Scale or No Scale?

Options
Namasayyy
Namasayyy Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2017 in Getting Started
I've seen a lot of discussion about using a scale. So I would like some real opinions and if you do use a scale what scale do you use?

This can be for food or body. I would like to hear both opinions.

Replies

• SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey! It all depends on how you view the scale. There was a time in my life when the scale absolutely ruled my day. If it was down - life was great. If it was up - the day sucked. Finally I came to realize that there are so many things that impact my relationship with gravity and the scale was going to bounce around but if the trend was down - then what I was doing was working. I weigh daily - many suggest weekly or even monthly. I find it very interesting to see how it fluctuates day to day. That said - I use a digital scale but I could not tell you the brand. I spent about $50 for it. Went for something mid-range.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Scale - I weigh everyday, not just for accountability but if it goes up, I take a look at sodium levels from the day before and makes me more conscious.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about a food scale or body weight scale?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Namasayyy wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of discussion about using a scale. So I would like some real opinions and if you do use a scale what scale do you use?

I use a scale because I have a distorted view of portion size. I choose to take the recommended portion size on the package (for example 2 oz of sandwich meat) and weigh that out rather than decide how much I want and weigh how much I am eating. It is so much more accurate than eyeballing or measuring cups.

I have a flat scale that weighs up to 10 kg (22 lb) because then I can put my bowl or pan on it and weigh each item I put in when cooking a dish. There are many good brands out there that do the same and you can expect to pay somewhere between $15 and $50 for one.
  • Kimbe7
    Kimbe7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a small (Martha Stewart) food scale that I use when in doubt as to portion size. Am in the market for a digital one, as the lines are getting harder to read as I age... :p
  • Namasayyy
    Options

Body for this one.
  • Namasayyy
    Options

Body for this one.

But most people are talking about food scales which I hadn't even thought of.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No scale! Your health is NOT a number on the scale! If you want goals to keep you accountable, look into Body fat percentage, measurements, before and after pictures. If you MUST weigh yourself, don't do it everyday! Try once a month to start. Typically when people don't see a number on the scale that they were expecting or wanting, it is harder for them to stay motivated. Some people say the scale is a motivator, but majority of us get more discouraged than anything!

Please don't make sweeping generalizations about what people should or shouldn't do. I disagree with everything in your post and find, for myself, weighing daily is an important part of the process and is helpful to me.

Individuals need to figure out what works for them. If no scale works for you, then say so and say why, but please don't assume that everyone responds the same.

I weigh and track daily using a weight trending website, Trendweight. I can see the daily flucuations and better understand what y weight is doing and how what I eat (sodium, alcohol) impacts my weight. My scale also gives me BF%, but that's a crapshoot.

But if you are talking about a food scale, then if you are counting calories (and I assume you are as you are on MFP), then yeah. I'd say get one. It is too easy to underestimate how much you are eating without one.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Body for this one.

I prefer to have one but I try to not step on it more than once a week. Each person is different so you need to know yourself. Will having a scale make you obsess about the numbers? If not, then get one. If so, then find someplace you can weigh yourself on occasion like the gym or Dr. office. Just remember that your weight will vary depending on the time of day, what you are wearing, and other factors like PMS water retention for the ladies.

if you have one at home, make sure you step on it at the same time of day and wearing the same thing. I prefer to do it first thing in the morning, nude, after the toilet but before the coffee.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I carry a Taylor digital food scale in my purse. I have another (larger) one at home but don't know the brand off the top of my head.

I think my home scale for body weight is a digital Biggest Loser scale because 200 lbs ago, I needed something that would actually go up that high. My doctor's office has a fancy TANITA scale that measures lean mass, fat mass, body fat % etc, and gives a printout. I think when I hit my goal I will buy a home version that does not print.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Body for this one.

But most people are talking about food scales which I hadn't even thought of.

A body scale is very useful, but not necessary. Some prefer to track their body measurements. Both work, but having a method to check your progress so that you can make any necessary adjustments to your weight loss plan is important.

As for a food scale, that's absolutely essential, IMO.
  • powwlita
    powwlita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale when I cook at home and I have one at work to dole out portion sizes. I weigh myself officially once a week. I get on the scale every now and then between official weigh ins to see how im doing. I don't get upset, but it lets me know that I need to cut back if the numbers aren't changing.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So I like it because im a quantitative type of person (engineer) and this is a concrete method of measurement. Im also super duper lazy and doing measurements to find out body fat is a hassle when I can just step on a scale in the morning.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale when cooking at home, it gives me a good idea of what real portions look like. It's a "good cook" brand. As for weighing yourself, everyone is different, I found I became too obsessed with the number and was weighing everyday. Had to stop and now only weigh once a month. I know if I'm honest with my logging and weigh my portions, along with exercise, than I will lose. It really works! Good luck finding what works for you.