What to do about the diet police?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are usually a few threads posted by people living at home with families who don't, won't eat healthy and try to dissuade a person's weight loss efforts. Maybe reading such threads would help you put your situation in a different perspective.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If your family is paying for your weight watchers, I can see how they want a say in your food choices...They're looking for a return on their investment. Perhaps they would be less involved in your food choices if you cancel your weight watchers membership and use MFP to keep track of your calories? If they see you managing and controlling your food choices regularly, it might be easier to explain to them that occasionally you treat yourself with fast food while staying within the same calorie goals they see you eat within regularly.

It was the personal training that was the big money bomb and I've cancelled it now. My main problem is food. I suggested quiting Weight Watchers and they want me to keep going.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Track here for a week and see if you like it. If you want to make the switch tell your parents you have tried a different app you like and would want to drop the Weight Watchers. It doesn't matter what their answer is. If they want to pay for WW, whatever, but they can't stop you from logging on MFP and using the forums for support.

Also, you never mentioned if you were on any meds. I know from personal experience that antipsychotics give me a strong urge to eat everything. I have a family member on lithium and depakote with the same problem. As long as I remind myself its just the meds telling me I should eat all the food I can leave the kitchen empty handed. It doesn't hurt to look up side effects of medications for "weight gain" and bring up any concerns on your next visit with psychiatrist.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I feel like if I ate unhealthy food infront of them, it would be really disrespectful.

I suggested quiting Weight Watchers and they want me to keep going.

Looking at these two quotes in the context of the other things you wrote, it seems like you are thinking like a child instead of taking responsibility for your own needs. It is hard to break out of that pattern with one's parents, especially when living with them, but it is possible.

Here's a lesson it took me way too long to learn: Nobody is going to just give you respect. You must respect yourself and firmly but politely demand it from others.

As long as you keep rolling over instead of standing up for yourself, your mother is going to keep walking all over you. You must stand up for yourself. If you are going to eat things that they consider unhealthy, do it in front of them and smile and confidently reject their snide comments when they make them. They are the ones being disrespectful, not you. If you want to quit Weight Watchers, quit Weight Watchers. It's your life. What they want for your life is far less important than what you want, and it's ok to politely tell them that.
  • healthypelican
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There are usually a few threads posted by people living at home with families who don't, won't eat healthy and try to dissuade a person's weight loss efforts. Maybe reading such threads would help you put your situation in a different perspective.

True
  • nitadrockon44
    nitadrockon44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight the first step is to do it for yourself, not for someone else. I have never been successful when I have tried to lose weight for a parent, spouse or anyone else. Decide what you want to do and why you want to succeed. It has taken me a year to lose 75 lbs but I am doing it for myself. I tried to get my daughter to join me in my weight loss and she basically told me to go take a flying leap and leave her alone so I did. She decided to lose on her own and has lost more than 170 lbs. I suppose the moral of the story is perhaps you may want to tell them you need to do it for yourself and they need to leave you to it and butt out. Good luck. Something my daughter taught me was to quit using excuses and just do it. That was more in line with my exercising but the same thing can apply to food.
  • healthypelican
    Options
    Today I brought myself a hot chocolate and a donut, and just made some ''healthy fudge'' (cocoa, peanut butter, coconut oil, sugar free maple syrup). Feeling a bit better. I think my dad might talk to my mother to get her to ease up a bit. If I try eating really healthy most of the time and start weighing my food again, I think she might feel more comfortable with things.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If your family is paying for your weight watchers, I can see how they want a say in your food choices...They're looking for a return on their investment. Perhaps they would be less involved in your food choices if you cancel your weight watchers membership and use MFP to keep track of your calories? If they see you managing and controlling your food choices regularly, it might be easier to explain to them that occasionally you treat yourself with fast food while staying within the same calorie goals they see you eat within regularly.

It was the personal training that was the big money bomb and I've cancelled it now. My main problem is food. I suggested quiting Weight Watchers and they want me to keep going.

I agree with so many other posts. Here's a chance to take a test run at being an adult and making this small decision for yourself. You've dug a pretty deep hole with the personal training costs and feel like you owe them for life, but we don't, or at least shouldn't do things for loved ones so that we permanently own them and can lord it over them for the rest of our lives. It doesn't have to be handled like a slap in the face, either. Thank them for the personal training, weight watchers, etc and let them know you'd like a shot at trying things out your way, and although things may be different and perhaps a bit uncomfortable, you hope they can hang in there and patiently bear with you for a while.

Every adult feels overwhelmed and feels like they have to deal with insurmountable tasks from time to time. For me, I try not to think about the whole picture ALL the time when that happens. I handle the little bit(s) I can, and let the rest of the chips fall where they may. Perhaps your mother is so involved because she wants to see you be successful. It might be a relief when she sees you taking steps to taking charge of your life - you never know!

As to your having snacks and a tendency to eat the whole thing, I still have the same issues. I'd buy the single serve options that I didn't mind eating the whole pack, and generally speaking, not keep the rest of it in the house. More recently, I bought a Kitchen Safe (ksafe they call themselves now? - pls google if interested) and do like the product.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    "I've logged the food, so it's part of a healthy weight management plan."

If someone then came out with that it was still unhealthy, I would point them to well researched articles such as this one - https://rippedbody.com/nutritional-hierarchy-importance-calories/ - and suggest they learn about it.

Of course, if the calories were outside my plan, I'd probably say "yes, I shouldn't be doing this". If that happened regularly, I'd be looking to find a way to stop that happening.
    (I work much better on my own with fairly limited amounts of food around - I'm a sucker for the temptation of full cupboards.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel you can sit down with them and say and say, "Look, I'm an adult. This is my body not yours. I didn't ask for your input. I don't want constant criticism over my choices." then I'd say develop a thicker skin, eat what you want and ignore them all or find a way to move out sooner.
    I don't think you should hide what you are eating. You are not doing anything bad and you are an adult. They are being disrespectful and controlling.
    Talk to your counselor about the situation.