Intermittent fasting

Options
Anyone do intermittent fasting here with good results?

As in eating what you want during your eating window....whether that be 5:2, 4:3, alternate day fasting, 16:8, one meal a day...etc etc. No restrictions while you eat. But fasting when not eating.

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You still have to stay within your calorie goal, but eating fewer meals helps some in that regard.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There are still restrictions...you still have to create a calorie deficit, whether it's from the fasting days (where you eat at maintenance on the other 4 or 5) or from your regular deficit goal during 16:8.
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have tried 16:8 before. But if you eat what you want, that won't help you lose fat. Cuz, trust me, I could even eat 10.000 calories in 8 hours :smiley:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm doing something called "meals". I wait until I'm hungry, and then I eat whatever I want in the amounts I want. Then I stop eating, and don't eat again until it's time for the next "meal". Most days, those "meals" are eaten within 6 to 8 hours.

I'm maintaining a healthy weight doing this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Anyone do intermittent fasting here with good results?

As in eating what you want during your eating window....whether that be 5:2, 4:3, alternate day fasting, 16:8, one meal a day...etc etc. No restrictions while you eat. But fasting when not eating.

IF isn't some magic get-out-of-jail-free card or anything. The calories you eat within your designated 'window' count just as much as they would at any other time of the day. If you are over your total calorie allotment for any given week - regardless of when you ate these calories - you *will* gain weight.

I do 16:8. It works for me because I've never been a breakfast person, and it seemed silly to force myself to eat when I wasn't even hungry.

My first meal of the day is lunch between 1 and 2 p.m. Skipping breakfast then leaves me with enough room for a good dinner, as well as a few treats in the afternoon or evening. This works very well for me, but everyone is different. It will take some trial and error for you to figure out what you best respond to. :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eating patterns do not negate the calorie balance. I use IF and stick to a calorie deficit and am losing fat nicely.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. I also do "meals" but I eat them between the hours of 12:30 pm and 6:30 pm. This is what feels good for me. My appetite is under better control I sleep better to name just a couple of the ways it has been good for me. I eat what I want to eat or what I know will not affect me poorly. Some foods just make me feel sleepy or exceedingly hungry so I avoid those items no matter what anyway. If I want pizza for dinner I will have it. If I want cake I will have it. Obviously in reasonable amounts. Some people find that intermittent fasting does not agree with them. It agrees with me and I prefer it.
  • Tama072015
    Tama072015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have had very good luck and this is a rest of my life change for me. I enjoy 5:2 and 16/8.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 but sometimes if my stomach is growling I'll have a small snack. I like to push my meals as far into the day as possible to leave room for going out to dinner/treats/beer etc. BUT i still stay within my calories.