Getting back into jogging,with a stroller added.

Options
I used to love running, and want to get back into it. It's been 5 years since I was a consistent runner.
I had my little girl Summer of 2015.
In the Spring of last year, I started jogging again.
I tried jogging with a stroller for a while,but dropped it altogether once Winter arrived.
I attempted the treadmill at the gym,but it's miserable and I hate it. It hurts my shins and it's boring.
Anyway, just looking for tips on pushing a 28lb toddler,in a stroller,while I run.

Replies

• Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    lol - I don't have any advice.

But for a second there, I had a funny vision of someone running on a treadmill with a stroller
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, invest in a jogging stroller--I would suggest borrowing one, if you can, to figure out if this is a long-time thing as they are a significant investment. Just like everything else related to running--start slow. Pushing a 28 lb toddler, plus the stroller, is going to be harder than running on the treadmill. Start with a slow pace and short, flat distances. Work your way up with respect to pace, distance, and hills.
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, start slow and build up, but you basically just have to go out and do it. Remember it will be like any other run, sometimes the run is fantastic and sometimes it just flat out sucks. I started running with a jogger with my oldest (now 9) and 2 dogs. I look like an all out circus some days with dog leashes getting tangled or kids throwing toys out, but I still enjoy it!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I agree with the jogging stroller, and just to motivate you, I used to run in a trail close to my house during summer, and a mom use to run with a jogging stroller in one hand and a dog in a leash on the other. She ran faster than I did (I'm a newbie runner).
  • NerdyWord33
    NerdyWord33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lol - I don't have any advice.

But for a second there, I had a funny vision of someone running on a treadmill with a stroller

*Cues montage music from Rocky*
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    As already mentioned, start slow and build up, but you basically just have to go out and do it. Remember it will be like any other run, sometimes the run is fantastic and sometimes it just flat out sucks. I started running with a jogger with my oldest (now 9) and 2 dogs. I look like an all out circus some days with dog leashes getting tangled or kids throwing toys out, but I still enjoy it!

I am way to clumsy for all of that! Haha
    She slept when she was smaller. You're right. I've just gotta make myself go do it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I recommend a Bob stroller. The best jogging/running stroller out there. Great general stroller too. I had a double and could steer and turn it with one hand. The maneuverability was amazing and easy to push even with 3 kids in it.
  • NerdyWord33
    edited February 2017
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    If you haven't already, invest in a jogging stroller--I would suggest borrowing one, if you can, to figure out if this is a long-time thing as they are a significant investment. Just like everything else related to running--start slow. Pushing a 28 lb toddler, plus the stroller, is going to be harder than running on the treadmill. Start with a slow pace and short, flat distances. Work your way up with respect to pace, distance, and hills.[
    Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. The park I jog at has several small hills,even on the easiest route.
    Maybe just start at a track instead? I definitely have a jogging stroller. Nothing too fancy, but it's pretty nice.
  • NerdyWord33
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I recommend a Bob stroller. The best jogging/running stroller out there. Great general stroller too. I had a double and could steer and turn it with one hand. The maneuverability was amazing and easy to push even with 3 kids in it.

I already own a jogging stroller. I requested one as a gift instead of a regular stroller. It's Jeep brand and was great for hiking/what jogging I managed to do before Winter.