock and i still haven't decided what I can have for lunch to keep my calories under the limit. I keep hmming and haaing and then wandering back into the living room for a bit. I'm starving and my head is pounding. when do I get used to it?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How many weeks post partum are you? Are you breastfeeding?

If you're breastfeeding, do not cut your calories below 1800 (as the ABSOLUTE minimum) or your supply is going to tank. You need to fuel yourself to keep that milk supply up. You should also not aim for more than a .5/lbs loss.

If you've been cleared by your OBGYN, you can do light exercise. Take baby out for a walk if you can.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to your OB GYN about realist expectations for losing any pregnancy weight- esp if you are breast feeding! You need those extra calories and what not to help produce milk. Please be kind to yourself- you're a new mom! And congrats on the baby!!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters, consult your physician, your baby's health and yours is more important than weight loss at the moment. If you're breast feeding you need the extra calories because the baby is taking them from you. Otherwise your body will cannibalize itself to try and keep up and that's not good. Do yourself a favor and eat at maintenance level calories until you can talk to your doctor about it.
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    Thanks for dropping by folks!

I'm twelve weeks postpartum and not breastfeeding due to some medication I have to take, so I thought I'd be well in the clear. I haven't actually spoken to a health professional about my own physical state since three weeks when the community midwife discharged me (and even at that she spent more time with me on her caseload than most because my labour was traumatic). I'll check with my GP when I bring Oliver in for his vaccinations.

To be honest I might have done things a bit too suddenly. I was at a wedding last week and panicked when I saw that only one of my dresses still fit me properly, so I've kind of barrelled into the diet thing head first. Maybe I should have cut the calories gradually?Aybe by a hundred calories every few days until I'm down to 1500?

The weather is just starting to improve here now so I'm hoping I can take the wee one out in the pram for walks soon. <3
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is a lot of calories (check under the activity, I think its there)
    I know a woman on my feed logs about 500 cal/day for that.

Make sure you add in that activity to up your target goal. You still want to take care of that baby...
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Have you heard the motto "9 months on, 9 months off"? I know that sounds like "too long", but you need to be kind to your body. It made a human. You need to eat. You don't need a gym membership - trust me, the absence of core muscles is pretty disheartening at this point. Start slow, get back to it, and things will happen. Maybe start by setting your target to 0.5 lb/week and once you're used to making decisions and tracking, you can dial it up to 1 lb/week.

Start with walking. Get your stamina up. Then work up to some at home workouts - yoga and pilates are great to rebuild some core. Your body does come back, but it takes some time. Be kind and patient.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of home exercises too, if you feel up to exercising again and you get the clear from a midwife or GP. I usually workout when the kids are napping. YouTube has many free videos you can try. :) (I love 30 Day Shred and Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels since they're quick and leave me a sweaty puddle on the floor, especially after I had my babies)

Make sure you're drinking enough water/fluids too, sometimes hunger is actually thirst. Good luck!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you're not breastfeeding then you should be able to do a decent deficit and get started. Just don't do a huge deficit if you want your skin to bounce back, it may sound a like a good idea to lose it fast but loose skin is a pain. Maybe a 1lb/wk deficit with plenty of exercise might be the best idea. Most people, including myself, jumped right in at a 2lb/wk loss and it's tough to manage. I even managed to injure myself doing too much on a steep deficit the first year. Good luck!
  • webuiltthisnicky
    Options
    I actually really like the idea of starting a bit of yoga. I've lost a lot of flexibility since I stopped working out so I think it might help!
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? (Are you weighing your food?)

Also, how tall and how much would you like to lose?

Congratulations on the baby! (Can we have a pic? Pretty please?)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I actually really like the idea of starting a bit of yoga. I've lost a lot of flexibility since I stopped working out so I think it might help!

Congrats on your new baby. And if you gave birth vaginally, you'd be surprised by how much more flexible you are. My trainer told me she didn't get her splits until after she had her baby b/c everything opened up down there. So you might find that flexibility comes a little easier than before. Still ease into it, but it may come easier. Look into Yoga With Adrienne on Youtube, she has A LOT of yoga videos and uploads a new one every Wednesday.