Not losing anything.. need advice!

Options
I've been doing MFP along with C25K and am on week 5 and not lost one single pound. I'm so discouraged and am getting close to the "why bother " moment and just face facts. I don't know what's going on. Last time I did this program, I lost 27 pounds in 3 months. My clothes are not looser, in fact my jeans feel tighter than ever, no visible results anywhere except I am able to jog on the treadmill now. Yes I am proud of that but am really needing to lose weight. What is going on??

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what do you weigh? What is your goal weight?

I assume your profile is set to lose and not maintain?

How many calories were you allocated? How many are you actually eating?

Are you weighing and measuring all your food/drink?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're eating too much
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all the above questions - also, try running outdoors - it's a lot more challenging than on the treadmill, and may burn a few more calories.. But yes, the mathematics suggest that you eat too much to create a deficit.
  • Kawaiidesu808
    Kawaiidesu808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating per day the last time you did your diet? If it was too low for your body size, you may have messed up your metabolism and caused it to slow down which makes it a lot harder to lose weight the next time around.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much. Are you tracking everything you eat? Do you know your TDEE?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I think you guys need to stop telling this person he/she is eating too much without knowing anything about what their diet is. Its really not fair.

Most of the time when someone isn't losing weight it's because there are inaccuracies in their logging, which will lead to them eating more than they thought they were
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Accurate logging? How are you measuring exercise calories? Are you stressed? Are you getting enough sleep?

You've succeeded before so you know you can do it. But something is missing that only you can account for. I hope you find it!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I think you guys need to stop telling this person he/she is eating too much without knowing anything about what their diet is. Its really not fair.

If one consumes too many calories, they are not going to loose weight. Unless there is an underlying medical condition. Many people are consuming more calories than they think.
  • Kelliem78
    Kelliem78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am logging every single bite I put in my mouth and stay under 1200 if not 1000 calories daily. I am open to suggestions but I don't feel as if I am over eating. I had my thyroid checked two years ago and it was fine. I am doing C25K, can't run outside because where I'm at it's too cold for my daughter to be out with me at least until spring. I am about 5'7" and weigh 248. Goal weight is 190 for now.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Kelliem78 wrote: »
    I am logging every single bite I put in my mouth and stay under 1200 if not 1000 calories daily. I am open to suggestions but I don't feel as if I am over eating. I had my thyroid checked two years ago and it was fine. I am doing C25K, can't run outside because where I'm at it's too cold for my daughter to be out with me at least until spring. I am about 5'7" and weigh 248. Goal weight is 190 for now.

How are you measuring your intake? You should be eating at least 1200, if not more (I started around those same stats and ate 1800 calories to lose), but if you're not losing eating less than that, then you're eating more than you think.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I recommend that if you are measuring that you should weigh with a digital scale. I would also make sure you aren't to low with calories and maybe try a re-feed week at maintenance calories.

If none of those work start checking your macro's. My wife doesn't lose weight no matter the calories if she isn't under 20% fat in a day.

Just food for thought
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If you're really only eating 1,200 calories a day at 5'7 you're either retaining water and it will drop soon (see lyle mcdonald's article on wooshes and squishy fat), or you are telling a lie to yourself about how much you are eating and need to be honest with yourself.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Be patient.
    Be persistent.
    Be honest.

None of us could maintain 248lb , doing C25K, and eating 1000 to 1200 calories per day. There are a tiny number of people who gain weight on 800 calories per day, and if you are one of those you already know it.
  • cheryllynn513
    cheryllynn513 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I did some reading recently, that suggested the opposite. I know in most cases if you are not losing it is because your caloric intake is too high, however if you are not eating enough calories your body will in a sense go into self defense mode. and store fat for its protection. provided you dont have any health issues and u are very confident you are logging accurately that could be a possibility, especially with the increased activity. Thats just a thought that popped into my head when you said u are taking in between 1000-1200 calories, i am by no means a professional or anything. im learning trial and error myself.
  • junestarcathy
    junestarcathy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't "eat" your exercise calories? If you don't eat them will your body go into self defense mode then? I'm having the same issue and I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough. I remember doing ww after I had my babies and it was a LOT of food I had to eat. I was also breastfeeding, but still. And sometimes I find it hard to even "eat" all my workout calories now. But I don't want my metabolism to slow down either. I might try a "maintenance" day like someone suggested and go from there..
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I never ate my exercise calories back. In the year that I was losing my weight. I did refeed weeks every 5th week. Still lost 50 lbs
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I did some reading recently, that suggested the opposite. I know in most cases if you are not losing it is because your caloric intake is too high, however if you are not eating enough calories your body will in a sense go into self defense mode. and store fat for its protection. provided you dont have any health issues and u are very confident you are logging accurately that could be a possibility, especially with the increased activity. Thats just a thought that popped into my head when you said u are taking in between 1000-1200 calories, i am by no means a professional or anything. im learning trial and error myself.

No, no, just no. Your body does not do this if you are truly eating at a calorie deficit. Your metabolism may slow a bit, but you will not store fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can offer useful advice.

You are eating too much to lose. This could be due to poor measurement skills, faulty nutritional info, a misunderstanding of eating vs netting in combination with faulty exercise calorie burns, cheat meals/days, or plain old denial.

Bottom line, your body doesn't know numbers. It just knows whether or not it needs to dip into its energy stores--fat-- to keep you going and it sounds like it hasn't needed to do that. That means you are eating too much to lose.
  • ccems1634
    ccems1634 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

No, no, just no. Your body does not do this if you are truly eating at a calorie deficit. Your metabolism may slow a bit, but you will not store fat.

Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into self defense mode and hold onto fat. Your body will basically say "I don't know when the next time I will get food so here let me store EVERYTHING!" Now with that being said, calorie deficient can help in weight loss but it can't be extreme deficit. Someone eating less than 1200 calories is too much of a deficit. Start eating and you will start seeing the weight loss. Type in your info and activity, find out how many calories you're supposed to be eating and eat them. Pick healthy, whole foods and you will loose weight.