Will I ever be able to eat chocolate again?

Options
Ive noticed that when I eat chocolate (my favorite is the fiber one brownies), that I start craving soda, fatty foods, and salty foods (chips). And of course it makes me crave more chocolate. And I always cave! It's like I can't help myself!

Will I ever be able to eat chocolate again!??!!!

Replies

• auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It gives me the same cravings but I often use it as a reward to myself for a day of healthy eating. I eat it right before bed and sleep off the related cravings. :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Maybe try unsweetened cacao with some coffee or a chocolate protein powder?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I can eat two small pieces of Dove dark chocolate (Hershey's dark is gross) in the evenings and not have any cravings...
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup is addictive ain't it?
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just go straight darker chocolate. What you're eating, despite the fiber, STILL has fructose involved. Fructose = higher insulin secretion = all kinds of bad stuff. Anyway darker, less sweet chocolate will do just fine and won't give you the shakes from sugar cravings :)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Go for darker chocolate and keep anything else you crave away! (i.e. don't buy it!)
  • novaroo
    novaroo Posts: 17
    Options
    i am the same, if i start to eat it, i can't stop so i usually just avoid it. Saying that, if you want some, break yourself off a little bit of chocolate(or take some chocs out of bag etc) and then allow yourself just that and no more. Now that i am eating fruit or having a yoghurt instead of "bad" treats, i'm finding that i don't crave chocolate as much(and i really am a chocoholic so that's saying a LOT!)
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    Weird! I've never had any cravings while enjoying ANY type of sweet, including chocolate (my favorite). But everybody is different. I'm sorry it causes cravings for you and I wish I could offer some advice, but I don't experience this. I HOPE someone has some great advice to help you because life would SUCK without chocolate!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, try eating real chocolate, not the processed chocolate bars & other similar products. I love some homemade black bean brownies made with cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate (85-100%). I can munch on plain dark chocolate, too. They don't make me crave other stuff. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar it has - and try to avoid the chocolates with corn syrup (regular or HFCS).
  • aapye78
    aapye78 Posts: 24
    Options
    According to Dr Andrew Weil, lemon juice will curb sweet tooths. After I have 1 piece of dark chocolate I have water with lemon juice. Hasn't failed me yet. just an idea
  • dboyd1981
    dboyd1981 Posts: 5
    Options
    I noticed when I first started my diet that for several weeks I could not touch the stuff because your body has been programmed to crave those things. You gave in for so long that now it wants more and more each time you eat it. Stay off all "bad" foods for at least 2 to 3 weeks, I say "bad" because they are not really its just the amount and quantity weve been allowing ourselves to have all these years. Once you have detoxed your system from feeling that all that sugar is the normal and it gets used to healthy foods then allow yourself to have chocolate 1 time a week in a very small amount. This way you are not neglecting your sweet tooth which will keep you on your diet longer, but it will also be a nice treat for doing what you should the rest of the week. I use my 1 sweet allowance a week as a job well done for staying on my diet and working out the rest of the week.
    Over time your body gets used to doing the right thing its just really hard in the beginning, GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    1 box Silken Tofu (dessert tofu) (don't drain it)
    1/2 c. Cocoa Powder
    1/2 c. Soy Milk (or any milk type product)
    1/4 c. Carob Powder
    6 tbsp. white sugar (to taste)

Throw it all in a blender or mix it all until relatively smooth. It won't go completely smooth, it's more like an old fashioned cooked pudding.

Makes 8 1/2 c. servings at 77 cals each. Most from the sugar, I'm going to try it with a sugar alternative sometime.

This is super filling, and it kills any craving for food I may have...(and it's seriously good. trust me.)
  • GentlyLosing
    GentlyLosing Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, try eating real chocolate, not the processed chocolate bars & other similar products. I love some homemade black bean brownies made with cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate (85-100%). I can munch on plain dark chocolate, too. They don't make me crave other stuff. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar it has - and try to avoid the chocolates with corn syrup (regular or HFCS).

What in the world are black bean brownies? My imagination is not accepting the data input of these three words But I love black beans...could it be possible....no, can't be....recipe?
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have black coffee with one tablespoon of hershey chocolate (home made Cafe mocha) with no cream or sugar. It's only 50 calories. I like bitter so it works for me. I use that for energy to work out. Then I have 8 ounces of light silk chocolate soy milk (only 80 calories) with 1 scoop of The Biggest Loser chocolate whey powder (only 60 calories) If I didn't have my chocolate fix in that way I think my diet would fail. I could never eat candy. Ohh no way, I'd eat one which would lead to so much more. I have very little willpower when it comes to chocolate but my morning drinks work for me. They don't taste low calorie. I almost feel like I'm cheating but I'm not and so far I have lost 22 pounds doing this.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

What in the world are black bean brownies? My imagination is not accepting the data input of these three words But I love black beans...could it be possible....no, can't be....recipe?

Here's the recipe I use. There are others out there, but I can personally vouch for this one. :drinker:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/accountant_boi/view/black-bean-brownies-103623
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to try dark chocolate. I eat something containing dark chocolate chips (a healthy fat!) nearly every day, and have still lost weight. Today I had oatmeal with raspberries and chocolate chips for lunch. It really takes care of the sweet tooth.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with chocolate. Just eat it in moderation. I love Milka, Lindt, Ritter Sport and Haribo Gummi bears (not chocolate) but I have it every day.