Strength training frequency?

Options
CLKgramma
CLKgramma Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a 65-year-old woman, 20 pounds overweight, just beginning strength training. Currently my weights are in the 10-40 pound range. My husband and I go to the gym on Monday and Friday. I try to do cardio on the off days about three times a week. I would like to add another strength day (avoiding weekends), but the only other day I have available is Thursday. That would mean two days in a row. Is that OK?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The answer really depends on what you are doing. Could you provide some detail on what exercises you are doing?

I follow Bret Contreras, a trainer who often has people do full body programs 4 (sometimes more) days per week. While the general key is that your muscles need a day of rest between being worked, intensity makes a big difference so programming back to back days where one is heavier and more intense and one is less intense, can be fine.

And if you don't want to do back to back full body days, you could do a full body program on Monday, and lower body on Thursday and upper body on Friday (or switch those two.)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You could do full body 2 days and accessories the 3rd...
  • CLKgramma
    Options
    DancingMoose, not sure I know what you mean by accessories.

Jemhh, this is my routine. Everything is 15 reps and 2 sets.

Chest press 10 lb
    Pull down 30 lb
    Shoulder press 10 lb
    Bicep Curl 25 lb
    Tricep ext 35 lb
    Low row 30 lb
    Abdominals 35 lb
    Seated drip 40 lb
    Leg press 35 lb
    Leg ext 25 lb
    Leg Curl 30 lb
    Inner thigh 35 lb
    Outer thigh 35 lb
    Glutes 30 lb

I thought about whole body Mon, legs Thurs and arms Fri, but wouldn't it be the same to just do whole body Mon and Fri? I appreciate your input.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    CLKgramma wrote: »
    I thought about whole body Mon, legs Thurs and arms Fri, but wouldn't it be the same to just do whole body Mon and Fri?

Basically.. unless you did more sets on your split days.

Another option.. which is probably what i would do.. is to do a full-body workout at home on Wednesday. A simple bodyweight routine can be done with minimal equipment, like Nerd Fitness' program:
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

That would balance out your machine workout, which is poor at developing functional strength, since the machines support your body (unnatural). At some point, consider incorporating more freeweights. A good strength program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    CLKgramma wrote: »
    I thought about whole body Mon, legs Thurs and arms Fri, but wouldn't it be the same to just do whole body Mon and Fri?

Basically.. unless you did more sets on your split days.

Another option.. which is probably what i would do.. is to do a full-body workout at home on Wednesday. A simple bodyweight routine can be done with minimal equipment, like Nerd Fitness' program:
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

That would balance out your machine workout, which is poor at developing functional strength, since the machines support your body (unnatural). At some point, consider incorporating more freeweights. A good strength program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:

I was thinking that if she split up her FB routine on Thurs/Fri, she could use higher weights. I've never looked at NROL for Life. Is it FB or a split (or a template for either?)
  • CLKgramma
    Options
    Thanks I really like that nerd bodyweight circuit!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You could easily split the 2 back to back days an have no problems.
    Day 1 vertical push/vertical pull/squat/hinge
    Day 2 horizontal push/horizontal pull/lunge/different squat variation