Vegetables out of a bag unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I found a slug in my frozen raspberries once. Found it with my mouth.

Ughh. (Don't know why, exactly, since I've eaten escargot, but still, ughh.)

As a kid, one time I was pulling grapes off the stems by the bagful for my mom so she could make jelly, and eventually you get to the point where you don't really need to look at the grapes or your hands to do it. Don't know what it was that made look down to see I was just about to "pluck" a snail and toss it in the jelly pot. Uggh.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

As a kid, one time I was pulling grapes off the stems by the bagful for my mom so she could make jelly, and eventually you get to the point where you don't really need to look at the grapes or your hands to do it. Don't know what it was that made look down to see I was just about to "pluck" a snail and toss it in the jelly pot. Uggh.

I'm less bothered by slugs and snails because I remember as a child we grew fruit in our garden and they'd often have slugs etc on then. Not sure I'd want to see them in pre-packaged food though- yuk.
    I also remember,years ago,my mum finding a chicken embryo in an egg. Was a long time before I could touch eggs after that.
    This thread is starting to give me persistent nausea :s
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    I'm trying to stay away from anything in a bag or box but I really am unsure if vegetables in a bag are unhealthy for you?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/01/health-risks-packaged-greens/2610153/

To the OP: This article is several years old, but still partly answers your question. It points out how bacterial contamination is higher in packaged greens. Overall, it's a small risk and the industry has taken safety steps over the past several years.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm a little disheartened by the hatred of microwaved brussles sprouts. :( It's microwave or stovetop steamed for me.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I'm less bothered by slugs and snails because I remember as a child we grew fruit in our garden and they'd often have slugs etc on then. Not sure I'd want to see them in pre-packaged food though- yuk.
    I also remember,years ago,my mum finding a chicken embryo in an egg. Was a long time before I could touch eggs after that.

We had chickens growing up. I cracked an embryo into the fry pan.

Didn't eat eggs for about 15 years.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Ugh. :s
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I haven't had frozen veggies in 15 years. Have they gotten any better? My mom always bought frozen and they were limp and soggy.

Most all frozen fruit and veg are flash frozen now, but cooking method plays a huge factor in whether or not frozen veg ends up limp or soggy. Very high heat stir frying, for example, results in frozen veg that maintains its crispness.

Exactly. Sounds like your mom just overcooked them. My mom does that with fresh green beans. Cooks them to mush and thinks they're great.

Blaahhh i bet plenty of adults won't eat veggies because of the way their parents cooked them when they were young, and they assume that's what vegetables are meant to be like. Boiled to death veggies taste terrible, and so do canned veggies, if this is what they were fed growing up, I can't blame them for disliking them.

That's me. I hated broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and beets for this very reason.

I love those now that I've had them roasted properly. Heck, I'd probably consider Brussels sprouts one of my favorites.

I'm sure this is the case for too many people who grew up on those frozen microwaved or boiled Brussels sprouts. They were just awful! I like them braised in olive oil and white wine as well.

They're also great roasted with bacon!

But to be fair, everything's better with bacon.

I've roasted brussel sprouts with apples and topped with bacon crumbles. So *kitten* good.

ETA: worked fine with frozen sprouts and frozen apple slices.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm a little disheartened by the hatred of microwaved brussles sprouts. :( It's microwave or stovetop steamed for me.

Yeah, I actually like frozen Brussel sprouts. Heat, crack some pepper on, good to go.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I love frozen veggies ... eat them all the time.

5 days a week, my lunch is a package of steamfresh veggies (2 servings) plus rice and chicken or maybe a soup or something.

And then we have about 3 servings of various frozen veggies for dinner ... lightly cooked so they're still just a bit crunchy.

If I go a few days without for some reason, I really miss those veggies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I haven't had frozen veggies in 15 years. Have they gotten any better? My mom always bought frozen and they were limp and soggy.

Most all frozen fruit and veg are flash frozen now, but cooking method plays a huge factor in whether or not frozen veg ends up limp or soggy. Very high heat stir frying, for example, results in frozen veg that maintains its crispness.

Exactly. Sounds like your mom just overcooked them. My mom does that with fresh green beans. Cooks them to mush and thinks they're great.

Blaahhh i bet plenty of adults won't eat veggies because of the way their parents cooked them when they were young, and they assume that's what vegetables are meant to be like. Boiled to death veggies taste terrible, and so do canned veggies, if this is what they were fed growing up, I can't blame them for disliking them.

That's me. I hated broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and beets for this very reason.

I love those now that I've had them roasted properly. Heck, I'd probably consider Brussels sprouts one of my favorites.

I'm sure this is the case for too many people who grew up on those frozen microwaved or boiled Brussels sprouts. They were just awful! I like them braised in olive oil and white wine as well.

They're also great roasted with bacon!

But to be fair, everything's better with bacon.

I've roasted brussel sprouts with apples and topped with bacon crumbles. So *kitten* good.

ETA: worked fine with frozen sprouts and frozen apple slices.

That's it. I'm making some.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »

While fresh is great, if you live in an area that has a limited growing season, or simply don't enjoy the taste of gassed/overseas fruits and veggies, then frozen, without any added anything is best. The term "processed" is often misused, IMO. Not all of us have the privilege (or want to) hunt down or grow our food. We live in cities, and ordinances exist. Not to mention, if you fabricate meat (remove the meat of an animal from the carcass), peel a fruit, or even wrap up your leftovers for the next day, your food has been processed. Of course, it may not be mass-produced, but processed nonetheless.

Cooking is also a process, so unless you eat everything raw, chances are you're eating something "processed" every day.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Whoa. Someone must have missed an egg for a while for that to have happened. It takes two days of incubation before an embryo even starts to form and it's just blood vessels for another week or so.
  • cmtigger
    Options

So much truth in this! I didn't even know what fresh vegetables looked like until I left home. Best first meal I had was at the homeless shelter where the pastor was slicing a carrot for the stew, and I was like "Man, how does he keep it from melting?" But, I was also an 80s kid with guardians who thought the monthly cable bill and a functioning television set made an excellent babysitter :D

While fresh is great, if you live in an area that has a limited growing season, or simply don't enjoy the taste of gassed/overseas fruits and veggies, then frozen, without any added anything is best. The term "processed" is often misused, IMO. Not all of us have the privilege (or want to) hunt down or grow our food. We live in cities, and ordinances exist. Not to mention, if you fabricate meat (remove the meat of an animal from the carcass), peel a fruit, or even wrap up your leftovers for the next day, your food has been processed. Of course, it may not be mass-produced, but processed nonetheless.

I find that a lot of folks live in this little bubble where they think (at most) only 100 people exist in the world. Farmers, large and small, exist for a reason. They have to find ways to get food to as many people as possible, in as safe and hygienic a manner. BILLIONS of people. That's a far cry from the lil' urban dweller who thinks they're doing anything with their windowsill tomato plant :D

So, of course you're going to find plenty of healthy choices, both bulk (loose) and bagged. Finally, I hate to break it to you, but many stores, including our beloved Sprouts and Whole Foods, often receive the bulk goods in bags/packing sacks within crates, which they open to remove the product for display. So, technically, the wild, bulk stuff was still bagged at some point. Hate to burst anyone's fantasies. Apologies if I did :*

This is so important. People forget or don't know that there was a real fear in the 1960's that the world population growth would outpace the world's food production. Today thanks to the industrialization of farming there is enough food produced to feed every person on Earth. The only reason famine and hunger exist is a lack of access. If somebody has the privilege to support small farms, organic, hunt, or home garden, that's fine, but that's not how the world stays fed. If we went back to the small scale farms, no GMO's, synthetic fertilizers or pesticides of the pre-WWII days food prices would skyrocket and many more Americans would face food insecurity.

I've had so many people not understand that food is easier to get now than any time in history. It's a huge reason why weight is also a bigger problem than any time in history. More calories are easily available.

I think that overall, in the 20 years I've been an adult, food prices have not risen as much as other expenses in my budget.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Whoa. Someone must have missed an egg for a while for that to have happened. It takes two days of incubation before an embryo even starts to form and it's just blood vessels for another week or so.

It was a long time ago - I'm quite old! :p My mum used to get eggs from a local farm.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Worse egg I found had a half-formed chick in it (enough to recognize it's a chicken and be grossed out). The eggs were from a local farm and, iirc, candled. It's why I will only buy eggs from the supermarket.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Worse egg I found had a half-formed chick in it (enough to recognize it's a chicken and be grossed out). The eggs were from a local farm and, iirc, candled. It's why I will only buy eggs from the supermarket.
    That really shouldn't happen. I have a state egg handlers permit and if I find a stash of eggs of an unknown age hidden in my yard they get thrown out. I'm expected to keep to the same standards as a corporate farm for safety except salmonella testing- lower risk and easier to trace.

I wouldn't label all farms bad because of one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

So much truth in this! I didn't even know what fresh vegetables looked like until I left home. Best first meal I had was at the homeless shelter where the pastor was slicing a carrot for the stew, and I was like "Man, how does he keep it from melting?" But, I was also an 80s kid with guardians who thought the monthly cable bill and a functioning television set made an excellent babysitter :D

I find that a lot of folks live in this little bubble where they think (at most) only 100 people exist in the world. Farmers, large and small, exist for a reason. They have to find ways to get food to as many people as possible, in as safe and hygienic a manner. BILLIONS of people. That's a far cry from the lil' urban dweller who thinks they're doing anything with their windowsill tomato plant :D

So, of course you're going to find plenty of healthy choices, both bulk (loose) and bagged. Finally, I hate to break it to you, but many stores, including our beloved Sprouts and Whole Foods, often receive the bulk goods in bags/packing sacks within crates, which they open to remove the product for display. So, technically, the wild, bulk stuff was still bagged at some point. Hate to burst anyone's fantasies. Apologies if I did :*

This is so important. People forget or don't know that there was a real fear in the 1960's that the world population growth would outpace the world's food production. Today thanks to the industrialization of farming there is enough food produced to feed every person on Earth. The only reason famine and hunger exist is a lack of access. If somebody has the privilege to support small farms, organic, hunt, or home garden, that's fine, but that's not how the world stays fed. If we went back to the small scale farms, no GMO's, synthetic fertilizers or pesticides of the pre-WWII days food prices would skyrocket and many more Americans would face food insecurity.

I think that overall, in the 20 years I've been an adult, food prices have not risen as much as other expenses in my budget.

I've found the opposite to be true, food is our biggest expense. It's only me and hubby at home and i spend at least $200 a week on food, red meat such as a good steak is a treat rather than a staple for us these days. Even the most simplest of take away's wont be under $20 for the two of us.
    I do live in Australia, our food prices are probably double what those in the U.S pay.

• TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Some cans are lined with BPA which is unhealthy. Only way I can see bagged veggies example being frozen as thats the most commonly thought of when you think veggies in a bag or at least idea. Anyways! Only way they could be 'bad' would be if they are loaded with chems and other junk from the grower and the bags are made with a toxic make up not approved by the FDA for food packaging.

If you're unsure then I'd suggest buying your veggies from an organic store.
  • cmtigger
    Options

I've found the opposite to be true, food is our biggest expense. It's only me and hubby at home and i spend at least $200 a week on food, red meat such as a good steak is a treat rather than a staple for us these days. Even the most simplest of take away's wont be under $20 for the two of us.
    I do live in Australia, our food prices are probably double what those in the U.S pay.

Red meat has always been out of my reach, and I've never done a lot of restaurant food because of my budget. Take out or sit down restaurant food is more expensive because minimum wage has gone up. I'm mainly referring to my basic groceries.